Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Emanuel Swedenborg's revelations (Read 42822 times)
I Am Dude

Emanuel Swedenborg's revelations
Mar 6th, 2017 at 10:09pm

I'd like to start a thread discussing the findings of Emanuel Swedenborg. I remember there being at least one thread centered on him about ten years ago but I am unable to located it. Being a newfound believer in the Bible, I'm looking to relate Swedenborg's out of body revelations with scripture and also with what modern explorers have discovered since then.

I know that Don is particularly knowledgeable on the subject, so hopefully he can contribute.

Here is a link to one of his more fascinating books if anyone cares to do some research for the discussion: http://www.swedenborg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/swedenborg_foundation_heave...

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Re: Emanuel Swedenborg's revelations
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 12:47pm

One interesting aspect of Swedenborg's experiences is that he claims to have had elaborate conversations with angels, some which apparently lasted for long spans of time, during his normal waking life. This is something I'd like to learn more about.

One question that comes to mind in this regard is how he was able to discern whether these beings were Godly angels rather than deceptive spirits.

I plan on reading all of his works on his spiritual revelations, but I'd also be interested in hearing what others know about it.

Alan, I'd appreciate if you did not contribute any further to this thread. Doesn't seem like you'd take it in the direction I intend for it to go.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 6:07pm

I remember reading once where he said that a being like Michael is a collection of souls that do that type of work, rather than a particular angel.

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 7:18pm

I read Heaven and Hell, and found it to be impressive, but also much of what he wrote felt "true" to me.  The stages of man/woman after death, initially where the ego is still attached, then the fading of the memory of the physical world and the "second stage" where the person pursued their true loves, without the need to pretend or wear a mask as people do in the real world.   It is often said that spirits of a similar mindset gravitate toward a similar afterlife plane, without being condemned there.  Yet who would willingly choose a hellish plane?  Well, according to ES, those who turn away from God (that which is true, and which is good) do so again in the second stage of death, when they don't have to pretend to be something else.  So if they enjoyed hurting others, or getting their ego stroked, etc., they sought out others who felt the same way.  From ES's point of view, these spirits turned away from God/heaven and willingly flung themselves into a hell, not out of atonement or a punishment, but it is where they truly wanted to be. 

On reading and rereading some text, I found that ES wanted to take the bible so literally, that he had to make up a spiritual meaning or equivalent for literally every word in the NT and old T.  Some of his spiritual meanings were beautiful, and others appeared forced.  He reasoned that if the text were divinely inspired, than every word must have a spiritual meaning. 

Keep in mind, ES had a brilliant mind, as a scientist, and scholar.  In some ways, he was on par with Davinci, and other geniuses in terms of his intelligence. 

His paranormal documented experiences (knowing that a fire was burning on the other side of Europe, and his relating conversations from the deceased back with accuracy) was  fascinating to say the least. 

Also, keep in mind that much of ES's experiences in heaven went against church doctrine at the time.  So much so that many considered his expositions to be heretical. 

I believe that much of what he wrote about was a cosmology which made sense/rang true.  But some of the writings strike me as an attempt to perfectly match scripture to spirit and so I am forced to wonder how much of his writings is his genuine experience, and how much was his amazing intellect extrapolating the way he thought things should be?

M

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

ALK Member

Johannesburg South Africa
Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 7:20pm

Not such an active thread, but then I have been commanded not to contribute, by our member that is never in his body!  Roll Eyes  Cry

The truth remains the truth, no matter what we think the truth is, the truth is the truth regardless

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 8:36am

DocM wrote on Mar 12th, 2017 at 7:18pm:
I am forced to wonder how much of his writings is his genuine experience, and how much was his amazing intellect extrapolating the way he thought things should be?

M

Ten years ago I doubted everything he wrote because of my aversion to religion. Now I see things quite differently.

What strikes me is the frequency of his mystical experiences. Even when he wasn't "out of body," a good amount of the time a portion of his consciousness was exploring spiritual reality, like an OBE while still in the body, or aware of angels conversing with him. I think he received so much experience and information through these experiences, there was probably little room for him to invent things. I do think that his religious belief system had some influence on his experience, possibly limiting it in some areas and expanding it in others, as well as influencing his interpretation to an extent. Regarding his language, I feel he used the language he knew but in a more expanded way, going beyond the common meanings of otherwise strictly religious words and bridging the gap between fundamental interpretations and the more expanded spiritual understanding that he attained.

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 1:25pm

I believe it is important to remember that the beings of love and light that exist aren't a bunch of dummies, so they need to present information to people in ways that people will be able to accept and comprehend. In Emanuel's time both he and the beings he worked with would have to be really careful with what he said. It could be that he played a role in getting some people to forget about an eternal fire filled hell that people supposedly get punished with.

Dude, why are you viewing things differently now? Sorry to say this, sometimes it seems as if you go to extremes with the approaches you take. For a while you were interested in Buddhism. Perhaps somewhat of a middle way is needed. Wink

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 3:23pm

Hi Vince,

I read Heaven and Hell several years ago when Don was discussing Swedenborg, as well as a book recommended by Don, "The Presence of Other Worlds" by psychologist, Wilson Van Dusen, which I also recommend along with Van Dusen's "The Natural Depth in Man" and "Beauty, Wonder, and the Mystical Mind" if anyone's interested.  Van Dusen wrote extensively on ES and presents his work from both a mystical and psychological perspective that I found fascinating. 

Quote:
"One interesting aspect of Swedenborg's experiences is that he claims to have had elaborate conversations with angels, some which apparently lasted for long spans of time, during his normal waking life. This is something I'd like to learn more about."

Quote:
"I remember reading once where he said that a being like Michael is a collection of souls that do that type of work, rather than a particular angel."

Considering that we are never not connected to our source, and that we are a part of the whole of consciousness, I think it is neither surprising, nor unusual for us to have the ability to communicate with the non-physical realms on a regular basis while remaining in a normal waking state of consciousness.  What we do is essentially split our awareness while in a very relaxed state where our brain frequencies range from Alpha to Theta.  I also think we are all a collection of souls (or soul consciousness) performing individualized work as collective groups where the group consciousness appears as a singularity, such as ES's perception of Michael.

We all have individualized beliefs and bias that dictates the ways in which we think, feel and act.  I'm sure ES was no exception.  It's good to be skeptical, yet open minded enough to learn new things, but if we simply adopt someone else's experience as ultimate truth, we are only creating yet another belief system rather than discerning our own truth from our own experience.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 8:40am

Recoverer 2 wrote on Mar 13th, 2017 at 1:25pm:
Dude, why are you viewing things differently now? Sorry to say this, sometimes it seems as if you go to extremes with the approaches you take. For a while you were interested in Buddhism. Perhaps somewhat of a middle way is needed. Wink

Ironically, Buddhism teaches the middle way.

I feel your view that I have extreme approaches may come from a lack of a comprehensive understanding, but we can let it go. I don't want to divert this thread to being about me, but I'll entertain your initial question anyway.

I came to realize that I had been conditioned to reject religion and the Bible in particular. This was especially true when I got into the new age philosophy and lifestyle. But recently I began to see that almost everything I have been researching for my entire adult life, particularly spiritual philosophy, spiritual experiences, religions, conspiracies (many different realms within conspiracy culture which interconnected and pointed to the same conclusion) and alternative/paranormal experiences and perspectives all supported the teachings of the Bible in some unique and intriguing way. Personal contemplation and meditation from a more open perspective led to some pretty powerful experiences.

Back on topic, it seems the religious doctrine of hell is not actually what is taught in the Bible, but is a distortion of original scripture. Thus Swedenborg did a great service by detracting people from that fear-based belief.

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 10:59am

Dude, thank you for the explanation.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 12:57pm

I found Don's old thread on Swedenborg if anyone is interested. http://afterlife-knowledge.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1124309116/0

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 7:16pm

Hey dude,

I'd be interested to know if your interest in the bible is with both the old and new testaments.  See, ES felt that both were divine works, and that every line had spiritual meaning.  I could definitely relate to that from the gospels, but the OT has long passages of stories which, however useful seem more informational.  This person begat that person and lived 130 years, etc.   ES meticulously went through scripture, often in hebrew or aramaic, and assigned a spiritual meaning to each sentence.  An incredible tour de force for sure. 

The gospels of the NT are very much in line with most New Age thought.  The two greatest laws are to love God and love your neighbor as yourself.  Much of the lessons in the NT are based in love, acceptance, acting selflessly, moving mountains by deep belief, etc.

M

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 9:35pm

DocM wrote on Mar 15th, 2017 at 7:16pm:
Hey dude,

I'd be interested to know if your interest in the bible is with both the old and new testaments.  See, ES felt that both were divine works, and that every line had spiritual meaning.  I could definitely relate to that from the gospels, but the OT has long passages of stories which, however useful seem more informational.  This person begat that person and lived 130 years, etc.   ES meticulously went through scripture, often in hebrew or aramaic, and assigned a spiritual meaning to each sentence.  An incredible tour de force for sure. 

The gospels of the NT are very much in line with most New Age thought.  The two greatest laws are to love God and love your neighbor as yourself.  Much of the lessons in the NT are based in love, acceptance, acting selflessly, moving mountains by deep belief, etc.

M

I am currently studying both the OT and the NT, as I believe both are equally the word of YHWH. I find a lot of the history in the OT very fascinating. I am aware of one of ES's works where he interprets the book of Genesis, and I will get around to reading it eventually, although I am currently working on a literal analysis of scripture without adding anything to it.

The aspects of New Age belief you mentioned definitely sync with Yeshua's message, although there is also a lot in NA that goes against Biblical teachings and in general I see it as more of a deceptive force than anything else.

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 12:29pm

Dude:

Yes deceptive beings exist, remember though, it is possible to find out about God's truth without fear interfering with the inquiry.

There are some new-age like sources that go overboard with their anti-bible business.  This is one extreme. Another extreme is being afraid to question some of the things the Bible says.

A while back you mentioned that you found some negative things with channeled source. Would you be interested in sharing some of what you learned?

I Am Dude wrote on Mar 16th, 2017 at 9:35pm:
DocM wrote on Mar 15th, 2017 at 7:16pm:
Hey dude,

M

I am currently studying both the OT and the NT, as I believe both are equally the word of YHWH. I find a lot of the history in the OT very fascinating. I am aware of one of ES's works where he interprets the book of Genesis, and I will get around to reading it eventually, although I am currently working on a literal analysis of scripture without adding anything to it.

The aspects of New Age belief you mentioned definitely sync with Yeshua's message, although there is also a lot in NA that goes against Biblical teachings and in general I see it as more of a deceptive force than anything else.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 1:44pm

Recoverer 2 wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 12:29pm:
Dude:

Yes deceptive beings exist, remember though, it is possible to find out about God's truth without fear interfering with the inquiry.

I'm not approaching it with fear, but rather discernment in being aware of potential deception.

Quote:
There are some new-age like sources that go overboard with their anti-bible business.  This is one extreme. Another extreme is being afraid to question some of the things the Bible says.

Right. I realized Christ was truth before I believed the Bible was, and this was mainly because I had doubts about the Bible regarding certain alleged contradictions and other negative things written in it which I had not completely understood or which had been taken out of context. I'm currently doing in depth research into these issues I had with the Bible and pleasantly finding that my preconceived notions were largely false.

Quote:
A while back you mentioned that you found some negative things with channeled source. Would you be interested in sharing some of what you learned?

I can't say I remember exactly what you're referring to, but in general, I believe it is a real possibility that many channeled works come from demonic entities masquerading as beings of love and light. Although a few particular channels come to mind now.

One is Seth. I now believe that you were right in your assessment that he was deceptive in his degradation of Yeshua in his work. Drawing people in with complex theories of reality and throwing in a grand deception.

Another is Bashar. He claims to be an extraterrestrial who has made several prophecies regarding ET contact which have not come to pass.

Another is Paul Selig. In general his message is great but he has people constantly chant "I am Word." I know that Yeshua is considered to be the word of YHWH in the Bible, so I'm thinking that perhaps this is a way to get people to commit blasphemy. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.