Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Please don't try this at home . . . (Read 19495 times)
Bruce Moen
Ex Member

Please don't try this at home . . .
Dec 12th, 2004 at 3:39pm

. . . taking a poll on this board I mean Cheesy)

This post violates the terms of posting on this Board as it is off topic.  But I need information from you regarding possible changes to the look, feel and features of the Board itself. 

I am considering upgrading the Conversation Board software to a different look, more modern administration system, and more modern features.

Some recent and some past postings have suggested modernizing the system.  On Allan's recommendation I'm checking out YaBB and I am liking what I see.  I am especially attracted to the easier board administration, maintenance and live member to member chat possibilities.

Maybe some of you would like to take a look at the software's features and post what you think.  Copy and paste this URL

http://www.yabbforum.com/

into your browser, check it out and post.

Please do not be alarmed if your posts to this poll thread get pruned quickly.  If many people decide to check out the software and respond I may need to keep this branch pruned to save room on the board for its real purpose.

Tthank you,

Bruce

IP Logged

Carolyn
Ex Member

Not sure
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2004 at 7:50am

I've always liked the simple set-up of this forum, the way you can skim the page and get a feel for the conversation activity. It also loads quickly on my slow dial-up connection (I live in the boonies). I checked out the yabb site but don't understand what it entails. Would I have to update my browser and system software? (Mac OS 9.04.) I admit,  even though I work all day on my computer, I am slow to update as everything works fine for my job and from my experience updating one thing  can create an avalanche of upgrades (i.e. costly and time-consuming). So I'm nervous about it changing, but understand if I am outvoted. Smiley

Carolyn

IP Logged

Tim Furneaux
Ex Member

I've got the same questions n/m
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2004 at 11:41am

Smiley

IP Logged

JG
Ex Member

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Please don't try this at home . . .
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2004 at 12:50am

Ironically Bruce, I was going to suggest this weeks ago!!! I can help out with whatever you need done because I am "the computer guy" in my real life profession. I think it would be a GREAT idea!!

Too much knowledge without proper interpretation is borderline insanity. - JG

IP Logged

Rosalie
Ex Member

Security????
Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 3:12pm

Hi Bruce,

I'm sure you remember the problems we had with this board in the beginning until Russ wrote the great script that eliminated them.  My only caution would be that any new board program have the same kind of administrative control that keeps this format free from folks whose only motive is the destruction of it.

Rosalie

IP Logged

Allan
YaBB Administrator

Re: Security????
Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 10:16pm

Rosalie,

Without knowing what security problems you've had in the past and what was done to fix them, I cannot address this question with any specifics.  I agree; security is important.  There are security admin features within YaBB which will block access to abusive users, based upon configurable criteria (IP addresses, # of posts per time period, etc.), as well as security within the design itself.  Also, its open-source format makes it relatively easy to program additional administrative controls as needed.

I know that YaBB has been around for several years, and most known security issues had been worked out quickly in its earlier phases.  Their development team takes security seriously and has always been quick to respond to any new issues as they become discovered.  This is very nice, considering it is free software that doesn't require you to display annoying advertisements, etc..

One cannot truthfully make the claim that ANY system is, and will always be, 100% secure.  They can only say that all known security issues have been addressed, at the present moment, in order to minimize risk.  They can also express their successful experiences.  Many admins, including myself, have been using this software successfully for quite some time now.  This doesn't imply that risk is not associated with change, only that the benefits of such change could be worth the risk.

Allan

IP Logged

Romain

North/West Coast
YaBB....sorry.... No..:) not my cup of tea.....n/
Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 9:38pm

: . . . taking a poll on this board I mean Cheesy)

: This post violates the terms of posting on this Board as it is off topic.  But I need information from you regarding possible changes to the look, feel and features of the Board itself. 

: I am considering upgrading the Conversation Board software to a different look, more modern administration system, and more modern features.

: Some recent and some past postings have suggested modernizing the system.  On Allan's recommendation I'm checking out YaBB and I am liking what I see.  I am especially attracted to the easier board administration, maintenance and live member to member chat possibilities.

:   Maybe some of you would like to take a look at the software's features and post what you think.  Copy and paste this URL

: http://www.yabbforum.com/

: into your browser, check it out and post.

: Please do not be alarmed if your posts to this poll thread get pruned quickly.  If many people decide to check out the software and respond I may need to keep this branch pruned to save room on the board for its real purpose.

: Tthank you,

: Bruce

IP Logged

Ricardo
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 1:33pm

Great features and a most wonderful Price!

IP Logged

Petrus
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 8:13am

Hey Bruce...
Looks good. You might also want to check out http://tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php which is the homepage of TikiWiki, a free Wiki/CMS. Also has forum software such as this, but has support for Wikis and a few other things as well. I've actually thought a Wiki could be a very interesting format to put this site's FAQ into...because you could list your methods/observations about different Afterlife topics, and then other retrievers/experimenters here could annotate accounts of using said methods. Just an idea, anywayz.

IP Logged

Claudio
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 12:41am

Bruce.
I say  YES, but please don't chose a super-tech MB, they're very boring!
Try to check out Bravenet boards, instead. They're easy to handle and have both a free version (with banners) and not free one (without banners).
Both Linn and I have our BBS on Bravenet, so you can go there to take a look.
Much L,L&S
Claudio.

http://pub30.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=2568666370&cpv=2

http://pub46.bravenet.com/forum/3944874556

IP Logged

Alysia Mcalister
Ex Member

Re: bravenet is good
Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 10:07pm

: Bruce.
: I say  YES, but please don't chose a super-tech MB, they're very boring!
: Try to check out Bravenet boards, instead. They're easy to handle and have both a free version (with banners) and not free one (without banners).
: Both Linn and I have our BBS on Bravenet, so you can go there to take a look.
: Much L,L&S
: Claudio.

: http://pub30.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=2568666370&cpv=2

: http://pub46.bravenet.com/forum/3944874556
______

I like Linn's bravenet and this one because we all post on the same page, we are all gathered in the same room so to speak and don't have to keep opening doors and looking into other rooms to see what's going on....it just seems more conducive to a family atmosphere to keep it that way. Elias board is like that too, or like this one, yet we have a nice archive page too. just my 2 cents. love, alysia

IP Logged

DM
Ex Member

agree Alysia! :))) n/m
Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 7:39am

: : Bruce.
: : I say  YES, but please don't chose a super-tech MB, they're very boring!
: : Try to check out Bravenet boards, instead. They're easy to handle and have both a free version (with banners) and not free one (without banners).
: : Both Linn and I have our BBS on Bravenet, so you can go there to take a look.
: : Much L,L&S
: : Claudio.

: : http://pub30.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=2568666370&cpv=2

: : http://pub46.bravenet.com/forum/3944874556
: ______

: I like Linn's bravenet and this one because we all post on the same page, we are all gathered in the same room so to speak and don't have to keep opening doors and looking into other rooms to see what's going on....it just seems more conducive to a family atmosphere to keep it that way. Elias board is like that too, or like this one, yet we have a nice archive page too. just my 2 cents. love, alysia

IP Logged

Patty
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 9:12pm

Hi Bruce,

I have always thought that a nice feature would be a page on the site where verified experiences could be archived.

Many of us love to read the verification end of things, and many participants have verified experiences.

As far as MB features, do whatever makes your job easiest. Participants adapt pretty quickly.

IP Logged

SteveED
Ex Member

Sounds like a plan. I'd enjoy live chats
Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 7:46pm

BTW, I made the "Santa" Comment down the board.

IP Logged

wolfspirit
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 6:58pm

: . . . taking a poll on this board I mean Cheesy)

: This post violates the terms of posting on this Board as it is off topic.  But I need information from you regarding possible changes to the look, feel and features of the Board itself. 

: I am considering upgrading the Conversation Board software to a different look, more modern administration system, and more modern features.

: Some recent and some past postings have suggested modernizing the system.  On Allan's recommendation I'm checking out YaBB and I am liking what I see.  I am especially attracted to the easier board administration, maintenance and live member to member chat possibilities.

:   Maybe some of you would like to take a look at the software's features and post what you think.  Copy and paste this URL

: http://www.yabbforum.com/

: into your browser, check it out and post.

: Please do not be alarmed if your posts to this poll thread get pruned quickly.  If many people decide to check out the software and respond I may need to keep this branch pruned to save room on the board for its real purpose.

: Tthank you,

: Bruce

hi bruce and every one iam not sure i know what you mean but if it means inproving this board than iam all for it ihave only been here for 3 months but i feel like every one here has helped me throu my sad times and i injoy every ones input and this is the first place i come to when iam on line so love you all           love wolfspirit

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.