Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Being present at the time of someone's death (Read 4866 times)
Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Colorado
Being present at the time of someone's death
Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:24pm

What are your experiences of being with someone while they are passing away? 

I haven't been with someone I was extremely close to while they were dying -- that would definitely be extremely difficult for me to deal with --but very recently, on June 8th at 1:00 am, my son got a call from his dad telling us that he was at the hospital and his wife was dying.  We rushed in to the hospital to be with him.  I knew that my ex-husband would be there alone and that he must be devastated and heartbroken, so I wanted to be there for support and comfort.  I don’t want to give details of her medical treatment and death because he’s having it investigated.

At one point when they were discussing whether to continue life support measures or not, I sensed her spirit coming out of the room and standing behind my ex-husband who was leaning over the counter of the nurse’s station, hanging his head and crying.  I didn’t see her with my eyes but I sensed she was there putting her hand on his back.  I sensed that she wanted to be let go even though he said she had always said she would want all measures taken to save her should it come to that.  When he asked me what he should do, I told him as gently as I could that I think he should let her go. 

And when they did take her off life support and left the three of us alone with her in her room in her last minutes alive, I just stood by her side beaming PUL toward her and nonphysically “talking” to her, basically just wishing her well as she transitions.  Then I sensed that it would help my ex if I told him he should let her know it’s ok for her to go. 

So I said, “She’s holding on for you.  You should tell her it’s ok for her to go.”  I was surprised at how easily he accepted that, and he said of course it’s ok, and so he stood up, kissed the side of her head, rubbed her face, said he loved her and he was sorry, and told her it’s ok for her to go.  Then she stopped breathing.  Watching all of this was very surreal! 

Despite all the devastation about this situation, the moment she passed away I found myself beaming a smile and I had to actually consciously stop doing it so my ex-husband and son wouldn’t see me smiling.  Even thought I was crying, I realized that I was also smiling because she had transitioned and was at peace, no longer suffering in her body and I'm sure I was feeling her spirit feeling loving, happy, and free.

Unfortunately (in my opinion) for my ex, he doesn’t believe in any of this stuff.  He doesn’t believe we have a soul or spirit or that we go on after death.  He thinks you die and then you don’t exist anymore.  It was one of the major facets of why we divorced; he couldn’t accept that I had these beliefs and he didn’t want me exploring them.  So, I didn’t tell him any of that because it wouldn’t do him any good.  He needs to mourn in his own way.

I did find it interesting though that a couple days later he told me he had a very nice, comforting dream about her.  He said in the dream they hugged and then she put on her new hat.  He even mentioned it again a few days later that it was a very comforting dream and that he knew I’d appreciate him mentioning it.  I of course believe that was a visit from her, and he said he did feel it was special and likes to think she was there to comfort him. 

Anyway, I was grateful to be there to be supportive for him and also getting to experience what I did. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, or share similar experiences surrounding someone's passing.  I think I was able to handle it "ok" because I wasn't close to her.  I mean, if it was someone I love dearly I'd be a wreck like my ex-husband was.  I was crying but that was for him, not for her.  I felt so, so sad for him  Cry

Vicky

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Morrighan

Multidimensional Navigator

Isle of Everywhere
Re: Being present at the time of someone's death
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:16pm

Parallel to your recounting, Vicky, comes this:

Out for dinner Saturday when I receive a text from a close friend. A relative of hers had his life intentionally taken by his  nephew and caretaker, who suffers multiple disabilities. The newly deceased was 83, and was aware of himself sliding into dementia. The nephew, I am informed, was taken in custody.

Would I look into this, my friend asks.

Sure, as soon as the screaming stops*, I replied, and finished a fine dinner. The next morning my friend sends me a photo of the gentleman.

First thing I saw as I looked is him smoking a pipe. Then got the full rote; basically he is being cocooned in love, and reported same. Did he smoke a pipe, I ask, and she says, yes, he was a smoker.

Just a quick down and dirty look for my friend. And she is looking at the act now as an act of love, for she was shown this was a mercy killing, so that he would not be subjected to the protracted experience of dementia. It simply wasn't necessary.

Said to my friend, I wish people [like the nephew] didn't have to take such hard paths. I think we're all familiar here with hard paths  Smiley 

* the screaming I was present to when I first looked were those of high emotion, not inflicted pain.
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2018 at 6:18pm by Morrighan »  

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over — Fudd's First Law of Opposition.
It goes in — it must come out. — Teslacles Deviant to Fudd's First Law
IP Logged

seagullresting

ALK Member

USA
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 7:07pm

Vicky, it is so heartwarming to read your account of the passing of your ex-husband's wife. Having read your book I understand a little of your personal history and I am so very happy for you that your life has evolved to this state of being. I am blown away by the perfection of your experience with your ex-husband.

In answer to your question I have only been present to 2 "deaths"  of human companions which were very different from each other. I see these experiences as fine teaching lessons to me. It is only honest for me to admit that I learned very much from the journey into and out of the pain of loss in each case. I now see how all things can work out for a higher cause, even when that is difficult to understand. The understanding may take many years or be very clear and very fast.

What is so abundantly clear to me is that love never dies. I asked my deceased mom for a sign the other day, a specific one. It did appear. However, I realized later that what I was asking for was too small. It is possible to go much deeper. The message can be imbedded in a sequence of events that is impossible to ignore. There is that aha moment. Then the feeling that I am making it up. Then the realization that I could not have made it up. The universe can and does conspire to create events that are amazing, beyond what we might hope or imagine.

That is vague, what I just said. But, if I were to explain what happened this week to me it would make zero sense to someone else. Only I know. And that is okay.

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 7:42pm

Morrighan,

Wow, a mercy killing.  I can understand it but I couldn’t have done it.  That sure is what I’d call a hard path!

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 7:58pm

Seagull,

Thank you so much.  We’ve been divorced nearly 10 years and it’s taken us years to very slowly accept what happened in the past and move forward with no longer holding any emotional baggage.  Years ago any time we talked we would both re-live so much pain, anger, etc.  But in the past year we noticed it was no longer there, and we could talk and be there for our kids without any bitterness lingering about.  We have even been able to talk a little about the things we each recognized that we have learned from the past about our mistakes, our growth, etc.  Definitely on a soul level there has been growth for both of us and that’s truly a blessing.  It really did a lot of good for me to hear him say thank you for how I've raised the kids and done such a good job with them, and to hear him say he realizes the things that ruined our marriage.  It took all these years, but it really has done a lot of repair work inside me to hear that.  As well, it's also been good for me to be able to recognize my own mistakes and to say sorry and to truly mean it.  We both see that we've grown a lot and that's good for all of us, the kids too.  I can really see how much it means to our kids that me and my ex no longer hold onto any anger.

I really agree with you that all things work out for a higher cause.  I still struggle with accepting things sometimes, of course, but I’m grateful that I have that deeper understanding and belief.  It certainly makes it easier to cope with life’s downfalls. 

Quote:
What is so abundantly clear to me is that love never dies. I asked my deceased mom for a sign the other day, a specific one. It did appear. However, I realized later that what I was asking for was too small. It is possible to go much deeper. The message can be imbedded in a sequence of events that is impossible to ignore. There is that aha moment. Then the feeling that I am making it up. Then the realization that I could not have made it up. The universe can and does conspire to create events that are amazing, beyond what we might hope or imagine.

That is vague, what I just said. But, if I were to explain what happened this week to me it would make zero sense to someone else. Only I know. And that is okay.

That's what I love about knowing there are people who totally get it when I talk about my experiences.  Bruce was the only one who truly understood me the most.  Sometimes I'd run one of my experiences by him just so he could help me make more sense of it, and he always magically made this light come on for me.  I sure do miss that. 

I think those kinds of experiences are the best for the individual, those that are so complex yet perfect.  Those that are as you say, embedded in a sequence of events. There's no way you could make it up. 

You know me, I love to hear that kind of stuff.  If you ever feel like having a sounding board, you know I'd love to hear it!

Vicky

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

mystical1707

ALK Member

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 8:43am

Vicky, it was so heart warming to read about your experience and sensing she was there comforting him in the hospital. And lovely that he had a comforting dream about her afterwards.

I just wanted to share something that happened when my Nan passed away. I wasn't there at the time but my Mum, Dad, Auntie and Uncle all were. They said the most astonishing thing happened and to this day there is still no explanation. She died peacefully in her sleep inside the nursing home she was in. As they were there at her beside a short while after she had passed (they weren't there at the time), the door to her room swung open fully which was impossible to do because it was one of those very heavy doors with that clasp thing at the top that brings the door back to shutting as soon as you try to open it. My Mum likes to think it was my Grandad collecting my Nan but I like to think it was my Nan letting them all know she was still there but in spirit.

My Mum mentioned to the nursing home staff about what happened with the door and they weren't surprised at all. They said we wouldn't believe what they have witnessed when people have passed over, at times. We were busy then so had to go but I WISH I could have stayed to hear more!

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 10:36am

Hi Mystical.  Thanks for sharing that.  My opinion is that it was your Nan trying to get everyone’s attention to let them know she was there saying hi.  It must be pretty amazing for the dying, when they pass.  I imagine they don’t always just quickly leave.  They must be aware of leaving and want to say bye.  I think that’s only natural. 

Yes, nurses and doctors who work with dying patients see amazing things. My oncologist has told me several stories of him being aware right at the moment one of his patients passes away.  He will just get a strong knowing about that specific patient, that they have just died.  Sometimes it wakes him up in the middle of the night.  I think it’s his patients saying bye or maybe even “thank you” or something. 

A week after my wedding when I was 22, there was a horrible accident in which a friend’s sister was killed in a horse-riding accident.  A couple days after her death she appeared to my sister-in-law (who was also friends with my friend)…and she asked my sister-in-law to please tell her brother and parents that she’s ok. 

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

mystical1707

ALK Member

Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 6:02pm

I have read that some spirits don't know they have died and are wondering why people don't acknowledge them or why their hands can't get hold of something but I wonder how some people know they have died. I bet my Nan had to use some major force of energy to open that door wide because I had trouble opening it just slightly lol.

I wonder if your oncologist is a little psychic or if everyone that works in a medical field like that has these experiences. Maybe because they are closer to the patient. It must be nice for him that his patients come to say thank you or bye though.

I am so sorry to hear about your friends sister  Cry but that is wonderful she popped by to tell your SIL to let people know she was OK. I wonder why spirits only let people know they are OK and don't give them any more information.

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 12:09am

mystical1707 wrote on Nov 3rd, 2019 at 6:02pm:
I wonder why spirits only let people know they are OK and don't give them any more information.

I think it's because their intention isn't to interfere with our free will and lessons we need to learn.  And maybe just because they just died it doesn't mean they suddenly know more than they did while alive.  I also think that they too must be in a little shock about their death.  Just letting us know they're ok is probably a natural reaction.  Maybe after some time when they are at peace with what happened they find that they have other more important things on their to-do list. 

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

mystical1707

ALK Member

Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 9:04am

That makes sense Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.