Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What If? (Read 6684 times)
rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
What If?
May 23rd, 2016 at 1:20pm

What if you knew, unequivocally, that there is no afterlife?  How would it affect your life?  In what ways?  Would you accept it and move on, would you be disappointed or worse, maybe full blown depression?  Would it have any affect on your relationships with others and if so, how?

Mind you, I'm not saying the afterlife does not exist. So please, no arguments in its favor.  Just for the purposes of this request, accept the premise.  I've asked myself this question and the thought of never seeing my deceased loved ones would be crushing.

I would like to think I could eventually lead an otherwise normal life, helping others when I could, enjoying the pleasures this life does provide, and being grateful for being born in the first place.  But if confronted with such news, truthfully I can't be sure how I would react.

Comments?

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Re: What If?
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2016 at 3:34pm

To me it would mean that there is no possibility that those people and other creatures who have suffered most in life throughout existence can be compensated. If there is no afterlife then I would feel that life, in general, is cruel and unfair.

I could live with it, in the sense that I think I may have contributed some good to the world along the way despite some awful mistakes -- and my life has been, despite its misfortunes, much better than that of many.

I have purpose and meaning in my life, and that would not change for now. I would continue to have hope that the lives of people and creatures on the earth could be improved for at least some.

But, basically, it gives me a feeling of futility to think that there might be no afterlife. I find the thought that there may be more wonders to experience a hopeful one, and not just for myself.

As difficult as it presently is for me to reconcile the things I do not know about an afterlife which may exist for all of us, it is even more difficult to imagine that all of life is just some strange accident with no real purpose whatsoever in the long run.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2016 at 5:12pm

I think its an interesting but theoretical question since I know of no way to definitively disprove the afterlife. I suspect many people would continue to act just as they are doing now - accruing material possessions, trying to have a good time while they can and generally occupying themselves with activity so they don't have to think about it too hard.Personally I don't think my outward behavior would change much but inside I would feel a deep sadness about the pointlessness of it all.

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2016 at 7:57pm

Yes, it is theoretical.

I know that it is assumed, for the sake of the topic, that there is no afterlife, but it is only because I am very humble that I admit that it is a possibility. I have read countless accounts of the evidence of an afterlife. I have also experienced my own encounters to a reasonable extent, so much so that I do believe I have been in contact with the deceased. I have also experienced many situations which do not appear to be accidental, which lead me to believe in a purposeful universe. For whatever that's worth.

But, it is essential to remain humble, and to acknowledge that one's perspective is not so vast and so perfect that one cannot be mistaken. So, for the sake of the question, I entertain my doubts.

But, I have less and less, as the years go on.

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2016 at 8:12pm

Good thread, Roger.

I can only speak for myself.  I think with introspection, anyone who examines their life will see that what they bring into their lives is a consequence of their thoughts and actions (whether they know it, believe it or not).  For me, going over the storyline then of my life, I can see it, and this "karma" is a natural give and take which is as much a real "law" as is the law of gravity.  It is something we are supposed to figure out.  The decision to act in a loving manner to others then makes all the more sense if we see that we live better lives and are more happy and grounded if we act out of love.  Most people who cling to material things because "nothing matters," treat others without love, and so they move from one quick thrill to the next.  But the grass always seems greener somewhere else, and there is no lasting happiness or peace for them.  It takes some folk a while to understand that they give and get more love and satisfaction serving others in a selfless way, being part of something bigger than themselves.

So to answer your question, I believe for me, and some others, the afterlife doesn't enter into it, if you can see the effect your thoughts and actions have on your own world and on other people.  With enough introspection, we see that the golden rule is the only way to be.  Afterlife or not.

Matthew

IP Logged

Gman

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2016 at 10:43pm

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2016 at 11:12pm

Eloquently stated Matthew!

If our life has meaning and purpose, we find fulfillment.

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Chrisagain

ALK Member

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2016 at 12:00am

In case of no afterlife, I would think that this life is really monstrously unfair. Something I have trouble accepting. Also, i find the idea of eternal nonexsistence very frightening.

However, I know a great many atheists for whom this is not a problem at all.

The feeling of "no afterlife", however, at least for me would reinforce the human frailty and the preciousness of love and friendship in this life. To me, no afterlife would mean no time out of this life to bring some good to others which I believe should be a powerful incentive to do as much good to others as you can.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2016 at 10:23am by Chrisagain »  

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #8 - May 24th, 2016 at 1:46am

It shows the rich variety of humanity that some people might use an atheistic non-belief to see human life as more precious and thus help others more while unbelieving hedonists could take an approach of 'we are basically selfish animals' so get your share while you can. Also many people with a deep belief in the afterlife have been monstrous to others- in Europe in the 16th century there were Catholics who thought that burning heretics was a form of soul cleansing for the unfortunate for example. On the other hand many devoted Catholics have helped the most desperate of society (so called untouchables) seeing them all as precious souls under God's care.Humanity, endlessly fascinating.

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Reply #9 - May 24th, 2016 at 9:48am

Gman- Great video, should be seen by everyone.  Would make a perfect graduation speech.

Matthew- Well said!

Interesting that most of the various admonitions Jesus gives are not linked as necessary for the afterlife.  They are not phrased as means to an end, but as ends in themselves.

R

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #10 - May 24th, 2016 at 1:42pm

In some ways, thinking it over, knowing there is or isn't an afterlife shouldn't really change our behavior here with others.  However we act it, should be based on genuine convictions and morals.  If by knowing we are eternal we would then only act lovingly to avoid a punishment, it is just a pretense and is, dishonest.  If, on the other hand we act lovingly toward others because we choose to without fear of punishment, in most situations, then there is a genuine feeling associated with that.  Acting only to avoid punishment is a cowards way out.

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 24th, 2016 at 3:32pm

Motivations aside, a loving act is a loving act.

There is the saying, fake it until you make it.

If a person practices doing kind things they may find that life is more pleasurable that way.

Even with some pretense, a kindness received beats the alternative.

I must sound like a fortune cookie writer... Smiley

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

ALK Member

Johannesburg South Africa
Reply #12 - May 24th, 2016 at 4:43pm

rondele wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 1:20pm:
What if you knew, unequivocally, that there is no afterlife?  How would it affect your life?  In what ways?  Would you accept it and move on, would you be disappointed or worse, maybe full blown depression?  Would it have any affect on your relationships with others and if so, how?

Mind you, I'm not saying the afterlife does not exist. So please, no arguments in its favor.  Just for the purposes of this request, accept the premise.  I've asked myself this question and the thought of never seeing my deceased loved ones would be crushing.

I would like to think I could eventually lead an otherwise normal life, helping others when I could, enjoying the pleasures this life does provide, and being grateful for being born in the first place.  But if confronted with such news, truthfully I can't be sure how I would react.

Comments?

Hi R    If there were no afterlife it  would not really make any difference to me   because before I was born into this world I knew nothing    and had not existed back into the infinite past of eternity.

In other words    I was dead without a consciousness or self awareness, no life just nothingness,  before birth and exactly the same after death.

But between the two events   I have had a happy life, created a great and loving family     and left behind a positive legacy.

I can face death and die, without regret or fear,   even if I cease to exist after death,   how can that frighten anyone, because "the dead know nothing, as some religions suggest? 

The truth remains the truth, no matter what we think the truth is, the truth is the truth regardless

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #13 - May 25th, 2016 at 1:26am

Additionally we tend to think of life after death as the comforting option. But for some people it's not.Whether its a fear of having to account for actions performed here later, the thought of having a time of eternal idleness (picture fluffy clouds and harps) or being reborn as an undesirable or even lowly creature there are plenty of reasons why permanent extinction might be the more pleasing thought to some...

IP Logged

Gman

Reply #14 - May 25th, 2016 at 11:06pm

rondele wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 9:48am:
Gman- Great video, should be seen by everyone.  Would make a perfect graduation speech.

Matthew- Well said!

Interesting that most of the various admonitions Jesus gives are not linked as necessary for the afterlife.  They are not phrased as means to an end, but as ends in themselves.

R

Many Thanks for your post/comments, about my post and video link!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.