Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do you learn to realize u r dreaming? (Read 7000 times)
Lucy

C1
How do you learn to realize u r dreaming?
May 29th, 2008 at 2:02pm

In waking life, I have a "bad" habit of using the lower steps on the staircase as a filing cabinet of sorts. I have to reaarange a few things for the summer and have been intending to get that cleaned up.

So I looked down, in this instance, at the stairs. I don't know "where" my conciousness was before this, but there I was at the top of the stairs, looking down. And the stairs had been cleaned. No papers. And I remember thinking that so-and-so must have cleaned it up and I would have to ask that person. I was a little disconcerted about this as I didn't know how the stairs got cleaned. At the time, I thought I was wide awake. Then I don't know where my conciousness went.

So imagine my surprise when, having been awake and up and down the stairs multiple times, I just went to walk up the stairs and realized that they had not been cleaned. And that I had had a very clear near-lucid dream experience.

I think I am afraid to realize that I am dreaming. I was so clear in my thinking that I probably would have thought I coudl balance my checkbook or drive my (physical) car or pich myself and not wake up. I did not at all recognize that I was not "awake."

1- I find it rare to get into that kind of mental state. Does anyone have any ways to induce it?

2- How do you learn to deal with being awake in being asleep? I am afraid of my own conciousness!

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Re: How do you learn to realize u r dreaming?
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2008 at 5:14pm

I find it to be very rare as well, although I responded to my own prompt to do it not too long ago. But, I don't really know if I was "imagining" that I was lucid in my dream -- at least that time, there was nothing to compare with it.

For you, it seems that you were awake enough to notice that something was different. That's what I was doing in my last dream, except that I wasn't anywhere that I actually recognized/remembered when I woke up. I just "knew" in my dream that nothing was real in it, at least, that's what I was pointing out to someone, item by item.

I think you can prompt yourself to do it again. Or to stop doing it. It's your mind, after all. I think it will listen to you.

Although it is rare, I would compare the feeling, in a dream, of being awake, to that of deja vu. It is a moment of disorientation within the dream, when you realize that you are aware, more aware than usual, where you are.

I find it interesting that my focus the few times I remember experiencing this, was on the physical objects around me, the room, etc. It felt like suddenly putting on a pair of glasses within the dream. Like, oh, wow, I'm actually seeing, and this is actually me, and I actually "know" I am here rather than just doing whatever I did before.

There are guides out there, for sure. Companions who can join us there. It must be fun to meet up with people lucidly "out" there.

love, blink

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2008 at 9:11pm

Hi Lucy,

Like blink says, it must be fun to meet up with other souls out there--so there's more to look forward to than your experience so far has shown you.
You are on the brink of a wonderful breakthrough, being conscious in/of the spiritual planes, so try looking forward to that, and not back at whatever makes you afraid.

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #3 - May 30th, 2008 at 12:38pm

The feeling of deja vu is a good one to describe part of the feelings. Deja vu, oh yes I can be concious in this psarticular way. Deja vu on the other side.

When, the next day, I looked at the stairs and noticed them, and realized they were cluttered again, there was a moment when I thought they had been cleared off in C1.There was a moment of not knowing what was "real."I didn't recall the dream as a dream, either. There was some different quality about that experience. I just call it a dream because that is the only way to talk about it.

I don't feel that I am on the verge of some breakthrough. Things like this have happened from time to time for ...decades! But each is an isolated incident. What has been interesting is finding comments by others that indicate they have odd experiences too. For the longest time this sort of thing happened in isolation.

Maybe I would have to devote great time and energy to this in order to get a grip on it. I think I hhave often failed to realize how much work is involved in some of this stuff. I want it to be eqsy the way school was when I was a kid. If I had developed great power to focus, maybe it would be. I have certainly underestimated the work involved in developing focus. Maybe that is part fo the hhuman problem. Maybe that is why people developed different sacrificial rituals, to enhance focus.I feel stupid that I have to raise energy to pray well. Surely I am missing something? (Sorry I am combining some thoughts I have played with over a period of time, and not doing a complete job).

It would be fun to go lucid and then think of meeting up with folks from the board. I wonder what would happen? (I have this comment in mind, that it would be like being Max Headroom..I would think "I want to meet with the people from the board" and then I would suddenly be stuck in the electronics of the board trying to meet you all! Asking, how did I get here?)

I came across an article yesterday that talks baout dealing with nightmars. On the one hand, it was interesting to see this as though it is being accepted into the mainstream. On the other hand, it was discouraging to see a modern person taking credit for a techniques that has been around for ...generations! depending on the culture. I am trying to think more clearly about using these techniques (practice during the day) even though I have no way to go back to the state on purpose at night.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=4954892&page=1

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #4 - May 30th, 2008 at 12:44pm

Oh yeah well this is just for a side comment. Years ago I had too much time on my hands and I kept trying to go OOBE a la Monroe technique and I almost succeeded but I freaked out and didn't have this nice board to ask people questions (I lived in a vaccuum) a. And during that time period I also had quite a number of strange dreams. In one I was sitting in a stairwell type place. I currently think it may have been this current house. I do sometimes sit in the stairs. (I like the wallpaper). So it must be some kind of power point for me, for reasona I do not understand. Maybe I can "use" that to help me do more.

I have so many things I need to focus on it is hard to just pick dreams. I suppose they are all woven together though.

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #5 - May 30th, 2008 at 12:54pm

The other factor...I just thought of this while reading on the retrievals page...was that the night this happened, I had been somewhat focused on an unfolding news story in the region. Two subway trains crashed and one person ended up dying, but for about 4 hours as they tried to cut her out of the train before she died, there was all this sense of urgency and helplessness. And then the sadness when they announced it was a recovery mission rather than a resue mission.  Intense emotion and intense focus. Do others notice a correlation betweem that sort of thing and any unusual dream life experiences ?

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #6 - May 30th, 2008 at 1:53pm

Getting overly verbal here!

but  a corresponding article at the above link was woth mentioning:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3936448&page=1

Sorry I missed the Nightline show. I can probably find the book.

(Some of) the comments are worth reading too.

So one suggestion is to put a special tape on a timer and have it come on and play in the middle of the night. Sounds interesting.

Anither is to sleep for 6 hours, get up for an hour, then go back to sleep.

Might work on weekends.

Don't know anythign about gala..whatever it is.

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #7 - May 30th, 2008 at 3:03pm

Can we vote on it, Lucy?  Smiley

I vote for the more natural choice of sleeping to get your rest, then wake up and set your intent, then go back to sleep. Your body will be refreshed by the first sleep, allowing your mind to be alert for and enjoy the second phase that takes you into spirit.

It would be easy to disagree with you that you are not on the verge of some breakthrough,
so I do.  Cheesy   It sounds like you put up defences against most of the hints you get, so your Higher Self waits awhile, then tries again. You won't be sorry when you let it happen, Lucy.

Have you got some of Bruce's books around?  His manner of explaining things is so calm and reassuring.  Maybe it's time to read those again.

Each path to spirit is based upon one's own soul, so I can't match your experiences to what has happened to me. But that doesn't matter. Say that you are ready (set your intent), and at the next opportune time (when you are rested, etc) you'll be on your way!

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #8 - May 31st, 2008 at 3:51pm

Lucy said: Intense emotion and intense focus. Do others notice a correlation between that sort of thing and any unusual dream life experiences ?
____

hi there. yes. my first retrieval had significant effect on my entire thought system, and came about due to an intensive build up of curiosity/desire.  in a sense, this build up of curiosity was of an emotional quality as well, the desire aspect was to know myself. or if I could ascertain my ability this way.

Monroe fascinated me to this curiosity. he caused me to ask the right question, for we all desire to know ourselves.

I've noticed one other thing about emotion. Anger can be a reality producing value. if turned into a self determination thing, rather than letting it eat you. so it's a double edged sword.
definetely, all emotions are communications to the self, they lead somewhere if we ask the question why am I feeling this way?  the dream world points to the question why, yet there are levels of lucidity within dreams as well within obes.

a lot of my dreams escape me upon wakening, but never has a full blown obe escaped me, as well phasing you are still conscious for that.
I think when working in this area, it's important to not try too hard to remember them, but I've read if you lie in bed and don't immediately jump up, that the dream will sometimes start to filter in, where you might have gone the night before.

we have such interesting prospects for opening our awareness these days.

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

curiousgeorge

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 4:46pm

When the mind is at a calm, somewhat electric energized state, start telling yourself to realize that you are dreaming- throughout the day. If you do this as a habit and you are alert enough, your mind is clear, and you have your priorities aligned then more frequently you will have lucid dreams. Here are some coincidences to my dreams and lucid encounters: connected deeply with crystals and gems, soaked crystals and gems in rose&salt-water to cleanse and left them in a bowl and for 12 hours they actively awakened my subconcious mind and increased mental comfort, perceptions, almost an angelic presence was there.  Then stimulants and relaxation- natural stimulants- went swimming, had organic white tea which is probably good for dream recall
and also as the effects of caffeine wear off my dream recall increases which would be- a change in mental stimulus, change in your surroundings, change in your attitude- can trigger dream changes. So any gradual change might not be as profound as the sudden epiphany that would bring you a symbolic dream-filled night.
Self-awareness. MANTRAS! And meditation...I have finally begun to start meditating, it's difficult and not entirely successful- but the calm is rewarding. I basically lay down on my couch and repeat phrases to myself. I haven't established any really good mantras yet, but I have meditated and that night have had very lucid dreams.
Hope this helps!

Curious George~

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:31pm

thank you curious George. what a neat little monkey gave me a giggle. yes, I think what u say is helpful.

IP Logged

Old Dood

Lansing
Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 8:37am

Could you be hypnotized to be 'aware' that you are dreaming?

Same for Astral Travel?

At least counld you be hypnotized to 'remember' your dreams and astral travel?

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:02am

I think so Dood. Whenever I set an intention to do a retrieval or some other exploration maybe that's a lot like hynotizing myself, bypassing the "I can't do this" idea and going straight for "yes, I can."

IP Logged

identcat

New Hampshire
Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 5:51am

Hey Lucy-----
Funny you should bring all this up.  About three mornings ago, I went to sleep on the recliner as I often do when I toss and turn in bed and can't sleep there.  I heard my boarder get up and walk into the kitchen and start my dishwasher.  As I was awaking, I said to myself, "There aren't enough dishes in there and he just throws his bowl on the top rack".  So, I got up from the recliner and walked from the living room into the kitchen.  To my left where my small china cabinet is, I saw an old corrupted refrigerator with no door.  I kept staring at it and wondered where it came from.  Everything else in my kitchen was in place.  I realized that I was "dreaming" and looked at the dishwasher, turned around and went back to my recliner.  Then, I fell back to sleep and the loop started again, only this time I decided to shut the dishwasher off!  I still realized I was dreaming, but wanted to break the cycle.  After shutting the dishwasher off, I looked out the window toward my back yard, and the scenery suddenly had changed. Now I had a long porch that was from one end of the house to the other end, in the back yard, and my grand daughter's astral decided to join me.  I was delighted and continued the dream with her. My back yard, which is actually flat, now arranged itself with a huge sloping, rolling green hill with an assortment of back yard animals all playing.  Sara and I started naming the animals (she is only 3 years old) and we giggled as we named them.  Suddenly I saw a Yeiti (Big Foot) also playing.  With that I finally woke myself up.

During the lucid dreaming I had control all three times.   Wink

When I do a retrieval, I realize I am not asleep--- I "use my imagination" or my inner mind to reach my goal, and more often than not, I am successful.  When I have seen and felt my past lives (or other selves Here/There) I am only half conscious/half asleep and I am very much There.  I haven't mastered smelling during my experiences.  The only times I have smell intuition is when someone has passed and I smell a bouquet of flowers in the air. 

Hugs to All--- Carol Ann

The three things you can never take back:
The spoken word.
The unkind thought.
The misused hour.
identcat  
IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 5:01pm

identcat wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 5:51am:
Hey Lucy-----
Funny you should bring all this up.  About three mornings ago, I went to sleep on the recliner as I often do when I toss and turn in bed and can't sleep there.  I heard my boarder get up and walk into the kitchen and start my dishwasher.  As I was awaking, I said to myself, "There aren't enough dishes in there and he just throws his bowl on the top rack".  So, I got up from the recliner and walked from the living room into the kitchen.  To my left where my small china cabinet is, I saw an old corrupted refrigerator with no door.  I kept staring at it and wondered where it came from.  Everything else in my kitchen was in place.  I realized that I was "dreaming" and looked at the dishwasher, turned around and went back to my recliner.  Then, I fell back to sleep and the loop started again, only this time I decided to shut the dishwasher off!  I still realized I was dreaming, but wanted to break the cycle.  After shutting the dishwasher off, I looked out the window toward my back yard, and the scenery suddenly had changed. Now I had a long porch that was from one end of the house to the other end, in the back yard, and my grand daughter's astral decided to join me.  I was delighted and continued the dream with her. My back yard, which is actually flat, now arranged itself with a huge sloping, rolling green hill with an assortment of back yard animals all playing.  Sara and I started naming the animals (she is only 3 years old) and we giggled as we named them.  Suddenly I saw a Yeiti (Big Foot) also playing.  With that I finally woke myself up.

During the lucid dreaming I had control all three times.   Wink

When I do a retrieval, I realize I am not asleep--- I "use my imagination" or my inner mind to reach my goal, and more often than not, I am successful.  When I have seen and felt my past lives (or other selves Here/There) I am only half conscious/half asleep and I am very much There.  I haven't mastered smelling during my experiences.  The only times I have smell intuition is when someone has passed and I smell a bouquet of flowers in the air. 

Hugs to All--- Carol Ann

Vee, I wonder if in the past or the future, your place had a wraparound porch? and that you were seeing the astral imprint, by stepping outside of linear time, it would be focus 15 I believe, in the lucid dream area. let me check on that.
Focus 10 -- Mind awake, body asleep
Focus 15 -- No time, view past and future probs
____

so I'd hazard a guess, becoming lucid in dreamstate is actually focus 10. then you drifted into focus 15.
just theory. but I remember setting an intention several times to do night time retrievals and coming upon a future project on my farm, which later on my new buyers told me they were going to do this project, there was activity, new construction plans for the yard. no dates were given.

I remember continuing to look around a bit and then finding my retrieval which was also located somewhere on the farm but the astral level of the farm. which when I found my "ghost" it would mean I went to focus 23, which is a belief system territory.

also, I remember, and some others here have this occur, where a friend appear briefly in focus 10 or 15, or maybe even 12, which is expanded mind.

I was getting ready to end a long term relationship and the fellow showed up as I lay prone on my bed, knowing I was in the lucid state. he was sort of sighing helplessly as he was picking up my intentions to end the relationship which I had not verbalized yet.

I just remember thinking and feeling some exasperation that he should wait until I verbalized goodbye before complaining in his astral body... Roll Eyes  it's like I needed privacy so I'd let him down gently.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.