Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Search "by user" doesn't work (Read 2553 times)
spooky2

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Search "by user" doesn't work
Oct 12th, 2009 at 8:33pm

Hi,
when I go to the search function, the "by user" field won't allow me to type anything inside it. When I go to the "Members" field, I can view the posts of a specific member, but only the most recent 25 posts. So, the data are there, the "by user" search function is bugged.

I run WinXP and the latest Firefox.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Allan
YaBB Administrator

Re: Search "by user" doesn't work
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 11:46pm

Spooky

The "by user" search is a little funky...you have to click the little link under "By User:" that says "Click here to select user to search for." and then search/select the user you want to use for your search.  The only reason I can think of, for forcing you to enter the user this way, would be to prevent a mistyped user name from returning 0 results.  Then, in the drop-down list, select "Search for topics posted in by someone".

I noticed it only let you search for 15 results.  This is a safety measure, to keep the server from getting overloaded.  I thought that may be a little too extreme, however, so I doubled it to be 30 now.

The "Members" last XX number of posts have also been increased.  It can now go up to a maximum of 40.  If we start getting overloaded, I may have to decrease them back to lower numbers, but I think these parameters should be fine.

Thanks,

Allan

IP Logged

spooky2

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Search "by user" doesn't work
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 9:26pm

Hi Allan, thank you.

I did as you said, and noticed, after I clicked the "Click here to select user to search for"-button, a small sized window opens with a list of members. I can't scroll down, so I finally had to type the exact name into the search field, and that was what should be avoided.
EDIT: A-ha, there are page numbers instead of a scroll option, ok it works, but a bit complicated...

While I understand it would cause quite some processing capacity when one would search for all posts of a long-time-superposter, it's a pity, as some posts (the older ones) then are simply not reachable with the search engine. An idea would be to make other time options, maybe "last week" and so on, and then timeframes like "January 2008 to June 2008". That way, a user could search step-by-step only, which (maybe) could be handled by the system, and still would have access to all posts of a user without manually digging through the threads.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.