Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
contradiction? (Read 12395 times)
JustineS

contradiction?
Nov 12th, 2008 at 7:01pm

is there a contradiction between the idea that God is the great I Am trying to experience itself through us and the idea that God is Love? If God is not an entity, how does God love us? Or is the idea that Love is the best force in the universe?

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Re: contradiction?
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 8:17pm

What an excellent question, and elegantly stated, Justine. What are your feelings about it?

love, blink

IP Logged

JustineS

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 10:32pm

Well, my personal feeling is that in order to claim God is Love, God must be some kind of entity that loves us. When people say we are all unconditionally loved, who is doing the Loving? If we are on paths of spiritual development and suffer to learn lessons, who oversees this process?
I do see a major contradiction between the God is Everything Trying to Experience Itself and God is Love. I am not sure what I believe, but I personally find a lot more meaning in the notion of a personal, loving God.
Thoughts?

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 10:36pm

Absolutely, what other God would be God?

love, blink

IP Logged

spooky2

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 10:26pm

Bruce told something interesting in his "Voyage To Curiousity's Father". The creator created everything (the sent out "probes") by a mix of parts from the creator. One trait the creator implanted to the probes was love. Because through love, the sent out probes would not get lost, but always return to the creator. Like a cosmic glue.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

JustineS

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 12:59am

haha blink,
do you mean the personal loving God?
I wasn't sure which you meant by 'what other God would God be?'

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 8:31am

I am in agreement with you that a loving, personal God would have more meaning to me, as well. When I consider that we are both humans capable of loving others, I have to ask myself why? Certainly, there are creatures which inhabit this earth that do not function as we do, and differ in their habits and understandings of themselves. In looking around me, I can see how all of this works together to create a vibrant, complex, rich environment for all of life to enjoy in a grand experiment. Without love, I cannot see this. Without love, I merely survive.

Therefore, why love?

Because someone has loved me.

I would recognize as God no 'one' who cannot know me, no 'one' who cannot understand me completely. Therefore, God, to be God to me, must understand what love is.

If I am in the presence of God, I am in the presence of an understanding. I am in the presence of a truth. Perhaps this truth is like ourselves -- with a longing to grow beyond itself, and that is why we are here.

love, blink

JustineS wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 12:59am:
haha blink,
do you mean the personal loving God?
I wasn't sure which you meant by 'what other God would God be?'

IP Logged

StoneColdTrue

ALK Member

Birmingham, AL
Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 7:09pm

Perhaps God is not the entity and it is instead love as a whole. So therefore it is not "God is love" but "Love is God."

"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. " -Bertrand Russel

IP Logged

Justin aka Vasya
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 12:27pm

My deepest intuition tells me that God is both.  It is an individual, self aware Being/Consciousness, and also at the same time a Universal presence and connectedness between all of Creation. 

Perhaps it's easier to understand if you look at this way; all of creation exists within God's being (and was created within and via It's being), but when God moved and created creation It kept part of itself individualized and unique, so that the Total is greater than the sum of it's parts. 

It's kind of cool and awesome to realize that God is both a personal God, and also a Universal, impersonal, all permeating presence.

Sometimes during meditation i think/feel about all this, and such an overwhelming gratitude fills me up, and all i can do is to thank Source for this beautiful gift of also being a self aware, individuated, unique being with the gift of choice, but also at the same time One with and part of everything else. 

Saying thanks doesn't quite cut it, but maybe the tears express it better.

IP Logged

O

ALK Member

Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 7:42am

Very wise words, Justin. Smiley

IP Logged

Justin aka Vasya
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 12:09pm

Thank you for sharing your feelings on my post O.

IP Logged

Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Reply #11 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 12:47pm

(OK for starters - Justin I still after all these years want that cat in the picture! Wink )

This thread is truely a very deep rooted one, thanks for opening it.

God is: you and I. As long as we both are seperated in spirit, God remains mystical in presence. As soon as we all join - God becomes touchable.

I find love is just as intelligence is, you cant really touch it but you know its there. (At least some mornings when I awake and look into the mirror, I find it to be so)

Still loving all of you,
Nanner

IP Logged

Justin aka Vasya
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 8:43pm

Nice post Nanner.  Btw, if you didn't see my reply to you on the other thread, i've been thinking about you very recently and 'out of the blue'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.