Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Solar cookers/stoves, etc. (Read 2897 times)
Justin aka asltaomr
Ex Member

Solar cookers/stoves, etc.
Jun 10th, 2008 at 11:55pm

Hey, i just got turned onto the idea of using the Sun to cook one's food, and it's friqen awesome!

I made a simply designed, home made Solar cooker out of cardboard, aluminum foil, and wheat glue a little while ago, and have been experimenting with cooking with it, and so far it seems to work pretty well. 

Just today, i baked a bread loaf made out of a mix of organic Sprouted Kamut and Spelt with Spelt Sourdough starter and it came out pretty good. 

Next i'm going to build a more Solar oven type thing, and bought an old flip suitcase at Goodwill, which i will convert.    Then pizza and other yummy foods will follow bhwwhahahah bhwhahhahah.   Cheesy

I'm still eating a lot of raw foods, but these particular breads i've been making are pretty damn nutritious (and much higher protein than most regular breads) and pretty easy to digest though they have some gluten in them. 

Anyways, the first Solar cooker i made is ridiculously easy to make, and i highly recommend it to anyone with any interest, financial issues, environmentally minded, health conscious (the somewhat slower and lower temp cooking tends to preserver nutrients and flavors better as compared to most normal ways of cooking), etc..   It's also convenient because you can mostly just leave food out, go and do stuff, and come back within the correct range of time, and you don't usually have to worry about things burning, etc. 

It's also safer than regular cooking. 

Besides being free, mostly clean, and renewable energy, it's been hot as hades in VA this last week or so, with temps up into the 100's and sometimes also quite humid, and cooking with this thing doesn't heat your house up at all.   The only downside is that it has to be sunny out for it to work well and depending on where you live in relation to the equator and how cold it gets in the cooler months, there is a limited cooking season.    

If anyone is interested, i can share some links to sites that show you how to make them, etc.   I might also post some pics of my cookers and some food i made with them.

It's fun too!!!!

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Re: Solar cookers/stoves, etc.
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:43am

I think I'll try a loaf of bread, as my oven doesn't work, and it's 110 here in az every friggin day I might as well get inventive...thanks!

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

Justin aka asltaomr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:49am

LaffingRain wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:43am:
I think I'll try a loaf of bread, as my oven doesn't work, and it's 110 here in az every friggin day I might as well get inventive...thanks!

Whooee that sounds HOT.   I'm assuming cause it's AZ, that it's at least dry heat? 

Anyways Alysia, here is a link to the specific Solar cooker that i made first (and which is talked about in the above as regards bread, etc)
http://solarcooking.org/plans/funnel.htm

Here is a link to many various kinds you can make

http://solarcooking.org/plans/

I"ve read all of them, and so far i figure the one i first shared a link too is probably the easiest, quickest, and one of the most efficient ones to make.   It's not the most stable design, but that is easily fixed by putting it into a small box.   Btw, you won't be able to use a regular bread pan to cook the bread, but that's not a big deal, i use a black, quantanium (a type of non stick coating) covered small camping pot to cook my in.

I'm going to try to make another design that is relatively simple to make and also more foldable and portable, make a bunch, and distribute them and some accompanying supplies and instructions to folks who are homeless.   

Anyways, stay cool.    Oh, btw, the first link/model Solar Cooker, can also be used as a refrigerator type device too.   The professor who designed it, found that at nighttime it can cool a jar and it's food contents down to 20 degrees F cooler than the ambient air temp.   Pretty interesting and great for your area where the temps drop noticeably at nighttime.

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:06pm

I might use a pyrex glass container bread pan, I don't trust any kind of teflon stuff as little chips of that junk get stuck in the liver and sit there for years.

miniscule toxins collect over the years, who'd a thought?

it only is getting down to about 80 at night so forget the cooling! but in the winter a couple of months I have to crank up the furnace and I actually get to wear some of my clothes with long sleeves.

but the river, if I lived next door to it, is so cold, it can be used as a refrigerator.

btw, Justin couple years back you were trying to teach me to take better care of myself, remember you wanted me to drink goats milk? I almost puked.

but your intentions were correct that we have to take care of these vehicles and that increases our appreciation levels of life as well as spiritual study. I was anorexic for awhile I'm ashamed to say.

IP Logged

Justin aka asltaomr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 7:07pm

LaffingRain wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:06pm:
I might use a pyrex glass container bread pan, I don't trust any kind of teflon stuff as little chips of that junk get stuck in the liver and sit there for years.

miniscule toxins collect over the years, who'd a thought?

it only is getting down to about 80 at night so forget the cooling! but in the winter a couple of months I have to crank up the furnace and I actually get to wear some of my clothes with long sleeves.

but the river, if I lived next door to it, is so cold, it can be used as a refrigerator.

btw, Justin couple years back you were trying to teach me to take better care of myself, remember you wanted me to drink goats milk? I almost puked.

but your intentions were correct that we have to take care of these vehicles and that increases our appreciation levels of life as well as spiritual study. I was anorexic for awhile I'm ashamed to say.

Hey there Alysia, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, i've been really busy lately. 

Yah i know what you mean about the Teflon stuff.  Normally i wouldn't use any non stick type stuff, and i don't in my regular cooking.   I was having a hard time finding really dark cookware, though i know you probably can order some black enamel type stuff online.    You also can use large glass jars and paint them either with spray paint or tempera type paint, but i was having a hard time finding the latter, and the former i just don't want to use because it's really bad for the environment and for human health (while spraying at least).

Also i figure this, when you cook with solar cookers, you don't really need to stir the ingredients usually, things don't burn, and so as long as i wash the pots very gently, i have a feeling they will last a long time before they start flaking off the toxic tefflon particles.   And this set seems to be a particularly good one, hard andonized. 

But thank you for the heads up.

Yeah, i remember the goat milk and health thing.   I was probably too pushy about it at the time.   A couple of years ago, Saturn went into Leo (and through my 1st house--left a little while ago), and when it did it really seemed to amplify a lot of the non regenerated and less loving parts of me (the "shadow" side i guess), and i was also going through a lot of deep, sometimes sudden, changes and testing conditions.   

But overall i'm grateful for it, because it helped to bring more to the surface a bunch of things i needed to work on and be aware of more consciously.   I'm sorry that others suffered for it though.  I was too heavy handed with too many people, too over sensitive, and basically too pushy and egotistical in general (i also attracted some over selfish, subtly arrogant, hard or close hearted, very critical acting folks at the time since Saturn co-rules my 7th house).

But in that particular case that you mentioned, yes i did mean well but i probably could have been more gentle and subtle about it.

Good idea about the river.

Yes, one of the main lessons for me karmically in this lifetime, is to learn how to take care of and balance the physical vehicle in order for greater light to shine through into the daily physical state--i'm still refining the process.   

And generally it's probably important for folks too, especially in this day and age of chronic, over toxicity on so many levels. 

Yet there seems to be an important balance too in this.  It's generally not good to overly concentrate on the body, and especially not in a worrying type way.   That can keep ones vibrational levels at slower frequencies and more blocked, even if one is eating really healthily.    It's kind of an odd balance of caring, but not caring at the same time, i can't explain it very well.  It also depends on how you approach it i think, and what your overall and core motivations are.

No need to be ashamed of having been anorexic.

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 9:06pm

oh the anorexic thing was that nothing tastes good, seemed a chore, that americans center life around 3 squares. is this maintenance of the body is quite a preoccupation when esoteric studies take priority and I seemed to almost disappear from the world after I wrote my book.

now I'm at perfect weight and enjoying food again, and preparation of it, no hassle, cause there's no rush, no need to get "smarter" lol.

what I think we are trying to describe something together. it comes down to appreciation of who you are, of who I am, as I realized this body would be dead someday. only one of this model, although I've had many bodies, each one has got it's pluses and minus points, this one is really nice. so we learn to respect our bodies without overdoing that factor.

it has something to do with being grateful for a life, no life is a waste, and I think this is the last physical body I will take on. so want to make the best of it, and wave to my friends. thank you Justin for tooting your horn on the sea of life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.