Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34
Send Topic Print
90-Day Trial: Achieve an Out of Body Experience (Read 278894 times)
msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
Re: 90-Day Trial: Achieve an Out of Body Experience
Reply #60 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 4:18pm

OBE/Astral Projection Trial Day 13

Program Notes/Observations:

* While I was meditating with bwgen, I had this visual come to me of an outline of a human being lying down. No features or anything, just the outline. The peculiar thing was that the person had a void/vortex around his solar plexus. The words “Go Inward” came to mind.
    * The energy work is getting easier. The feeling isn’t as intense now, as to be expected according to MAP. I find it easier to focus on my right side rather than my left though. The whole body bouncing can be a little difficult.

Dream Notes:

* No dreams remembered, damn. I really have to set the intention each night to remember my dreams… I can’t seem to slack off yet and have it happen automatically. I’m thinking I’ll try working the “wake back to bed” method into my sleeping routine.
    * I’d really like to have a lucid dream and am still trying to build “reality checks” as a habit.

IP Logged

msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
Reply #61 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 3:49pm

OBE/Astral Projection Trial Week 3 Day 16

The past few days have focused on a lot of full-body awareness/energy raising through “full-body bounces”. The energy work has become easier to do each day, but there are also new techniques being added to learn each day – so there’s always a fresh challenge.

With my dreams, I’m definitely seeing video games as a dreamsign. I used to play video games quite a bit but not so much anymore – I just have to learn to ask myself if I’m dreaming each time I look at a screen. Another frequent dreamsign for me seems to be having people ask me questions. Almost every night I notice that someone from my past asks me a question. Perhaps I can gain lucidity if I remember to ask myself if I’m dreaming everytime someone asks me a question – but I’m not really sure if that’s practical.

Week 3

This week’s focus is on energy raising for the 3 primary energy storage centers, as well as more work on achieving mental clarity/focus (meditation). This program seems to have a nice steady build up of the prerequisite skills in having an OBE, although not actually practicing OBE attempts is a little frustrating. The time each day’s exercises take up is increasing as well, and that’s starting to take a toll on my daily schedule. I’m not doing all the optional exercises as I simply don’t have time to do them, although I do what I can and am doing more than the bare minimum.

With bwgen, there’s a new preset added to listen to before bed that’s supposed to help with lucid dreaming. I’ll give it a shot.

Day 16 Program Notes/Observations:

* My head felt especially clear after doing the “full-body circuit” energy work.
    * Using the ring technique, I was able to keep my mind clear for almost 30 seconds at the maximum. I would say the average time was about 20 seconds of nothing but me focusing on my breath before other thoughts would enter my mind.

Dream Notes:

* Video game dream sign and question dream sign occurred again. I would have never realized these dream signs before if it wasn’t for my dream journal. Before I started writing in my dream journal I was a little skeptical that I had any dream signs in the first place.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #62 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 4:01am

Hi I have experienced an OOBE  a few times, it always involved sleep paralysis or hypnagogic sleep. Wait until you are in this state and an intense buzzing effects your body, at this stage you must not get afraid but try to slip out of your body.

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #63 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 4:27am

msagansk wrote on Mar 13th, 2010 at 1:51pm:
I want to do a 90-day trial to achieve my first out of body experience (OBE).

History

For the past 10 years I’ve had an off and on interest in astral projection. I first heard about the concept in high school when I looked up a psy-trance music group that I was interested in at the time, which were aptly called “Astral Projection”. Naturally, a Google search for those two words led me to the other meaning – out of body experience.

I became quite interested in the topic and read a couple books on the subject. I tried some techniques and had some interesting experiences but I never fully got there. For whatever reason I lost interest for a while and decided to put OBE’s on the back burner.

Over the years I’d periodically regain some interest, read more about it, and try some techniques. Without much initial success I became impatient and would move on to other things. For whatever reason though, I found myself coming back to the concept over and over. Eventually I came across the work done by Robert Monroe, and read his three books:

1. Journeys Out of the Body
   2. Far Journeys
   3. Ultimate Journey

I was completely blown away. The stories were so amazing I wondered how anyone could make them up. Then I discovered that the institute he created, The Monroe Institute, was still alive and going strong. Supposedly, people are learning how to do this all the time!

I decided that it was worth pursuing completely. As I’ve matured I’ve realized that anything worth doing usually takes persistence and patience. This 90-day trial also fits into Steve Pavlina’s success strategy of 30-day trials, so I’ve decided to really give this my all and see if I really am “more than my physical body”.

Strategy

The plan I will be using is from Robert Bruce’s and Brian Mercer’s book, “Mastering Astral Projection” (MAP). That book provides a 90-day guide to having an out of body experience, which includes:

* affirmations
    * writing in a journal
    * dream recall
    * relaxation exercises
    * breath work
    * mind taming (i.e. meditation)
    * energy work (i.e. chakras)
    * binaural beats
    * exit techniques

I have read many books on out of body experiences but I’ve never come across one with such a structured, day-by-day guide. I feel like this book will help stack the deck in my favor, giving me the best possible chance at an OBE. Note that each day will be different, so it differs from typical 30-day habit forming trials.

The plan is to follow the book as closely as possible to see its effectiveness. However, since I haven’t read the entire book yet I can’t guarantee I’ll follow it completely. One basic change I’ll have to make from the start is that some exercises that are meant to be done in the afternoon will likely be done in the morning, due to my schedule.

For the most part I’m coming into this trial as a newbie. I’ve been doing some meditating everyday for the past few weeks which will help with taming my mind, but that’s about it.

MAP itself suggests reading other books during this trial, to really saturate the subconscious mind, so I’ve queued up:

* Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce (read about 50% so far at the time of this posting)
    * Adventures Beyond the Body and The Secret of the Soul by William Buhlman
    * Voyages into the Unknown, Volume 1 by Bruce Moen (I will probably get the other 4 volumes as wanted)

I’ve also signed up to various forums and communities about Astral Projection/OBE’s to try and soak up as much knowledge as I can about the subject.

Motivation

So why am I doing this? Well some people might say that it’s all just mind games, but I believe it could lead to a verification of the after-life. At the very least, I will have much more evidence supporting the belief that I am more than my physical body.

Lately I’ve been exploring what spirituality is, as I used to be an atheist. I am a pretty left-brained and a scientific/analytical type of mind, so this type of verification of a spiritual topic would be a huge validation of my beliefs. It’s one thing to believe that you have a “spirit”, but it’s an entirely different thing to know.

I feel like astral projection is almost like a Pandora’s Box for me, which could lead to a very cool spiritual journey. Some people may think it’s weird or question the whole point of exploring anything not in the “real world”. I could probably write a whole post on that point of view, but I think that growing consciously is really the whole point of life to begin with. Why close your mind off from the whole package?

Other than that, I just find this topic interesting even as a mental exercise. I’m also a pretty curious person, and I like exploring topics that are on the edges of social norms.

Public Posting

I will be posting about my experiences over the 90 days. According to the book, each week will contain a different focus so posts will be weekly at the very least. I’ll try to post daily as long as there is something interesting to report.

I’m making this experience public for many reasons, which includes:

* increasing my chances for success. Having people read and rely on my progress will give me extra motivation to follow through with the whole 90 days.
    * exposing more of who I really am, and what I am interested in. I’m sure I’ll attract other like-minded individuals who I can share and grow with.
    * helping others who want to explore out of body experiences. This is a pretty nice topic, so the more information out there, the better.
    * having writing from a newbies point of view. Writing’s on how to achieve an OBE from the perspective of a person who has them regularly is never the same as one starting from the beginning.

Wish me luck. I’ll be starting day 1 this weekend. I’d be happy to read your thoughts. Smiley

Dr. Timothy Leary's LSD Research

The following is an excerpt from Ralph Metzner's excellent book, The Psychedelic Experience. It is based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead and co-authored by the late Timothy Leary.

A psychedelic experience is a journey to new realms of consciousness. The scope and content of the experience is limitless, but its characteristic features are the transcendence of verbal concepts, of space-time dimensions, and of the ego or identity.

Such experiences of enlarged consciousness can occur in a variety of ways: sensory deprivation, yoga exercises, disciplined meditation, religious or aesthetic ecstasies, or spontaneously.

Most recently they have become available to anyone through the ingestion of psychedelic drugs such as LSD, psilocybin, mescaline, DMT, etc.

Of course, the drug does not produce the transcendent experience. It merely acts as a chemical key - it opens the mind, frees the nervous system of its ordinary patterns and structures.

The nature of the experience depends almost entirely on set and setting. Set denotes the preparation of the individual, including his personality structure and his mood at the time. Setting is physical - the weather, the room's atmosphere; social - feelings of persons present towards one another; and cultural - prevailing views as to what is real. It is for this reason that manuals or guide-books are necessary.

Their purpose is to enable a person to understand the new realities of the expanded consciousness, to serve as road maps for new interior territories which modern science has made accessible.

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Seraphis1

ALK Member

Reply #64 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 11:10am

msagansk wrote on Mar 20th, 2010 at 6:25pm:
OBE/Astral Projection Trial Day 7

* This was a doozy. The relevant part to share was that I was in my bathroom during the dream looking at myself in the mirror. For whatever reason my dream mind suddenly asked to have an OBE. I looked away from the mirror, concentrated, and looked back at the mirror. In my astonishment I looked about 20 years older. Wrinkly but with a full head of grey hair, almost like Jay Leno haha. I became scared and said “ok ok, I get the point, please put me back” and everything was back to normal… in my dream that is.

excerpted: Dr. David Hawkins - I / Subjectivity and Reality: The world of the ego is like a house of mirrors through which the ego wanders, lost and confused, as it chases the images in one mirror after another.

What do you think?

S.

IP Logged

msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
Reply #65 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 11:16am

Seraphis1 wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 11:10am:
excerpted: Dr. David Hawkins - I / Subjectivity and Reality: The world of the ego is like a house of mirrors through which the ego wanders, lost and confused, as it chases the images in one mirror after another.

What do you think?

S.

Not much to be honest. I've never really fully understood what the ego is.

IP Logged

Seraphis1

ALK Member

Reply #66 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 12:44pm

msagansk wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 11:16am:

What do you think?

S.

Hi M: Pretty soon you will find out.

S.

IP Logged

Seraphis1

ALK Member

Reply #67 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 4:05pm

msagansk wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 11:16am:

What do you think?

S.

The 'ego' (note I use lower case - this is important)... is not a thing per se it is a structure... like roots of a tree system... the roots are beliefs... and they go everywhere and affect everything in some fashion... but, you have these positions which the belief root system feeds... if your positions are held you feel good... if they get thwarted you feel bad... when you can't quickly turn off the upset situation you are controled by the need.

For example I like the program NCIS (being a military guy) it fits my ideas of military life and military justice... if I suddenly discover my program is preempted I get very upset... in the past it would take days to get over it... now I take everything in stride because I know how to adjust my positionality and CAN adjust my positionality... there is a difference between knowing what to do and doing it... I just took a bite of a chocolate bar... it would be better if I took no more bites... but when I finish this posting I probably WILL take another bite and probably finish it... can I walk away... yes... I quite smoking cold turkey.

the ego is the implus that must be satisfied or it goes berserk (hmmm where have I seen that word before... Cool )

S.

IP Logged

msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
Reply #68 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 4:54pm

Seraphis1 wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 4:05pm:
The 'ego' (note I use lower case - this is important)... is not a thing per se it is a structure... like roots of a tree system... the roots are beliefs... and they go everywhere and affect everything in some fashion... but, you have these positions which the belief root system feeds... if your positions are held you feel good... if they get thwarted you feel bad... when you can't quickly turn off the upset situation you are controled by the need.

For example I like the program NCIS (being a military guy) it fits my ideas of military life and military justice... if I suddenly discover my program is preempted I get very upset... in the past it would take days to get over it... now I take everything in stride because I know how to adjust my positionality and CAN adjust my positionality... there is a difference between knowing what to do and doing it... I just took a bite of a chocolate bar... it would be better if I took no more bites... but when I finish this posting I probably WILL take another bite and probably finish it... can I walk away... yes... I quite smoking cold turkey.

the ego is the implus that must be satisfied or it goes berserk (hmmm where have I seen that word before... Cool )

S.

Good post. Being an atheist/agnostic for the past 10 years or so along with rejecting any sort of mysticism is going to take some serious re-wiring for me.

IP Logged

Seraphis1

ALK Member

Reply #69 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 7:16pm

msagansk wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 4:54pm:
Seraphis1 wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 4:05pm:

S.

Good post. Being an atheist/agnostic for the past 10 years or so along with rejecting any sort of mysticism is going to take some serious re-wiring for me.

It depends. Why were you atheist/agnostic... and which did you favor.

S.

IP Logged

StoneColdTrue

ALK Member

Birmingham, AL
Reply #70 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 7:46pm

So breaking the ego is breaking away from what is comfortable? If thats true then I am definitely breaking my ego. But I hope that by breaking the ego I do not lose my personality or what makes me me. I understand us being all connected but I dont like the idea that in that super conscious it just turns out it's one big thing controlling everything else. In other words, we're just a puppet for a puppet master and in breaking the conscious the puppet goes away and we find we were the lonely puppet master all along.

"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. " -Bertrand Russel

IP Logged

Seraphis1

ALK Member

Reply #71 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 8:38pm

StoneColdTrue wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 7:46pm:
So breaking the ego is breaking away from what is comfortable? If thats true then I am definitely breaking my ego. But I hope that by breaking the ego I do not lose my personality or what makes me me. I understand us being all connected but I dont like the idea that in that super conscious it just turns out it's one big thing controlling everything else. In other words, we're just a puppet for a puppet master and in breaking the conscious the puppet goes away and we find we were the lonely puppet master all along.

That is an interesting rationalization... until you surrender and experience the Oneness and come back out how do you know what you lose of don't lose... Ramakrishna was still Ramakrishna one who returned to talk about it... Echart Tolle was still Eckhart Tolle, Robert Monroe was still Robert Monroe and so on and so on... nothing is lost everything is gained and one goes on from that point... but this time knowing all the answers of how it all works.

But you do have to get past the bit of ego that says... I don't want to not exist... goodbye...

S

IP Logged

msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
Reply #72 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 8:48pm

Seraphis1 wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 7:16pm:
It depends. Why were you atheist/agnostic... and which did you favor.

S.

I was Christian, then agnostic, then atheist, then agnostic, in that order.

Now I'm merely a believer in that we're more than our physical bodies and I do believe in a "source". But I'd like to try and find out more rather than just believe, hence this thread. Smiley

IP Logged

msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
Reply #73 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 8:49pm

Seraphis1 wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 8:38pm:
But you do have to get past the bit of ego that says... I don't want to not exist... goodbye...

I've had trouble with this thought as well.

IP Logged

Starcraft
Ex Member

Reply #74 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 8:58pm

Closest I have ever been to OBE is high on DXM or salvia. If I try to concentrate and force an OBE I pretty much am just making crap up in my head instead of really being OBE I am pretty much fooling myself... you know? /shrug.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.