Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Do we really have a free will? (Read 8603 times)
Andrew

Contributor

USA
Re: Do we really have a free will?
Reply #15 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 1:41am

Alan McDougall wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 4:02am:
Do we really have a free will?

Some scientist say no, the Christian religion says yes, some philosophers say yes, and other say no.

Are our futures determined by free will or is our whole existence controlled by the universe or some supreme being?

What do you say?

Alan

Hi Everyone!

My reply is a tad bit late, but I'd like to offer my two cents!

The afterlife literature suggests that the earth is essentially a school for us. Perhaps a better analogy would be a gym. One goes to the gym in order to challenge one's muscles and force them to become more developed; in regular life, the body simply doesn't encounter enough resistance to become muscular. The same is true for our spiritual muscles--when we are discarnate and living in the Summerland, it is much more difficult to make spiritual progress because there is no lack or suffering there; it's easy to be kind and to love unconditionally when one lives a perfect life. So, we incarnate in order to strengthen our spiritual muscles. Like an afternoon at the gym, it is painful at times, but also incredibly rewarding.

Free will is paramount to this process. If we did not have the choice to act either spiritually or selfishly, then there would be no point in incarnating. It does seem that each of us creates a life plan before incarnating; it's a suggested roadmap for the lifetime ahead. Certain lessons are planned into the lifetime, and certain goals are made in terms of spiritual growth. But ultimately, we have the choice to disregard that plan altogether once we are here. The future is not at all determined by the plans we've made. In fact, we often work with our guides to edit our life plans during our incarnations based on the progress we have made.

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #16 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 11:29am

Hello Andrew:

You made some good points.

Albert

IP Logged

Gman

Reply #17 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 1:03am

Andrew wrote on Jun 4th, 2016 at 1:41am:
Alan McDougall wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 4:02am:
Do we really have a free will?

Some scientist say no, the Christian religion says yes, some philosophers say yes, and other say no.

Are our futures determined by free will or is our whole existence controlled by the universe or some supreme being?

What do you say?

Alan

Hi Everyone!

My reply is a tad bit late, but I'd like to offer my two cents!

The afterlife literature suggests that the earth is essentially a school for us. Perhaps a better analogy would be a gym. One goes to the gym in order to challenge one's muscles and force them to become more developed; in regular life, the body simply doesn't encounter enough resistance to become muscular. The same is true for our spiritual muscles--when we are discarnate and living in the Summerland, it is much more difficult to make spiritual progress because there is no lack or suffering there; it's easy to be kind and to love unconditionally when one lives a perfect life. So, we incarnate in order to strengthen our spiritual muscles. Like an afternoon at the gym, it is painful at times, but also incredibly rewarding.

Free will is paramount to this process. If we did not have the choice to act either spiritually or selfishly, then there would be no point in incarnating. It does seem that each of us creates a life plan before incarnating; it's a suggested roadmap for the lifetime ahead. Certain lessons are planned into the lifetime, and certain goals are made in terms of spiritual growth. But ultimately, we have the choice to disregard that plan altogether once we are here. The future is not at all determined by the plans we've made. In fact, we often work with our guides to edit our life plans during our incarnations based on the progress we have made.

Excellent Post!!! Agreed!...Don't get sucked into this forums posting-members, "Chosen Enlightened Few", who are nothing like the speculative posts they write about in their posts...Gman

IP Logged

Andrew

Contributor

USA
Reply #18 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 1:37am

Hi Gman and Recoverer,

Thanks for your comments--I'm glad that you both liked my post!

Gman, I'm not sure exactly what you meant about the "Chosen Enlightened Few." I have researched death and the afterlife quite a bit over the last six years or so, but I am certainly not an infallible authority on the matter. My posts reflect the information I have seen, but my views are always subject to change as I encounter new evidence.

It is so easy to find information on these subjects nowadays that anyone can do the research--and I encourage everyone who is interested to delve into this field! Smiley

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

ALK Member

Johannesburg South Africa
Reply #19 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 8:52am

Andrew wrote on Jun 5th, 2016 at 1:37am:
Hi Gman and Recoverer,

Gman, I'm not sure exactly what you meant about the "Chosen Enlightened Few." I have researched death and the afterlife quite a bit over the last six years or so, but I am certainly not an infallible authority on the matter. My posts reflect the information I have seen, but my views are always subject to change as I encounter new evidence.

It is so easy to find information on these subjects nowadays that anyone can do the research--and I encourage everyone who is interested to delve into this field! Smiley

I am also baffled by Gmans comment about the "Enlightened Few" and would like to know who they are?

Alan

The truth remains the truth, no matter what we think the truth is, the truth is the truth regardless

IP Logged

Gman

Reply #20 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 12:33am

Alan McDougall wrote on Jun 5th, 2016 at 8:52am:
Hi Gman and Recoverer,

I am also baffled by Gmans comment about the "Enlightened Few" and would like to know who they are?

Alan

You are the 'One', Alan!

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

ALK Member

Johannesburg South Africa
Reply #21 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 1:09am

Gman wrote on Jun 6th, 2016 at 12:33am:
Alan McDougall wrote on Jun 5th, 2016 at 8:52am:
Hi Gman and Recoverer,

Alan

You are the 'One', Alan!

Is that a negative?

The truth remains the truth, no matter what we think the truth is, the truth is the truth regardless

IP Logged

Ralph Buskey

Brick Township, NJ
Reply #22 - Jun 17th, 2016 at 12:06am

When it comes to free will, I believe it to mean free to choose a decision.
   Some may think that they are controlled by a higher self making that choice for them.
   Some may think that there is no higher self and what decision they come to in their mind was done freely.
   Some think that their destiny has made the decision and they are just compelled to carry that decision out.
   Some may choose not to decide but that in itself is also a choice.
   Some say the devil made me do it. Some say that God made me do it.
   Some say they decided for their own benefit.
   Some say they decided for someone else's benefit.
   If a person is of sober mind, then their free will choice is their own responsibility.
   If that person was drugged then was their decision still made out of free will or mindlessly made?
   Free will comes with a price; which is being held accountable for the results.

Ralph

Ralph Buskey Ralph Buskey  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.