Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
machines to "match" man by 2029 (Read 2257 times)
blink
Ex Member

machines to "match" man by 2029
Feb 16th, 2008 at 4:29pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7248875.stm

Machines will achieve human-level artificial intelligence by 2029, a leading US inventor has predicted.
Humanity is on the brink of advances that will see tiny robots implanted in people's brains to make them more intelligent said engineer Ray Kurzweil.

He said machines and humans would eventually merge through devices implanted in the body to boost intelligence and health......

(see link for rest of the article)

for your thoughts, blink

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Re: machines to "match" man by 2029
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 6:46pm

Hi Blink,

Thanks for the link to make us think.  Wink   Wink

Is this what Alan meant when he said the human era is about over?

When I say "I think, therefore I am," what will the I be?

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 5:45am

Thanks Blink,
yeah I would presume that "Cyborg days" have been well on their way, its been a sneaking progress, but it is all around us.

Just the other day an elderly friend of mine got out of the hospital with a new hip. I guess the good news of all of this is, pretty soon they`ll have to figure out a replacement for metal detectors...lol..

Hugs,
Nanner

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 5:05pm

Hi Blink. For all that I guess we've been hearing that sort of stuff for many years - it's pretty funny to read some of the predictions made back in the 60s, and to see how little progress we've made.

It's not too clear I think either that science has any very meaningful grasp of how the brain works yet  - for example it's unclear whether or not its just an interface to another dimension, but the llatter at this stage seems most likely. So repairs might somehow restore function, but wouldn't necessarily actually support that function.

The other big factor seems to be the nature of mind. Computers do linear logic to a programme very well, but they don't seem to be able to reproduce the right brain or intuitive capability of mind. Never mind the odd capabilities that arise with altered states of consciousness.

Put another way. A computer programme is basically a machine run predictive model (like say maths), not sure how it might perceive true reality directly rather than just input data....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.