Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
record profit for Exxon (Read 3719 times)
hawkeye

Afterlife Knowledge Member

canada
record profit for Exxon
Oct 30th, 2008 at 5:12pm

I know this is really off topic but... I see from CNN that Exxon is posting record profits again this year. Just like all the major banks had done for a number of the past years.(except this one year) I guess that means we will be bailing them out financially also by spring also. I am sure someone in government knows that they need a bit more of our cash, just like those banks. Otherwise who is going to pay all of those CEO's. Wink  Now, it shouldn't come out of those record profits  should it? I tell you, I am finding it harder and harder to sit down. My butt starting to get a little sore. Undecided

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Re: record profit for Exxon
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 8:47pm

Hey, I voted about two hours ago. You can't get me off my cloud.        Smiley

-------------------

It feels wonderful not to have my hands tied behind my back. 

I took a friend.

I told a friend.

Maybe I don't have all the answers. But I sure felt ilke dancing, just to have a choice.

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:05am by N/A »  

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 12:23pm

Here's a thought. Gas prices have gone down. Could this be because some of the oil companies are concerned about people talking about alternative energy sources as much as they have been, and the oil companies want them to become disinterested? They don't want the people to control how energy is procurred, they want to control how it is procurred.

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 12:23pm

If you don't vote, you shouldn't bitch. Well done Blink.

IP Logged

Justin aka asltaomr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:26pm

Well, I don't "pregnant dog" that much at all anymore, but I also still don't vote. 

It's not that I actively dislike Obama, or what not, but I realize that the overall system is so rotting and corrupt at its core, that partial, temporal patchings with duct tape aren't going to really help. 

How much power and influence does a President truly have, if its not backed by the Corporations, World Banks, and money powers of the world?  Bush and cronies had a lot of power/influence only because he was an out and out puppet of these Plutonian/Saturnian influences, and he was actually popular to many people for awhile--especially people of certain mindsets and attitudes. 

Also, I am innately skeptical of the sincerity and depth of integrity of politicians who get high enough in politics to possibly become President.

Probably the only person I know of that I would vote for, would be Dennis Kucinich.

Either way, one of two things needs to happen for this country to fully heal.  Either another revolution, or a near total collapse and rebuilding, and in some senses these are pretty much the same thing except that one is consciously collectively chosen, and the latter is unconsciouslly collectively chosen. 

But more than anything that needs to happen for this country and this world to heal, is for a purer and more universal Love to flower in the Hearts and in the mental Ideals of the majority of people in this country and world and much, much less emphasis on materialism in all its forms.  Plenty of people are well intentioned and kind enough, but even many of these are far too attached to the things of the world. 

Tis possible for the former to happen right now, though highly unlikely and non probable.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:39pm

Regarding what Justin wrote:

I don't believe the presidential choices we have will change the World to the degree that is necessary, but the wrong choice can sure mess things up. Perhaps the Iraq war would've never happened if George W. Bush didn't become president. This is a significant factor.

I also vote for certain propositions. For example, in California, I voted "No" for proposition 8. If you vote yes it means gay people can't marry each other. The yes vote has been pushed by fundamentalists in a very dishonest way.  I really don't see how it's their business if gay people want to marry each other. They want to force their religious views on other people. The sanctity of the institution of marriage they claim.  What does somebody else's marriage have to do with their marriage?  If other marriages do make a difference, haven't high divorce rates, infidelity and domestic violence already desanctified the institution of marriage? A day well come when these fundamentalists will find that love isn't limited in the way they believe.

There is also a California proposition on the board that will require farmers to allow livestock to have free grazing time each day, rather than being cooped up in very small cages without ever being let loose. Certainly this is a worthwhile proposistion to vote on.

IP Logged

Justin aka asltaomr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:53pm

It seems on average, that on a state level, that an individual does actually have more say and influence, if enough band together. 

So yes, such things as the Cali propositions are very worthwhile to try to change. 

I'm not advocating total passiveness by any means, but perspective about the larger picture.  Grassroots stuff is very important, and locally we can change things politically more so.  Grassroots stuff is probably in the end, much more important than voting for a Presidential candidate.  But as long as certain groups are in power, and of the mindset they are in, things will not collectively change.

Either way, I'm not worried about or fearful of collapse, and I believe that in the long run it will be a very positive catalyst and we will rebuild a MUCH, MUCH better system, for many who will participate will have gone through a reorienting, a readjustment, and a transformation within self and collectively within first small groups reaching out into ever larger groups.  When one is tried by fire, they are either burned up, or come out much purer in nature. 

Did it have to be this way?  Nah, it didn't.  I'm just an idealistic realist, or is it the other way around..

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:59pm

I could be wrong, but I basically believe the United States is held hostage by the Republican and Democratic parties and needs to move beyond them. Dividing things up in such a way leads to too much divisiveness.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2008 at 7:01pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 4:29pm

Hi My dad would never vote when he was alive because he said it didn't matter what goverment gets in ,they all take you down the road and rob you,so i don't vote either because i think my dad was right.

Love and God bless   love juditha

IP Logged

AH1976

Midlands, UK
Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 11:00pm

Regarding the oil price thing, IMHO it is only a bad thing if the price comes down, and thats for 2 reasons.

1) People will get used to it being that price and it MUST go up again sooner or later, it is a finite resource and the laws of supply and demand apply to it like anything else.
2) Higher prices encourage us to look at and consider more economical and alternative options ie people buy smaller cars or hybrid cars or electric cars or pushbikes.

Regarding the election thing, as others have said it doesn't matter who gets in the most honourable of them will always put what they perceive to be your needs first. The worst of them will put what they need or what the higher classes need first.

Last year and earlier this year they were talking about the winner of the US election being the most powerful leader in the world. The way things are going it looks like he's going to take over just as the US sees a reduced importance in the world.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.