Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
More technology using sounds to affect the brain (Read 4509 times)
Lucy

C1
More technology using sounds to affect the brain
Feb 22nd, 2010 at 9:58am

This article is in today's paper. While different from hemi-sync, it seems to me to be related to it (noise stimulation of the brain).

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2010/02/22/brown_professor_ma...

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Re: More technology using sounds to affect the brain
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 10:17am

Hi Lucy

Thanks, I enjoyed that link!
And it only took until the newspaper's fifth commentor for someone to point out the work of Robert Monroe. (Joe Moe?)  Smiley

I'm looking for somone who can tell mw how my torn ear'drum' that continually blasts me with a very high C-note (tinnitus) is effecting my brain brain brain  Cheesy

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 8:15am

One of the things that interests me is why listening to hemi-sync makes my tinnitus worse.

I had it years ago too. I think the latest theory is that it...I forget, but it has to be something that happens only in the brain because there is no "real" noise. Only I hear it. I don't know if anyone knows what part of the brain it happens in.

The funny thing is, hemi-sync is also something that happens only in the brain. The tone one hears is not "Real." Do they know what part of the brain that happens in?

But not everyone who listens ot hemi-sync has this happen to them.

(aspirin and tonic water also do a number on me, but they produce a different/second tone sometimes. And it goes away... )

After that little two-day hemi-sync workshop I took last summer I felt sick and the noise in my ears was bigger for a while.

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 1:50pm

Using noise has been in the arsenal of many armies for years now. I would not be surprised to find out that it is being used subliminally on us every time we turn on the TV or radio. In fact that may not even be nessassary any more. When peoples perception can be effected by sound, as Monroe has shown, you can bet there is someone using it, or attempting to use it for no good. Use this as an example. If you were on the fighting field and all the sudden you started having hallucinations of people talking to you, or perhaps a fear inducement, how might that effect you. Sound can be used as a weapon just as easily as it can be used for good. Perhaps some sounds that only keep you awake and alert for those on guard duty. Or heighten awareness for a sentry. I think you can see where sound, and even Hemi Sync, could make a real difference.
Personally, I love listening to Hemi Sync.    

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 8:32am

Good points, Hawkeye. I guess the whole topic is much bigger than I was originally thinking. The other day, Tom Ashbrook/On Point (radio) was interviewing two musicologists/anthropologists who have studied "primitive" music. It made me think that maybe we have not explored this area enough: the effect of sound on everything! The interview included a mention of the Pygmies, who I think are one group who use song in all aspects of life. Not like us, with Muzac or pop radio always on in the background (well ok there are more choices...) but in the Pygmy culture, the song is an integral part fo the life. If I understand it correctly, you need the song to do the activity. Surely that reflects some power in the sound. Jane Roberts wrote a novel about an oversoul who ...mmm...shows up in different time frames. I mean reincarnates. Anyway, one place he (Seven was his name) shows up is in an ancient culture where sound is used to perform work. Or maybe that was in the sequel to the Seven book. Anyway, maybe sound has powers we have no idea how to tap. Maybe the Pygmies are descendents of an ancient culture that knew that. OK I'm getting carried away! but maybe it is true.

I love the experience of listening to that first Hemi-Sync tape that had you hear one tone in one ear and another tone in the other ear. Then it put the two tones together. There was a little pause and then : TaDa! a third tone took over! I pulled the earphones off to prove to myself that each was still producing a separate tone. I can't remember where I put that cassette. (yeah it was a long time ago). : (

Bets I tried re-finding some articles I once found on tinnitis. Still looking. I did come across a bit that claimed that melatonin could help someone sleep if they had the kind of tinnitis that keeps them awake. And that piece mentioned experiemntal use of transcranial magnetic stimulation to treat tinnitis. Well that caught my attention. We're back to  wave phenomena again. I looked up TMS at Mayo Clinic website, which should be good. It is used to treat depression. I'm just playing with ideas here. But sound is waves and magnetic waves are waves. Maybe it is time to pull out the old physics book. Maybe one part of my brain is trying to operate at one wavelength and another part is trying to operate at another wavelength and the tinnitis I hear that is not really "there" is the two waves crashing in to each other. That doesn't tell me how to stop it or why it started in the first place.

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 7:50pm

And music the most interesting of sound. Even the bible mentions singing of the angels...music from harps, ect,etc. And theres lots of singing going on in churchs. Many of the earliest of tool found made by primitive people were musical instruments.
On the other side, I was watching a show on TV called Whale Wars and in this show the Japanese whaling ships were using sound to attempt to discourage Paul Watsons group from interfering in a whale hunt. Sound as a weapon. I wonder if we are being effected subliminally by sound, on purpose? Could we be made to be hungry, or spend more when we shop. I know that sublimanal messages are in the background at store telling us not to steal but could sound or music, or hemi sync do the same thing?

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 8:51am

Bets here's an article from over a year ago but still interesting:

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2008/04/01/new_therapies_fi...

Hawk subliminal messages not to steal????

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 2:28pm

You bet Lucy. Messages played softly in the background of music perhaps saying something like "I will not steal" or " you are under observation". That sort of thing. Of course more subliminal advertising is used in pictures, but I would think they are using sound also. I remember in the old days, before it became baned, you could see it in alcohol advertisements. (I am not sure if the moratorium on its use is still in effect or not.)  Pictures in the ice cubes. That sort of thing. Now music can be used to bring up your level of excitement. Can put you into a stupor. Can increase your awareness or memory. So many different utilisations. Bob Monroe experimented for years using different sounds to invoke different responses. I would imagine not all responses were good. Bob may have gotten a patent on some of his work but you can bet that if it is "useful" to the armed forces or to alternative governments, I highly doubt they recognise those patents. There is also a value to providing potential weaponry to the government. What would the value be of a sound mix that could be played over a radio station that made people have the same effect as LSD or made them be terrified?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.