Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Had School Been More Fun (Read 2388 times)
Gweexldax

Alamosa Junk Yard

Arizona Mohave Desert
Had School Been More Fun
Sep 29th, 2007 at 1:45pm

I was born in 1947. Catholic upbringing. (Got away from it) As a child, I was always attracted to unusual religions, ghosts, ESP, and  other cultures, but it was not cool to do so ! As a result, I created my own world in order to survive my own personal hell : Public school.  My question to any of you:  Do you believe that Metaphysical subjects will ever be taught in Public Schools in the USA ? (Not forced, like religion used to be, but simply made available ?)  I would loved to have Astral Travelled before Graham Crackers and Milk. (especially in 11th grade lol). One of the reasons that I do not wish to reincarnate onto this crazy planet is due to the fact that I just hated public school after the 2nd grade. I considered it a nightmare.

Have you snubbed a nasty Corporation lately?
IP Logged

the_seeker

Re: Had School Been More Fun
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 3:58pm

i actually enjoyed school much more than jobs. 

i'm sure metaphysical thing will be taught in school one day, when science does more tests and finally admits the obvious.

IP Logged

Cricket

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 9:24am

LOL!  I thought I was the only one who didn't really want to come back, just so I could avoid another set of school days...

I doubt they'll ever teach metaphysical subjects, since it's hard to do so without promoting individual thinking, which is the last thing they want.

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 6:33pm

Hooray!

After spending the first forty of my first forty-five years in public schooling, I say bravo to home schools and community-based education! Then we can teach our youngsters what we find important.
Wink....And then they'll rebel against it.

Love, Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 9:16pm

Home schooling is probably just as open to abuse as is public schooling. Public schooling is just teaching certain aspects of the culture; it will change when enough people want it to. The purpose of schooling is to teach how to read and write and do arithmetic. When did it become responsible for teaching you how to live? The early history of the country is full of stories of communities engaged in debate over issues. Maybe kids learned about how to think by watching their parents. Waves of immigrants built up the cities too fast for this way of life to survive. Schools became places to prepare people for the factory. Now things have evolved to people turning on the tv and popping open a beer. Do you think kids would be better home-schooled by parents like that? Yet there are alternatives. Some teachers are challenged to get their students to think. Lies my Teacher Taught Me was required reading for junior honors history students summer before last at my son's school. (Unfortunately the other teachers weren't required to read it). And Montessori schools and Waldorf schools offer alternatives. I just heard about another alternative school:
http://www.educationrevolution.org/dangreenberg.html
Besides, it could have been worse; you could have gone to parochial school. Like my former co-worker from the Phillipines who talked of having to wear long-sleeve blouses (in the Phillipines!!! with no airconditioning) in parochial school; the nuns told them it was good for them to suffer.

Here's a list of alternative schools
http://www.educationrevolution.org/lisofdemscho.html

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2007 at 11:14pm by Lucy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.