Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oneness: Richard Sylvester's reality (Read 28266 times)
spooky2

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Oneness: Richard Sylvester's reality
May 19th, 2009 at 8:49pm

http://www.richardsylvester.com/page1.html

...and click the buttons "Book Extracts" and "Interview & Links".

As a result of two exceptional, brief moments in his life, Sylvester now doesn't experience persons, or any kind of separated things as real anymore. For him, there are still phenomenons, but without a person who perceives these phenomenons. He stopped his spiritual search, as now there is no one left who can search for anything. For him, paradise is here, as it has been always here, only it can't be noticed as long there is the jail of the illusion of the person.

Interestingly in conjunction with Bruce's work, Sylvester labels the oneness he experiences as "unconditional love".

Nice read, challenging, mind-boggling, funny.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Re: Oneness: Richard Sylvester's reality
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2009 at 2:18pm

W Shocked W  !

He's really into that !
I wonder what he does when he's not lecturing.  Whatever comes to mind?  Cheesy   Does 'he' enjoy whatever comes mind?

When he says we lose paradise in order to experience the joy of finding it again,
I was reminded of a Voice that spoke to me when I was a child playing hide-and-seek. It said, 'Notice what happens when you have found each other." And I did and then said," we are very happy!" And It said, "Yes, and this is the Game of Life."
Of course I didn't get it then, but I think I do now !

Thanks Spooky !!

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2009 at 3:41pm

A number of years ago I was really into Advaita Vedanta.  I found that the guru I used to see and many other non-dual gurus aren't what they claim to be. Some of them contend that when your body dies your awareness merges back with pure consciousness and that's it. No focus 27, no disks, no nothing.

Fortunately, I eventually found a better way. Ramana Maharshi was one of the most well known advocates of Advaita Vedanta. One evening my spirit guidance showed me an image of Ramana sitting at one half of a table while wearing a business suit (when he was alive he wore a loin cloth).  At the other end of the table sat a lady. Ramana wore a business suit because he was being too conservative.  He didn't acknowledge the creative aspect of being. The lady in the image represented the creative aspect of being. They sat at halfs of the table in order to represent the proper balance between the manifested aspect of being and the unmanifested aspect of being (pure consciouness).

I'm open to levels of being I wasn't open to when I was involved with non-duality.  Once you open up to such levels of being, it is hard dismiss such levels as non-dualists tend to do.

A non-dualist takes one part of his (or her) mind, and focuses his attention so he is more aware than usual of the space in which everything takes place.  The reason he is able to be aware of something, is because he is aware of the energy of existence in an unmanifested way, even while it is manifested in a particular way.  This energy doesn't become non-existent, simply because it manifests in a specific way.  When it manifests in a specific way we can experience qualities such as beauty, happiness, love and peace. Nothing wrong with that.

It isn't pure consciousness that denies the manifested aspect of being. Pure consciousness is too fomless to do anything specific. It is simply aware. Only an aspect of mind can establish relationships and either in a faulty or accurate way come up with a viewpoint of what truth is (or isn't).

Richard Sylvester's association with Tony Parson's is mentioned, and Tony Parson's is one of the gurus who claims that your awareness merges back with pure awareness when you die, and that's it.

It is much better to contact your higher self, than rely on a guru who claims that nobody is here or there, yet benefits from other people.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2009 at 8:13pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2009 at 9:41pm

What I was fascinated of was that Sylvester wrote he just experienced his "me" dropped away. He is really emphasizing that no school can teach you that, he makes jokes about that guru-thing. I think he indeed experienced something special, and it's inspiring to me, as some reports of Zen-Buddhists had been. As well, it's a central topic in modern philosophy (New Phenomenology) and psychology (although most modern philosophers and psychologists might not be aware of it Wink ).

I've ordered his books and I guess I'll have to think and/or meditate a while on it before I can comment further, as this is really at the edge of what language can communicate.

Spooky

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2009 at 9:47pm

Bets, that's a nice little story, and I have gotten similar messages, like "find your lost companions". It's to go astray and find each other again, isn't it? This is quite a game. But I don't want to play it for all eternity.

Spooky

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2009 at 9:19am

Greetings,

With RS's outlook, I wonder how he even incarnated !
He doesn't even seem to acknowledge soul, and it is the part of us (I think) that is most eternal. --  So what holds him together?
It seems he should just float off into the Great Whooshyness!

Maybe he was sent here because on Earth computers are doing most of the thinking and the basic process they use (I'm told)
is "This? or That?" (binary?) RS seems to show their antithesis,
so maybe his information will provide some sort of balance. 
We certainly can't deal with 'this or that' in non-duality.

I agree we have divided Earth's reality into too many pieces / categories. We have set up too many boundaries.  Examples: Us/Them, acceptable/ non-acceptable, etc. The afterlife we've glimpsed  at FL27 gets away from some of those those divisions and it's such a great relief to do so !

What RS talks about must be FL 80!

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2009 at 12:37pm

Well suit yourself Spooky. Say goodbye to your disk, get involved with the non-duality circus, and try to think your way out of existence.

Sometimes I don't know why I bother. Nobody seems to listen. Perhaps there is no point in trying to share what you learned through years of experience.  Perhaps it is better to let people waste their time and find out the hard way. Their souls do after all have all of eternity to do so, despite what non-dualists state.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2009 at 1:09pm

Here's another point. I've known several non-dual gurus who have claimed to drop their I, yet each of them acted in a very self-serving and self-centered way.

Some of them say it happened automatically, there is nothing you can do to make it happen, yet they try to teach other people how to do so.

Sometimes doubletalk is just doubletalk.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2009 at 1:28pm

Spooky:

I take back that "Suit yourself" comment. Since you no longer believe there is a self to suit, it is illogical for me to make such a suggestion.

Here's a Zen koen.  Who/what is it that believes that there is no self to suit?

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2009 at 2:31pm

Below is what he says about what happens after death. If what he says is true, perhaps all of us have been hallucinating when we visited various focus levels, communicated with spirits, and helped with retrievels.  His answer shows his lack of experience with spirit realms, which is typical for non-dual teachers.

"Tom What are your insights into death? What happens to us? Do we continue in any form?

Richard Death is the end of the dream of separation. In liberation and in death (which are the same thing) it is seen that there is no person, there is only Oneness."

IP Logged

moonsandjunes
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2009 at 6:22pm

Why take it so personally? Doesn't it make your life more interesting?

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #11 - May 21st, 2009 at 6:43pm

If you're talking to me, because I've known a number of people who have gotten caught in the non-dual thing, and once they do so it is like being caught up in any other belief system.  In a way its worse, because non-dualists negate things to an extent, where there is nothing to question.

Many of the people who get caught up in non-dual teachings could've found something better but don't, because they make the error of believing that their gurus are infallible, and as a result get to a point where they can't see things outside of the box their gurus create.

I guess I could just not care, but that would be the same thing that non-dual gurus do.  I mentioned Ramana Maharshi on an earlier post.  Whenever somebody would ask him about the problems of the World, and there were a lot when he lived, he would answer that the World is just a dream, so there is no need to worry.  

I figure that when people live in this World, they do in fact suffer.  I will not turn a blind eye to their suffering, because some supposed infallible guru states that there is no need to worry.

Our souls grow by opening up to love, not by negating the fact of our existence. 

Quote:
Why take it so personally? Doesn't it make your life more interesting?

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2009 at 8:05pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #12 - May 21st, 2009 at 8:51pm

Recoverer:

I think I'm well suited, from my education in philosophy I know this concept. The question is, could there be perceptions without a perceiver? Maybe, if we use another label for "perceptions", but it would be a very very different world. It's suspicous to me that Sylvester can behave (at least almost) like a normal guy, giving interviews and having meetings while in this state. There are other cases of non-personality persons similar to Sylvester and they are cared by psychiatrists.

Recoverer wrote: "Sometimes I don't know why I bother. Nobody seems to listen."
   You know Hesse's "Siddharta"? When Siddharta had been almost at the end of his path, he had to set free his rebelling son who won't take any education from him. Siddharta found, his son has to commit the same failures as he himself once had committed, but finally everybody will come together again in the great big river. Maybe it is so, maybe not. I listen carefully to you and take what I need.

Of course, Sylvester's view seems not to fit with RAM's and Bruce's and traditional western schools. But maybe I find a way to combine both views. Finally, all discs belong to a master disc. We don't know if it's an aim that they will once remerge totally with the master disc or not. And it is a question how a "resident member" of a disc feels like. We certainly have to think about what individuality and personality means when we think about those questions. I don't think we will continue for eternity as a person we now are used to be.

Believe me, I'll not go to meetings, I'll not spend money or devote myself to spiritual teachers. I'll just look what it is, and if it rings any bells within me. When I can't get something out of it I drop it. I become bored quite easily Smiley . And after what Sylvester said, he can't start a cult because he dissed the whole spiritual search thing as useless (except "making one's prison more comfortable").

Yes, of course you can't get a grip of someone moralically who claims "he/she" is not existant, there only is "this character" and things that are just happening ("it happened automatically" ha ha, that's a good substitute for "the devil made me do it"). Contradictions though speak for themselves of course.

As to what the caring about the world and other people belongs, I believe the first focus has to be on spiritual truths; I think that is in accord with the New Testamentum and certainly with gnostic scripture, and RAM said we have to build up escape velocity, meaning loosen our focus on the physical reality to a sufficient degree. As a side effect of our growing insights, our actions will change accordingly. There is no right action in the wrong spirit.

I keep your warning in mind.

Bets:

The extreme segmentation is a tendency of the modern times. Starting with Plato, accelerated by modern philosophers and, in recent times mainly by a world view inspired by the sciences of nature and engineering, this tendency has become such bizarre in some areas that it is to hope it will become obvious that this is just plane silly.
The natural and primal way of thinking and perceiving is in "entirenesses", "gestalts". Out of these entirenesses we can, if required, extract more specific details. This has led to the wrong opinion the details are the primary and we could rebuilt the world with those little elementar pieces.
However, the person or, more phenomenologic put, the personal situation is one of these entirenesses, a very special one. In order to have a rich view at us and our role in our environment, it's not needed to fall in the other extreme and declare the whole world to one. But it's interesting.

Spooky

IP Logged

Justin
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2009 at 2:24am

Hi Spooky, i read some of that article you shared.   While i see truth in it, and i'm generally for any source emphasizing Oneness, well i have to agree with Albert to some extent.  

The man seems to be stuck in his head, and seems to be rehashing certain traditional spiritual concepts from a certain tradition.  

I suspect that if we had people follow him around constantly, but secretly, he might not prove to be as One and empty as he claims about himself.  

I recognize i could be wrong, and in any case i see it as more of "shades of gray".  I think perhaps he has had some experiences with Oneness and with a strong mental focus on certain belief systems, has mistaken certain realizations to be "liberation" when they are only the seeds of same.  

From synthesizing quite a few psychic/non physical sources i really respect, as well as going within, i've come to believe there are certain "outer" signs readable by a non liberated person in relation to a liberated person.    

Ironically, we have the unique nature of physicality to thank for one of the major indications.  

The "body", or rather body image stops aging, getting sick, or dying.

RAM's experience of asking his Greater self to meet the most spiritually mature person living in his space/time is perhaps an incisive lesson in true liberation?

Then such a one radiates a very pure, powerful and radiant White, or sometimes more golden hued White Light aura.  Funny that he mentions something like this in his article and makes fun of it.   A tactic one might use if they had some basic metaphysical knowledge, but subconsciously wanted to mislead people about something they have mislead themselves about.   With that said, consciously i feel he is sincere in his beliefs.

In any case, does he have things of worth to teach?   No doubt (certainly more people use a greater focus on Oneness), but the most effective teaching is not by lecturing and constantly talking words and concepts...

It's by our examples and how we live, which really affects people and the name of the game here is effective, powerful affecting...  If i ever met this guy, i might be tempted to test him in some extreme ways.   Wink   Just as Yeshua was tested in some extreme ways, though in an unconscious manner by others.  

Also, i noticed in his booking schedule that at many places 60 euros were being charged from each person in attendance.  

What, what o what would a truly and fully liberated person have a need for any money at all beyond the money necessary to use a space to lecture?  

They transcend hunger, need for shelter, and all of the so called basic survival "needs" that all the rest of us humans attach ourselves too.  

Dunno, perhaps i'm overly cynical, but a very real Teacher warned us about our times and that many false and deceptive teachers and sources would come forth proclaiming "here is Christ, there is Christ..."

What this man essentially claims about himself, with claiming liberation, is that he is likewise a Christ (something i believe is a possible potential for everyone).   Perhaps sometimes better the Christ you know, than the Christ you don't? Cheesy  Grin

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2009 at 12:54pm

Good post Justin:

Not all gurus are exactly the same. Some are unethical and dishonest with the people they mislead, some are dishonest with themselves about what they know, and mislead other people accordingly.  I know a few people from the group I used to belong to who became non-dual gurus.  When I knew them, they were nice people.  For whatever reason, they never got away from the non-dual approach. They deprive themselves accordingly.  I would have a hard time fitting into that old set of clothes.  

Non-dualists contend that they don't have to worry about things such as chakras and energy levels because they deal with higher truth, not illusions. The fact of the matter is that they haven't dealt with spirit realms and aren't qualified to speak about such levels of existence.

Beliefs can come in many forms.  If a person comes up with a way to believe that he or she doesn't exist, he or she might end up believing this is the case, even though his or her life shows something quite different.

If it is okay for each of us to exist to an extent where we can experience love, then perhaps it is okay for each of us to exist.  If we experience love and act with love, where is the problem?

SPOOKY:

I hear ya. Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.