Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
One Mind: The Spirituality of Premonitions (Read 17683 times)
Berserk2

One Mind: The Spirituality of Premonitions
Jan 27th, 2017 at 2:20am

Premonition research needs to be discussed against the background of the concept of "One Mind," the title of Larry Dossey's latest book.  See this interview in which Dossey explains the basis of this revolutionary idea:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=larry+dossey+one+mind+youtube&&view=detail&m...

With that interview as background, let's turn to the subject of this thread which is discussed in Dossey's prior book:

"THE SCIENCE OF PREMONITIONS:" A Book by Dr. Larry Dossey:

By "science," Dossey has in mind replicable lab experiments that confirm compelling anecdotal cases and suggest that we all potentially have this ability, an ability which can be transformed into a gift of the Holy Spirit, when it is used to edify Christians for God's glory. In the 2nd post of my thread on Speaking in Tongues and Spirit Baptism, I describe the electrifying experience that seems to have activated by potential to have regular premonitions. See the intriguing Dossey interview below:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...3D3569D21757F924BBFD3D3569D21757F92&FORM=V...

For me, the real "scientific" question here is this: When do mere "coincidences" become so improbable that it becomes reasonable to invoke paranormal causal agency apart from the space/ time continuum. For this thread I will initially focus on my own frequent experiences of premonitions. I invite readers to discuss these testimonies and post their own experiences with this phenomena. In my view, the premonitions I'll share establish the existence of a spiritual dimension. Here is my first premonitory experience:
(1) At age 19, I was a Winnipeg college student. About 5 years my senior, my friend Dallas was the leader of our church youth group of about 150. I had just been Best Man at his wedding and was now invited to the newlyweds post-Christmas dinner. After eating, we played table tennis in their basement. Dallas mentioned that he was going deer hunting in northern Manitoba the next day and I instantly felt a sense of dread. It seemed as if I saw his skeleton and was certain that he would be killed in an accident if he went on this trip. Horrified, I felt compelled to share my premonition with him. He was offended and blamed my so-called premonition on my anti-hunting views. I had no such views, though I've never gone hunting myself. What could I do? I had no evidence beyond my certainty. I guess I hoped God would confirm my premonition to Dallas.

A few days later, we had a New Year's Eve service at our church. What happened when I arrived at the church was straight out of a horror movie. 3 young girls in our youth group approached me, giggling, and said. You do know that Dallas was killed yesterday in a hunting accident. He was riding a snowmobile with his gun placed near him and hit a bump. The resulting jolt caused his rifle to discharge into his shoulder. He bled to death before his hunting buddies got him to a doctor. The girls giggled and one said to the other, "Wow, I guess we sure ruined his day!" It was as if Hell was taunting me for my friendship with Dallas! What was so funny about their youth leader's death? I charitably assumed that their was just a nervous laughter. I later obsessed over what this tragedy meant. Why was I given this premonition if it would be useless to prevent his death? And was his death predestined fate?

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Re: One Mind: The Spirituality of Premonitions
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:38pm

Don- I haven't yet seen the vids, but an incident relayed by my mother's nephew years ago adds to the discussion. He was a solid no nonsense guy, a border patrol agent in update NY near Canadian border.

One day, as he was relaxing on his front porch watching the passing scene, things suddenly changed. People were dressed in early 20th century clothes, horses and buggies replaced the cars, and he could hear the noise from wagon wheels traversing the cobblestone road. Pungent odors from the horse waste assaulted his nose. It was as real as can be.

Then, just as suddenly, things returned to normal.

So...maybe time is not only not sequential but simultaneous. Somehow the veil was temporarily lifted. So the hunting accident possibly already happened when you had the vision.

We know so little. Virtually anything is possible. Recall your Leonard story!

R

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 5:02pm

Don-

Another thought about premonitions. There are countless stories about people who change travel plans  (as just one example) based on a premonition and subsequently learn that the plane they intended to take crashed with no survivors. Or stories from 9/11 where someone had a bad feeling about going to work that day and called in sick.

Almost invariably they consider it to be a warning from God or a guardian angel or the like. And they conclude, to use a well worn expression, that "God must have plans for me".

On the other hand more than 3000 people were killed on 9/11.
Does that mean that the balance of their lives were somehow all that unimportant or less important? Does God play favorites? If God is given thanks for these premonitions, does that mean He should be blamed for ignoring the victims? Or maybe He did and they didn't pick up on it?

I'm not sure about the spirituality of these phenomena. Maybe so, but maybe there's something else at work. Some sort of protocol we just can't grasp.

My own life was saved when I was a young boy but I am quite sure it wasn't because I was singled out over all the kids who were killed in car accidents or by other causes. For me it remains a mystery.

R

IP Logged

2bets

ALK Member

SE USA
Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 7:06pm

Hello theDonald,

It seems like your late friend Dallas had his own intent to go hunting and used his own will power to ignore your warning.
If so, his future was not predetermined. He could have heeded the warning.

(I used to get angry when I'd realize I'd missed a brief, last-minute clue like that. 'Why couldn't It give me a bigger/earlier clue?!" I'd fume. But such a hint or warning is the best way to measure whether one is able to accept the truth behind it, that Truth comes from a caring source.)

I agree that giggling is more a nervous response, usually to new issues, like death, that we've not had to face previously. It's unfortunate. Maybe it's a reminder that we have to civilize our physical nature? 

Bets

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 8:19pm

Don, I think we all have a propensity to give meaning to our experiences and the denotations we give come from our beliefs.  For example, most people feel a premonition is received as a message from God or other being as an indication that some kind of action is required, but that's not necessarily true.  Sometimes, perhaps most of the time, what we call a premonition is nothing more than knowing something before it happens.  It doesn't always mean it can be prevented from happening, nor does it mean we need to try to prevent something from happening.

When attending a birthday party I had a premonition (knew) that a woman I'd just met would within a month be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and that she would die within a few months.  If I'd walked up to her and said something to her she would have thought I was not only nuts, but intrusive.  And at that stage it wouldn't have changed a thing anyway.  There was no reason for me to know this, yet I did.  Sometimes we just know things and it really is just as simple as that.

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

vikingsgal

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Northern Illinois
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 5:15pm

Hi Don,
I hope 2017 is proving to be a year of happiness and
growth for you. 

I was interested in your idea about premonitions and
spirituality.  I have not had any remarkable premonitions, but my late husband did.  He was a truly
spiritual person who saved many person's lives starting when he was a little boy of about 4.  He told
me, before we were married, that his primary goal in
life was to be a saint.

Frankly, it frequently seemed that evil was after him,
perhaps because he was such a truly kind person who
was always motivated by goodness.

IP Logged

SourceLover
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 9:37pm

I also don't understand what was up with those girls. It almost sounds like they were temporarily possessed, or they felt like they had a hand in his death (maybe they were experimenting with hexes or the like?).  Either way, a very, very odd reaction. 

The future is not fixed, and most of us have at least a couple various probable exit points at different times and of different causes. 

Over the years my spouse has had a number of dreams which indicated that I would die fairly young (one dream mentioned in my mid 40's). Both of us have had a lot of precognitive dreams, and can usually tell the more symbolic ones apart from the more literal, precognitive ones.  These dreams of her seem to be a way for her Expanded self to prepare her emotionally for my probable early death. 

Yet, the last dream that she had related to this theme seemed to indicate that things were not necessarily set in stone.  In the dream, we were on a spaceship with another person, an accident happened and to survive, we had to put on helmets/suits to survive.  The group was one helmet short, and I voluntarily gave it up though we knew it meant I would die. She was very upset, and became angry, and kicked the ship. When she did that, an unnoticed compartment opened up with an extra helmet, which meant that I would live after all. 

There could be other meanings to the dream, but it seemed to be speaking to the whole, probable early death thing, as it comes up once in awhile between us. If so, it could be saying that it doesn't necessarily have to take place. Personally speaking, except for leaving my spouse and our future children behind, I have no problem at all with dying young. 

IP Logged

SourceLover
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 10:17pm

Quote:
Frankly, it frequently seemed that evil was after him,
perhaps because he was such a truly kind person who
was always motivated by goodness.

Many folks here don't like to talk or hear about such things as the above, it seems, but yes, the above is true.  If a person starts to radiate a certain amount and degree of Light and are of holistic help to others, hindering beings will start to focus on them.

And I don't mean your average meanie nonphysical, like a former human psychopath--the kind that commonly bother alcoholics, drug addicts, or folks like Howard Storm in OBE state, etc.  I mean ancient psychopaths that are much more collective and thus much stronger in effect, because they are part of a group. 

For such individuals, it helps to consciously ask the Creator and the Co-Creators for help, protection, and guidance.  The being called Arch Angel Michael is particularly focused on providing this kind of protective help and shielding. 

Anyways, suffice it to say, I'm speaking from both experience and intuition. At one point, I came very close to leaving this earth seemingly at my own hand, because the above were constantly pushing that into my psyche.  It's a minor miracle that I'm still here. 

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 7:43am

Yes Justin. Don't know if you have read The Screwtape Letters but E. S. Lewis understood this, including the mechanics.

R

IP Logged

SourceLover
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 12:12am

No, I haven't read that book by C.S. Lewis, but thank you for the heads up Rondele--may check it out at some point. 

Sometimes I wonder why there is so much resistance to the notion/idea that there are hindering forces involved with this world? 

Or why some folks are open minded to that, but not to the idea of a negative Reptilian ET group, when both the OT and NT of the Bible make a number of references to negative and deceptive serpents and dragons?  The Dead Sea Scrolls have extra references to these and some in a more clear, straightforward manner, such as the Testament of Amram:

"Manuscript B
Fragment 1
(9) [... 1 saw Watchers]
(10) in my vision, the dream-vision. Two .... were fighting over me, saying ...
(11) and holding a great contest over me. I asked them, ‘Who are you, that you are thus empo[wered over me?’ They answered me, ‘We]
(12) [have been em]powered and rule over all mankind.’ They said to me, ‘Which of us do yo[u choose to rule (you)?’ I raised my eyes and looked.]
(13) [One] of them was terr[i]fying in his appearance, [like a serpent, [his] cl[oa]k many-colored yet very dark...
(14) [And I looked again], and ... in his appearance, his visage like a viper, and [wearing ...]
15) [exceedingly, and all his eyes ...]

Fragment 2
(1) [... em]powered over you ...
(2) [I replied to him,] ‘This [Watcher,] who is he?’ He answered me, ‘This Wa[tcher ...]
(3) [and his three names are Belial and Prince of Darkness] and King of Evil.’ I said, ‘My lord, what dom[inion ...?’]
(4) [’and his every way is darkened, his every work da[rk]ened. In Darkness he ...
(5) [Yo]u saw, and he is empowered over all Darkness, while I [am empowered over all light.]
(6) [... from] the highest regions to the lowest I rule over all Light, and over al[1 that is of God. I rule over (every) man]

Fragment 3
(1) [of His grace and peace. Over all the sons of Lig]ht have] I been empowered.’ I asked him, [What are your names ... ?’]
(2) He [s]aid to me, ‘[My] three names are [Michael and Prince of Light and King of Righteousness.’]"

The very interesting thing about the above..  Is before the Dead Sea Scrolls were even discovered, Cayce's guidance made a reference to hindering forces trying to influence Moses, and that Michael fought same.  They said, "(A) For there has been the continued battle with those forces as Michael fought WITH over the body of Moses. He that leads, or WOULD direct, is continually beset by the forces that WOULD undermine. He that endureth to the end shall wear the Crown." Excerpted from Reading 2897-4

Why is this interesting in light of that Dead Sea Scroll manuscript?  Because Amram was the name of Mose's father.  Hence, both Cayce's guidance and the Dead Sea Scrolls most likely are referring to the same incident.  A psychic battle between the positive, from the Light Watcher Michael and the negative Watcher with the face like that of a viper. 

Yet, for some reason, some have belittled and even made light of such information as Reptilians, even those who seem to look to the Bible. 

In any case, both my spouse and I have had some interesting experiences and messages having to do with Michael. She had a very vivid dream where she saw her guides as cows and Michael as a bull, and then a negative, but powerful entity as a young bull tried to get to her.  This being was powerful enough that at one point in this battle, both her guides and Michael had to work together to subdue and turn this negative, attacking entity away. 

As usual, she was not conscious of the above information that I just shared, as she is less focused on this stuff than I am.  Yet, she receives messages fairly often. 

My experience was that at one point when I felt like I was being psychically attacked (around the time I was involved with ACIM or had just dropped it), I specifically asked Michael for help.  Years later, during a reading with Linn, she picked up that I had asked a powerful Michael for help and that he has helped me.  The extra verification was, I had been thinking about Michael just a day before the reading, when I hadn't thought about him in awhile. 

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, especially when ET's get involved. 

IP Logged

SourceLover
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 12:42am

I decided to erase my last two posts--too off topic to the thread. 

An edit to correct some info in the above post (I wasn't able to edit the above post directly anymore).  The NT does also mention the above incident as well, in Jude 1:9. Hence, it's not necessarily a confirmation or verification between the Dead Sea Scrolls and Cayce's info. 
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2017 at 10:21pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 4:53pm

Don:

Regarding speaking in tongue, it seems to me that the Book of Acts states that people were given the ability to speak in tongue so they could share Jesus' teachings with people who spoke differing languages, not so they could do as some modern day speaking in tongue people do.

I've watched videos of people speaking in tongue, and what they experience doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I experience when I experience divine love (very alive, yet very peaceful). What they experience seems to be frenzied, lacking in control and not peaceful, like the peace that surpasses all understanding.

Several years ago you said that some of the people who engage in speaking in tongue too much get possessed. In my experience, divine love has no connection to getting possessed.

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 8:17pm

Berserk is back--but as The Donald!   In my most recent attempts to return and post, I received a form spoofing warning and a virus.  Bruce reregistered me under this name, but I got another form spoofing warning.   And the whole site looked different.  Recently I was delighted to get an E-mail from Rondele, Kathy, and Matthew that has prompted me to give it another try.  So far so good.

I will continue posting on this thread and will also start new ones that reflect my current thinking and recent paranormal experiences.  I'm particularly interested on how oldtime posters have changed their minds over the years. 

I moved to northeast Washington from Buffalo in 2007 to pastor a United Methodist church and be closer to my elderly parents in Kelowna, BC.  But in the past 3 years, both parents passed, and that removed my main reason for living here (Colville).  I retired in July, 2015, but after much thought, I've decided to stay here in Colville.  I would have responded to those e-mails sooner, but I've been asked by troubled strangers to performs memorial services for loved ones, and I find that and accompanying sessions exhausting but very rewarding, including the inevitable spectacular paranormal experiences that attend the deaths.

One of my major beefs against Trump (The Donald) is that he trivializes all us minor Donalds as just "a Donald."  So I decided to rebel and post on various game sites as "The Donald."  To my great surprise and delight, some came to believe that I was actually Trump!  Being a practical joker, I began to channel Trump, using repetitious phrases and overusing trademark words like "great" "beautiful," and "tremendous."  Other posts caught the joke and joined in the ruse, thus persuading more gullible posters.  Of course, this meant I also got hate posts for Trump's many missteps, but I valiantly defended the indefensible to get more "fans."  For example, I remarked how delighted Melania was with the expansive White House bathrooms, and other women began discussing their efforts to get their husbands to remodel their own bathrooms.  Anyway, on this site, I will trot out the more serious me and hopefully renew acquaintances with old friends. 

I'm delighted that Dude has posted a thread on my flawed hero, Swedenborg, and I will diligently try to track down my old thread.  The only thing I have against Dude is that he once started the only thread that is longer than my ES thread.   Cry
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2017 at 1:11am by TheDonald »  

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 8:20pm

Hah, hah, on that "The Donald" business. Grin

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 10:16pm

Well, we finally coerced Don to return! Welcome back. I was thinking of you when I read this post from seagull. I would add a long time question of my own- yes, Jesus died for us. But since Jesus knew that he would return to heaven, doesn't that diminish the sacrifice?

Anyway here is seagull's post:

Re: Emanuel Swedenborg

"I have to say, I looked at some of the links, Dude. I got to the animal sacrifice links while clicking on your suggestions randomly. I was so repulsed by the content that I thought, oh, that's why I don't read the Bible. Then, I saw all the content regarding Jesus being the sacrifice for our sins and I realized that it was equally repulsive to me for the simple reason that any God that required or approved of such a thing follows no logic I can comprehend. But, that's just me".      

Your response appreciated. And I'm sure it will be the most beautiful, elegant and magnificent response ever posted on the ak forum since, after all, you are The Donald, and our expectations are high!

R

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.