Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hosting Issues Resolved-- for Now... (Read 5995 times)
Allan
YaBB Administrator

Hosting Issues Resolved-- for Now...
Sep 17th, 2008 at 7:48pm

Well, Routhost has done it again...in the midst of migrating this site to "faster servers", they somehow restored a copy of the website from December 18th 2007!  After asking them to put the most current data back, they restored the same data again!  Luckily, we have been independently performing our own backups and we were able to get it restored to where we only lost a few days.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  However, the good news is, after the dust settles from this incident, we will be moving to a new host.  Although this move may result in some service interruption, we believe it is the best course of action, given the history we've had with our current host.

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Re: Hosting Issues --Bravo !! :-)
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 2:15am

Congratulations on your quick response !! 
It's a relief to see the site up again and hear of such good things to come !   Smiley

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Romain

North/West Coast
Re: Hosting Issues Resolved-- for Now...
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 10:20am

Allan wrote on Sep 17th, 2008 at 7:48pm:
 However, the good news is, after the dust settles from this incident, we will be moving to a new host.  Although this move may result in some service interruption, we believe it is the best course of action, given the history we've had with our current host.

Allan great job done; please let us know if possible when the next lock down will be for the new host..Smiley
Still a few post in SHWP missing, so be it.
PUL
R.

Have you ever thought of making  this forum as a pay members forum like 10.00=20.00 a year for membership to help defray the cost of hosting? Just a thought? I'll be willing to give some to help.

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 3:06pm

Romain, I think that a pay forum would discourage other just finding the site from participating. Voluntary donations or sponsorship is a differant thing.
Joe

IP Logged

Romain

North/West Coast
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 7:05pm

hawkeye wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 3:06pm:
Romain, I think that a pay forum would discourage other just finding the site from participating. Voluntary donations or sponsorship is a differant thing.
Joe

Thank you Joe; i tend to disagree with you here on discouraging others just finding the site..i do belong to few forums that are membership and some i don't; and find that membership help maintained the site with less burden on the host (meaning the person paying for the hosting; Bruce i guest). There a lots of bandwidth being used and irrelevant postings/links etc, one reason sometimes it slow.
Ask to defray a bit of the cost is not excessive IMPO.

But Voluntary donations is a better words for it.. Wink
Regards and PUL Joe.

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 7:50pm

I have no objections to forking over money, yet only if the need exists, that the cost of maintaining a website like this becomes a burden on the administrator. I wish I knew what it costs Bruce and if he can truly afford it. it may be that it's a burden for him, but he's doing it for us, in that case, I would like to pay something extra here.

perhaps we can receive a place to donate something? if it were mandatory there are pluses and minus...we'd get a more serious group, yet a smaller group I feel would happen over time.
but Bruce knows some of us will support whatever he decides.
love, alysia

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

Old Dood

Lansing
Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 7:08pm

Quote:
Luckily, we have been independently performing our own backups and we were able to get it restored to where we only lost a few days.

I did not see this thread.
This makes some sense then.  Kinda like a Roll back/Storage point.
I was wondering to why I lost PMs as well as a whole thread and some posts.
I know there are those that do not like my posts/threads so I was 'wondering' if that was the case here.

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 10:35pm

Many thanks again, Allan!
Cheesy

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Re: question for Allan...
Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 10:47pm

Hi Allan

Same problem? glad to see the site back.

I did have a strange experience with the site yesterday. I was at the library so using the computer there. When I tried to open the afterlife-knowledge.com site (I googled it to try to get to the home page!) I kept getting a pop-up box asking about downloading the file. I had googled for the site, so I was on a google page with the link to the site displayed a la google. When I clicked on that link I got a pop-up about downloading a file. The pop-up claimed that the file was named afterlife-knowledge_com. I was wondering if the problem yesterday had something to do with the url being corrupted or somehow made to look like a file.
I bypassed that page and managed to go to some other pages. The homepage with the weird picture of the disc was not working, the page with Bruce's picture did not show the links at the top, and you couldn't get on to the conversation page at all.

Glad to see the problem resolved, whatever it was!

IP Logged

Allan
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 2:28am

Yes, you guessed it...same problem.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  We tried to mitigate the data loss as much as possible, but our backups are made on a daily basis.  Host transfer is pending...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.