Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Annoying menu bar (Read 18679 times)
Cricket

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Annoying menu bar
Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:11pm

So somehow, a menu bar that follows my page down has popped up at the top right of my screen, and I can't get rid of it.  Don't know how it got there, but it is annoying in the extreme.  Is there some secret way to get rid of it, or is it some failing in my computer?  I can't bear to read on here while it's bouncing around and otherwise being infuriating.

IP Logged

Cricket

Re: Annoying menu bar
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:13pm

Oops - top *left*

IP Logged

Romain

North/West Coast
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 2:47pm

Was wondering the same thing too..is it possible to move it somewhere else...bottom/top/left/right/on or off...??
Or is it permanent.
Thank .

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:20pm

I've made it disappear with my pop-up blocker. The name of the element is
um_menu.js
maybe it works as well to disable Java Script in your browser.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Darryl E Berry Jr

ALK Member

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 1:31pm

Thanks Spooky.

spooky2 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:20pm:
I've made it disappear with my pop-up blocker. The name of the element is
um_menu.js
maybe it works as well to disable Java Script in your browser.

Spooky

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 1:35pm

Its a little annoying alright. My pop-up blocker is on yet its still showing.

IP Logged

Cricket

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 6:58pm

Got my pop-up blocker on too, doesn't do any good.

I can't imagine who thought a thing like that was a good idea...distracting, annoying, and it slows everything down.  Guess I'll go away for a while and see if it goes away again (I never had it until a couple of days before I posted about it...)   Sad

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 11:19pm

I run Firefox with Adblock Plus, and I needed to configure it for this site. It listes blockable elements for each site, and you can chose which one to block.

Spooky

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 11:57am

Spooky-

How did you identify the blocker (um_menu.js)?

Anyway I was able to get rid of it via Firefox Adblock Plus.  Thanks.

I'm surprised this thing is still active, it is distracting and unnecessary.

R

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 11:46pm

I just clicked on the ABP button when on this site, then a list opens with the elements of the site, and went through it looking at the file endings and descriptions (most of it are simple graphics, .png and such) and tested a few candidates (.js probably means javascript) and that way I found it.

Spooky

IP Logged

Bruce Moen
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Annoying menu bar ??
Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:28am

To All,

A month or so ago I received a suggestion to improve website navigation by creating a table of contents type menu.  The suggester felt that many of the pages on the site were difficult to find.  After spending some time reviewing all the pages on the site I had to agree with the suggester.  There were many pages that could only be found via links embedded within the text of other website pages.  In my review I found some pages I myself had forgotten existed.  So, I began looking for a way to add a table of contents type menu to every page of the website.

Some of you probably saw my first attempt at such a navigation menu that was implemented as a single, dark blue, pull-down menu bar that spanned the top of each page.  While it worked well, that menu bar location was permanently pinned to the top of the page.  When users scrolled down a page to read its content, the menu bar scrolled up off the screen and was invisible and unreachable unless the user scrolled back up to the top page.  For me having to scroll back up the page to access the navigation menu was very, very annoying.

After further research I found software that creates a 'floating' menu bar.  As a user scrolls down a page the menu bar moves with the page.  So no matter where a user is within the content of any website page, when they decide to go to some other page, the floating menu bar is visible on their screen and easily accessible without having to scroll back up the page.

I understand that some visitors see this floating website navigation menu bar visually annoying.  Sorry 'bout that.  Others see it as a navigation tool that is always visible on their screen, that lists every page on the website, that allows them to jump from any location within any website page they are viewing to any other website page with one mouse click.

Happily, those who are annoyed by this new feature have found a way to block the java script that creates this menu to make it disappear.  And now, also happily, everyone else has an easy to use table of contents type menu that allows website navigation from anywhere within any website page to any other website page.

As an attempt to make this new feature a little less obtrusive less for those of you who find it visually annoying I could experiment with changing the color scheme to something that stands out a little less.

Bruce

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 6:18pm

The floating menu bar doesn't block what is being read.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 6:53pm

On my screen it covers a few letters of the posts and makes the whole page jump usually when I'm in the middle of reading a post.

Does anyone know how to disable it with Windows?

Thanks,
Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:12pm

Bruce,

I have noticed that too, what Kathy says, the the whole page jumps while I'm reading the middle of a thread.  I have to literally scroll back down to where I was in order to finish reading.  This problem began at the same time the new menu bar was put up. 

I don't know what it has to do with the menu bar, maybe nothing, but Is there a way you can fix the page from jumping?

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Romain

North/West Coast
Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 1:14pm

Been happening here too..and waiting for result..
love you guys.

IP Logged

ChantillyChopper

Deland, Fl
Reply #15 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 9:58pm

very very annoying....i want to make it go away!!!! not sure if I am computer tech enough to do it!!!  Sad

We ride and never worry about the fall!

IP Logged

Sereena

ALK Member

Reply #16 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 7:55pm

I can't imagine why anybody would need a floating navigation menu like this.  Surely it could be permanently in place at the top of a page for people to access if they want to, rather than following you everywhere you go!

I've been on many forums, but I must confess, I've never come across anything as annoying as this thing, and I'm not tech savvy enough to be able to stop it.  Which means I doubt I'll be visiting this site very often.   Cry It just seems so unnecessary...

IP Logged

Oliver
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 7:09pm

Hi Bruce,
how about using frames? Maybe use a frameset with two frames, one narrow one at the top for the navigation which would then be always visible, and a big one for the contents? That way the contents would never be obscured by navigation elements.
Love, Oliver

IP Logged

Zhong Qiyao

ALK Member

Reply #18 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 10:28pm

I second Reply #17, to use HTML frames.

Rigth now, the floating menu:

1. Annoys by attracting attention during scrolling.

2. Partially blocks the top of the page.

If you do not want HTML frames, I would suggest making it a fixed menu below the "Afterlife Knowledge" title.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Wonderer

ALK Member

Europe
Re: Annoying menu bar ??
Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 4:43am

Bruce Moen wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:28am:
As an attempt to make this new feature a little less obtrusive less for those of you who find it visually annoying I could experiment with changing the color scheme to something that stands out a little less.

You could use this color scheme generator, I find it quite handy. Usually, warm. light colors suite best.

http://colorschemedesigner.com/

As for the menu, it does not bother me at all Wink However, as said above, frames would work well two. Though I understand that there is work involved in this. Let me know if you need help (though, I understand that you would need one that you can trust)

Cheers
Wonderer

IP Logged

Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Reply #20 - May 6th, 2012 at 4:51pm

Please somebody rid us of that bar please please ... Sad On my mobile it follows me and blocks some of the written..  Sad
Hugs
Nanner

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.