Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Robert Chang - www.ethereality.info (Read 1804 times)
Kyo_Kusanagi

Robert Chang - www.ethereality.info
Nov 25th, 2007 at 8:12am

The above artwork is by artist/musician Robert Chang.
http://www.ethereality.info/

One of Robert's blog entries really struck a (deeply personal... this life, past life, anytime) chord for me... couldn't have agreed more or said it better myself... in many more aspects than one.. thanks Robert :

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/main_page/home.htm

Many years ago, I had written about Mary Kay Letourneau’s case in the editorial section of one of the issues of Enchanted, and it caused Enchanted to be banned in one of the states (can’t remember which one, but I think it’s one of the southern states). Essentially, I had expressed sympathy for the couple, as I felt it was not a typical case of child rape, as the circumstances were very different from what we usually think of as child rape criminal cases. I’m not going to discuss the details of the case since you can easily find all the details online. Anyway, I have not kept up with the case for a couple of years, and I’m very happy to find out that after Mary Kay finished her sentence (seven years later), the two were still very much in love and are now married.

I was going to write a lengthy vent on how one-size-fits-all law systems will always cause injustices as there will always be exceptions that defy categorization and generalization, but I think this is something either you agree or don’t agree with, depending on your personal dispositions.

When I try to rationalize all the reasons why I was/am on May Kay and Vili’s side, I can see obvious mirroring in my own life that makes me sympathetic to their case. My first serious girlfriend was nine years older than me, and I was a minor at the time (I was seventeen). At no time during our relationship did the factor of age ever come up, except when early on I asked her if she cared that I was so much younger. Her reply was, “No, I think of you as someone my age–in fact you seem older than me in many ways.” It was a relationship as normal as any other, and the idea that she could’ve gone to jail based on a technicality just doesn’t sit well with me. I’ve also had friends who were certainly precocious and displayed far more maturity and wisdom than some of the adults I knew, and they were treated badly by adults that were inferior human beings in every way. I was a precocious kid myself, and I certainly knew what the hell I wanted and had far more conviction in my life’s goals than most adults around me, so I can understand very well why Mary Kay did not see Vili as a typical thirteen-year old (the fact he was artistically talented resonated with me as well). There was also a point in my life where I was in love with a teacher, and we were very close and shared a deep bond (I was sixteen, and she was thirty-five). I was asked to go live with her and her family in Japan, and I really wanted to, except it didn’t feel right to intrude as she had two daughters and was in an unhappy marriage. Instinctively I knew if I had accepted her offer, it would’ve lead to a lot of drama, and I just couldn’t disrupt her life like that. But other than my own life experiences making me predisposed to taking Mary Kay and Vili’s side, is probably the fact that deep down inside, I’ve always been an idealist and romantic, and I’ve always felt that the legal system for the most part is flawed (thought I understand the need for the law to treat everyone the same, even when we are so different from one another). Whether Mary Kay and Vili’s marriage is a successful one that lasts a lifetime remains to be seen, but at this point, it’s no longer important because how many people’s “normal” marriages are successful anyway? The fact that after all the tears and hardship they still remained together and got married is enough, and for me, the curtain is drawn here, and it’s a happy ending in my book.

IP Logged

Gweexldax

Alamosa Junk Yard

Arizona Mohave Desert
Re: Robert Chang - www.ethereality.info
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 5:50pm

I agree with you a great deal. I have seen married couples the same age who act like they hate one another, and the wife or hubby may often complain about how "IMMATURE"  the other acts. People who tend to judge the differences in age, like Mary Kay's relationship, often dream about having a younger mate.(not too young, however) They just won't admit it. Years ago, the American Pioneers often took wives as young as 15. That was considered OK, but heaven help the 36 year old woman who jumped a 17 year old male to ride into the sunset. Humans can have such warped standards. I am not keen on arranged marriages, tho. Imagine the nightmare being forced at 16 to marry an 82 year old dude, and give him 3 children, just to get a roof over your head, and a fat dowry for the greedy relatives.

Have you snubbed a nasty Corporation lately?
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.