Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Night Terrors (Read 5763 times)
pedigree

Night Terrors
Sep 27th, 2008 at 4:59am

My two year old has had a few night terrors lately and I was wondering what they really are? She starts crying usually after a couple of hours after going to sleep . When we comfort her she keeps on crying until we fully wake her up. Then she goes to bed normally. Could this be a oob Huh

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

jetman

Canada
Re: Night Terrors
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 8:32am

I know that my little ones have both had them.  It seems to come when they are over tired and off routine, or getting  a cold.  That is a very good question and I to have wondered what is it that has them so upset.  ???

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 10:22am

Hi,

At that age they are just beginning to realize that adult arms cannot shield and comfort them forever, that their own wills have to face up to  conditions around them. They're active to the point of muscle aches that won't go away and they're more conscious of their own illnesses etc. -- Smiley It's sort of a pre-existential crisis.

So I agree with jetman and with the toddlers-- that at that stage sometimes nothing seems to help.

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 1:43am

Night terrors are experiences in which you are focused in two dimensions simultaneously, physical reality and dream reality. 

I have had night terrors in my past, between the ages of 8 or 9 until about 12 or 13.  I remember having around 6 or 7 of them. 

It is a very strange experience, and can be extremely frightening.

It is as if I was awake and yet dreaming at the same time.  I would get out of bed and roam around the house in a daze, trying to deal with the duality of being here in the physical and yet in another reality  as well.

I would begin to hear sounds repeating over and over, like little whispers and other noises, echoing into eternity.

I would be in two places at once, in the physical and in the dream dimension as well, which would totally freak me out and I would begin crying like crazy.

At this point my mom would try to comfort me, but everything she said scared the ship out of me, and as I would look at her, her face would begin melting and she would turn into a hideous looking creature. 

I believe this happens mainly to children because of the flexibility of their consciousness.  I suppose it can be likened to certain projections of consciousness, like phasing, where you are out exploring and yet in bed at the same time. 

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 3:19am

It can seem like you'd want to call it an OBE, but night terrors are not the same thing, no.  What you describe sounds like night terrors.  They seem to run in the family.  I had them frequently growing up, and even a few as an adult.  My son had them too, from the age of about 1.5 but he fortunately grew out of them very quickly. 

They happen in the deepest stage of sleep and to the person having it, what you experience seems just as real as real life.  You cannot tell the difference.  The person seems to be awake, and to them they think they are awake and think that what they experience is real reailty.  But anything and everything is complete terror and it just grows.  If you try to comfort them, they see you as something hideous. 

I tell my kids not to ever, ever, ever touch me while I'm sleeping.  If they need me they have to knock or call my name, but never touch me.  In that deep stage of sleep, just being touched can bring on a night terror. 

One example when I was about 19, I was living with my boyfriend and woke in the middle of the night.  I was frightened, not knowing why, and got out of bed.  When I pulled the covers back, there was a pool of blood in the bed under me.  I got out of bed and screamed.  My boyfriend got up and asked what was wrong and I showed him the blood and he said there wasn't anything there.  I even touched it and had blood all over me, but he tried to reassure me there wasn't any blood.  I was shaking and crying and could not understand why he couldn't see the blood.  So far, this is how the experience went for the both of us.  However, then it changed for me.  After a couple minutes in my experience, he turned into a some kind of half human half creature.  He had sores all over him and he began to talk mean, act like he was going to kill me, etc.  But in reality, he was still trying to comfort me and reassure me I was only dreaming.  In my experience, I tried to convince HIM there was something wrong with HIM!  Finally I did wake up to normal consciousness while still standing there.  All of a sudden he was back to normal, and the blood was gone.  The worst feeling in the world was waking up at that moment, because there was absolutely NO change in my consciousness whatsoever. 

Usually when you wake up from a dream, your brain goes through the changes in consciousness, however waking from a night terror is as if nothing has changed.  Just one moment to the next you suddenly aren't seeing all the hideous things you were just seeing a moment ago.  You feel like, "What is happening to me?  Am I going crazy?"  It's a very scary thing. 

I think my experience was extreme though.  I know that usually the person having the night terror will transition into another sleep stage and not remember much of what was going on.  For kids, it seems easy for this to happen, but for the parents trying to comfort them, it is hard to give comfort when your child is terrified of you.  My advice is just to try and soothe them, hug them, or wake them as quickly as possible.  They will usually awaken or just fall back to regular sleep.

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:48pm

I figure our minds can create just about anything.  What we need to learn to do is to become more conscious so we can take control. One thing that can help us do so is to realize that even though we can have different kinds of experiences, nothing can harm the spirit being we are. I don't know how this could be communicated to a two year old child. Perhaps you could tell a child to call out to an angel, but would a two year old understand what an angel is?

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 1:00pm

I think it could be an lesson or a review experience possibly. Have you asked her to describe what she is experiencing or seeing? I know conversation can be difficult at that age but some children do have a great ability to let you know whats going on. Her limited vocabulary may make it difficult but you should be able to pick up on her "pictures" or sent thoughts. There is also a possibility of her reviewing her birth, which can be a painful experience. There is no reason to think that although she is but a child that her memories do not go back at least as far as her birth. Then of course there is just the old growing pains. Her body is growing fast and that can cause pain. I still say to ask her and see what she says.

IP Logged

identcat

New Hampshire
Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 1:38pm

The best approach is to gently coax the story about the dream out of the child. Reassure the child that she is not alone and you will believe her no matter how "scary" or "stupid" she may think it sounds.

Then, if it was a nightmare, reassure her again that noone or nothing will harm her because you are there to protect her.  Maybe a favorate toy that she can sleep with will help ease her anxiety.

If it was an OBE-- let her know that many people do the same thing and if she goes to be with happy thoughts, then her dreams will be of happy events.

When I was very, very young, I woke up crying because my cousins who were in the room playing with me and my dolls suddenly walked through the wall and went home. I was devestated that they left me to play alone. I ran crying into my parents bedroom and they told me I was just dreaming. (too bad, it could have been an OBE to help me grow with).  So, I woke up crying, not because of a bad "dream" but because someone left me. Could be the same for your daughter.

We don't want to say goodbye to those spirits who we left behind to incarnate to earth. Perhaps she was playing with one of her angles and or spirit friends, and they had to leave, which would upset her.

Gently persuade her to remember the dream and you will help her. Then go from there. 

Hugs-- Carol Ann

The three things you can never take back:
The spoken word.
The unkind thought.
The misused hour.
identcat  
IP Logged

dreamer

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 8:36am

OutOfBodyDude and Vicky,

Thank you for explaining your experience. It fits my impression of my son's night terrors when he was young. I couldn't wake him or comfort him, even though he would open his eyes in my direction. Not like a nightmare, because I could not get through to him. Talking to him or touching him, much less hugging him, during his night terrors would freak him out more. His shrieking would wake up everyone in the house. Laying him on the living room floor with his blankets and watching him from a nearby easy chair seemed to help, until he settled into a deep sleep and I could take him back to bed. It was unsettling to watch.

Carolyn

IP Logged

pedigree

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:45am

OutofBodyDude you seem spot on in your explanation. Funnily enough both my girls awoke today (at different times) in their car seats during a long drive from a deep sleep crying uncontrollably. Turning the music up, gently talking, patting on the legs all failed. Only after about 5 minutes they transitioned out of that state and were back to normal smiling as if nothing happened.
I can't get any explanation out of the eldest yet  if she remembers anything (she's 3.5)

IP Logged

Justin aka asltaomr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 12:05pm

For what's it worth, i have come to believe and know that many, or most nightmares are more related to physical imbalances and issues rather than anything mental-emotional or spiritual in nature.  At least in my case, but Edgar Cayce's guidance also said so generally for most people.

I use to get nightmares when younger, but my diet was much more unhealthy then, and i often ate close to bedtime (especially the combo tends to produce nightmares).

Now that i don't do either, i don't have "nightmares" where terror and stark fear, irrationality, and/or total confusion/mindlessness are present.  

I occasionally have difficult, emotionally oriented dreams where I'm working out emotional and unconscious issues, but its rather different than the nightmares i use to have when younger.  These latter dreams are much more coherent, make more sense, and aren't so irrational and terrifying.

My advice would be to limit food anywhere near close to bedtime or naptime (have at least 2.5 hours between them), especially not any kind of junk food, large meal, or hard to digest foods like cheese (especially not in combo with starches of some kind), meat (especially not hotdogs, pork in any form, or cold cuts), wheat and wheat derivatives, etc.

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 7:19pm

Hi Pedigree and all, I remember a dream i had quite often when i was a little girl,in my dream there was this white monster and as i layed on my bed, i could hear loud footsteps coming up the stairs and i was frozen with fear as i knew it was this white monster and when this monster reached me it would push cotten wool in my throat and i would choke and start to lose my breathing and then i would wake up,i dreamt of this until i was 11 yrs old and then the dream left me but i have never forgotten it.

Love and God bless  love juditha

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.