Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spiritual Bypassing (Read 7317 times)
DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Spiritual Bypassing
May 15th, 2016 at 11:09am

Got an article of interest:
http://highexistence.com/spiritual-bypassing-how-spirituality-sabotaged-my-growt...

This topic is fascinating.  The gist of it is that sometimes, when people are focused around the ideas and philosophy of spirituality, that when things so wrong in their lives, they tend to hide from their feelings and emotions and take refuge in the ideals of spirituality.  The author of the article (and the main author of a book on the topic) give several examples, where, rather than confront a difficult experience (death of a loved one, disease, divorce, etc.) there is a deliberate suppression of the feeling with the mantra "everything is Ok."   The idea being, yes, everything is OK overall, but if we have emotions (anger, grief, etc.) we should not ignore them and hide in a numbning cloak of superior love and spirituality.  Detachment is often advised by various Eastern and spiritual groups.  Yet if we ignore emotions, they tend to fester, and it may be difficult to heal without confronting them. 

The authors feel that authentic spirituality means exploring our emotions.  Feeling the pain, anger, grief.  Not reveling in it, but experiencing it, feeling it, allowing it to be, and then (hopefully) integrating it into ourselves in order to heal.  This may take incredible honesty and the ability to be vulnerable, which is not easy.

Thoughts?

Matthew

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Re: Spiritual Bypassing
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2016 at 12:09pm

I agree.  The quote (wrongly attributed to Buddha) "pain is inevitable, suffering is optional") sounds good but I don't think is practical nor helpful.

Yes, we need to process the pain.  To suppress suffering is contrary to being human unless we're a sociopath or a masochist.  It certainly isn't a badge of honor.

When we're confronted with a storm, we need to go through it, knowing eventually we'll get to the other side. There will be suffering as we make our way through.  If we think we should try to find ways to avoid suffering, we might not find our way out.

Not to mention that suppressing suffering can lead to both physical and emotional problems.

R

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2016 at 12:15pm

I agree with you Roger.  I thought this would be a good thread to explore.  The quote about suffering does have some merit though.  Some suffering comes from holding onto what we must confront and then release.  So the pain of a bad experience should be confronted as you point out, and processed, but then released.  If we hold onto the pain, after the experience and processing, if we live in the past with it, or project it to the future, then the suffering continues. 

So I do think there is some wisdom in the "pain is inevitable" quote (I also found it was not directly attributed to Buddha, but goes along with the philosophy).   Too many people relive the painful event and suffer on and on without integrating it and releasing it.

M

IP Logged

Chrisagain

ALK Member

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2016 at 12:24pm

Very interesting article. I guess it is very important to distinguish between finding comfort in spirituality and some sort of spiritual escapism. As far as I know, religious leaders have all recommended ways to escape despair, but equally  have all advised to help the suffering and be aware of your inner life. To truly overcome suffering and pain, it would then become necessary to acknowledge and "feel" the pain (as well as emphasise with people in pain) and then, only in a second step, find your way back to balance with spirituality.

What I have also sometimes encountered especially with sick people, is that some visitors or relatives will use their own spiritual approach to more or less tell them they should not feel pain because "all is ok" or, worse in my eyes, because some karmic influence must have caused this. I get angry when this happens because to my mind this is not loving and causes people extra pain. Not a good use of belief, which should comfort and heal.

Probably all comes down again to whether your approach to spirituality will enhance love, comfort and healing or be detrimental to yourself and/or others.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2016 at 1:17pm

On the one hand it is important to not be assertive about one's spiritual state, but on the other hand it is important to not make the mistake of not allowing oneself to come up with a spiritual solution.

After my dad died I cried really hard. I had a dream that might've been more than a dream, I hugged him very intensly and told him "I love you so much, thank you for being such a good father."

It really troubled me to see him suffer so much during his final days. I was relieved when he was free of his suffering. Because of my spiritual experiences and understanding, to an extent, I am able to view him in the same way that the spirit beings who know him view him. They aren't sad for him, they are very happy for him, because they know about the reality of his spiritual existence. It makes my heart feel good to know that he feels happier now than he ever did.

I agree that we need to take responsibility for the totality of ourselves, rather than ignore aspects that might be considered unpleasant. This is one of the reasons I wrote yet another book called "An Integrated Approach to Spiritual Growth-Sixteen Ways to Meditate."

https://www.amazon.com/Integrated-Approach-Spiritual-Growth-Meditate-ebook/dp/B0...

Sorry for the self promotion, the timing seemed appropriate. The hard copy has yet to post.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2016 at 10:52pm

I hadn't really thought of this as a way to repress painful emotions before reading the article.  I can see where a spiritual practice could be used as a way to hide from emotions that a person doesn't want to feel.

If I remember correctly there's a Buddhist or Hindu saying that goes something like: to overcome suffering you must be a friend to yourself.  What this means to me is that most of human suffering caused by emotional pain can be healed by developing a positive emotional relationship with yourself, or what now is known as loving the self, though some see that as narcissism.  I suppose that could be true in some cases, but that's not the intent.

I'm not one that thinks we can simply feel the painful emotions, and then let them go.  There's more to it.  To be able to assimilate them we need to understand where they are coming from.  I think all negative emotions cover up an ego related fear.  If we uncover the fear and release it, the painful emotions we feel dissipate as well.  This takes honesty with our self and yes, we can feel vulnerable as we go through the healing process.

Guilt, for example, is an unwillingness to accept our self as we are.  If we feel guilty for something we've done or neglected to do, then we are either procrastinating about doing something to rectify it, or we are still processing it, or we have chosen to punish our self with guilt because our actions did not express our integrity.  It is easier to feel guilty for something than to do what we must to keep our integrity.  We fear whatever it is we must do, so it is easier to feel guilty than to face our fear.  The guilt feeling covers up the fear, but it also leads to self-rejection, and thus, we choose self-rejection over fear.

Most, if not all of our negative emotions cover up a fear that we have.  If we can get to the root cause by finding the fear and dealing with it, then we are able to release the fear, as well as dissipate the emotional pain that was covering the fear up.

K

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Chrisagain

ALK Member

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2016 at 1:36am

Very nicely put, Lights of Love. I agree that there is more to processing emotions than being aware of them, not supressing them however is the first step.

To be a friend to yourself first and then to others is surely a good way to live. Sounds very much like love yourself and equally your fellow man which is how I understand the christian way.

I'm sometimes astounded how many spiritual leaders come to some of the same conclusions (big differences too, ofc). In the other hand, since these are probably the "basics of humanity", it is less surprising.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

ALK Member

Johannesburg South Africa
Reply #7 - May 16th, 2016 at 3:12am

DocM wrote on May 15th, 2016 at 11:09am:
Got an article of interest:
http://highexistence.com/spiritual-bypassing-how-spirituality-sabotaged-my-growt...

This topic is fascinating.  The gist of it is that sometimes, when people are focused around the ideas and philosophy of spirituality, that when things so wrong in their lives, they tend to hide from their feelings and emotions and take refuge in the ideals of spirituality.  The author of the article (and the main author of a book on the topic) give several examples, where, rather than confront a difficult experience (death of a loved one, disease, divorce, etc.) there is a deliberate suppression of the feeling with the mantra "everything is Ok."   The idea being, yes, everything is OK overall, but if we have emotions (anger, grief, etc.) we should not ignore them and hide in a numbning cloak of superior love and spirituality.  Detachment is often advised by various Eastern and spiritual groups.  Yet if we ignore emotions, they tend to fester, and it may be difficult to heal without confronting them. 

The authors feel that authentic spirituality means exploring our emotions.  Feeling the pain, anger, grief.  Not reveling in it, but experiencing it, feeling it, allowing it to be, and then (hopefully) integrating it into ourselves in order to heal.  This may take incredible honesty and the ability to be vulnerable, which is not easy.

Thoughts?

Matthew

It is wrong to take the advice of any fallible mortal human as absolute truth because that truth lies inside all of us if we look into our spiritual hearts for it.

Real truth always gives a person real peace, if they both find it and put it into action into their respective lives!

The truth remains the truth, no matter what we think the truth is, the truth is the truth regardless

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2016 at 9:58pm

Alan,

Your comment has nothing to do with what this thread is about.  I am not asking if we should take advice from mortal human beings.  The title of the thread "spiritual bypassing" implies that some people will use spiritual philosophies to deny or suppress their emotions and feelings.  The author's implication is that only by facing our life situations and integrating the emotion into our whole being do we evolve spiritually, not be suppressing the emotion.

The purpose of this thread was to discuss this topic, not to ask what is the ultimate source for knowledge or truth.  If you have something to add to the discussion about the article, I welcome it.

M

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

ALK Member

Johannesburg South Africa
Reply #9 - May 17th, 2016 at 12:22am

DocM wrote on May 16th, 2016 at 9:58pm:
Alan,

Your comment has nothing to do with what this thread is about.  I am not asking if we should take advice from mortal human beings.  The title of the thread "spiritual bypassing" implies that some people will use spiritual philosophies to deny or suppress their emotions and feelings.  The author's implication is that only by facing our life situations and integrating the emotion into our whole being do we evolve spiritually, not be suppressing the emotion.

The purpose of this thread was to discuss this topic, not to ask what is the ultimate source for knowledge or truth.  If you have something to add to the discussion about the article, I welcome it.

M

Quote from your article below from the link given by you?

Quote:
Before we can heal our pain, we have, to be honest about it and accept it

— (Thus the healing must come from within ourselves, not from the advice of another fallible person?

And what is the source of "Spiritual Philosophies?"

The truth remains the truth, no matter what we think the truth is, the truth is the truth regardless

IP Logged

Gman

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2016 at 2:37am

Well Done Old Boy!....You got nine+ replies, to your initial post/ thread!...If I posted mine, I would probably get none... 

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2016 at 6:11am

Actually, the article about spiritual bypassing can apply to any form of spirituality which is used to bypass the substance and emotions of a real life situation.  The author mostly applied the discussion to New Age or Eastern philosophies which stress that the ego is the illusory part of ourselves.

However, some conventional fundamentalists of the great religions (christianity, judaism, islam) make use of this quite nicely.  A fundamentalist will say "the Bible tells me what to think/feel," and so there is no need to explore the painful emotion or feeling.  For some there may be a comfort to be told what to think and feel since the source book is touted as the unalterable truth.  But as the article points out, if we cloak ourselves in the pride of any spiritual philosophy and don't process and absorb the emotions, then we are likely to be disturbed and not progress overall.  We've seen this happen on the board where unhappy people have responded to such discussions with platitudes from a biblical source without true discussion of the issues.

I do agree that we have to go over the issues ourselves, Alan, but I don't think that makes the individual person infallible.  And I don't personally believe that the written texts are, themselves infallible.  So yes, going within for the answer; facing the negative emotions, processing them and integrating them is the key rather than saying that you will ignore them because your religion or philosophy tells you what to think.

Food for thought.

M

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #12 - May 17th, 2016 at 6:45am

Gman. If you post a new thread I'm sure you would get responses.

IP Logged

Chrisagain

ALK Member

Reply #13 - May 17th, 2016 at 7:12am

DocM wrote on May 17th, 2016 at 6:11am:
Actually, the article about spiritual bypassing can apply to any form of spirituality which is used to bypass the substance and emotions of a real life situation.  The author mostly applied the discussion to New Age or Eastern philosophies which stress that the ego is the illusory part of ourselves.

However, some conventional fundamentalists of the great religions (christianity, judaism, islam) make use of this quite nicely.  A fundamentalist will say "the Bible tells me what to think/feel," and so there is no need to explore the painful emotion or feeling.  For some there may be a comfort to be told what to think and feel since the source book is touted as the unalterable truth.  But as the article points out, if we cloak ourselves in the pride of any spiritual philosophy and don't process and absorb the emotions, then we are likely to be disturbed and not progress overall.  We've seen this happen on the board where unhappy people have responded to such discussions with platitudes from a biblical source without true discussion of the issues.

I do agree that we have to go over the issues ourselves, Alan, but I don't think that makes the individual person infallible.  And I don't personally believe that the written texts are, themselves infallible.  So yes, going within for the answer; facing the negative emotions, processing them and integrating them is the key rather than saying that you will ignore them because your religion or philosophy tells you what to think.

Food for thought.

M

I think you are quite correct in saying that all religions can be used to bypass emotions of yourself and of others that seem too painful or too counter-self-imageish to process. But do you think it is only religions that serve for this purpose? The more I think of it, the more I believe that many convicions and habits can be used to the same purpose. Èxample. I`m afraid, to take one common fear, of cancer. Now I could tell myself, consciously or subconsciously "If I live healthy and exercise a lot and never eat too much and think positive I will never get cancer." I see this line of thought quite a lot recently. This, ofc, is much easier than to go where this fear comes from: The fear of death, the fear of the unknown, the intuitive knowledge that this body is not invincible and will fail one day. Bypassing of this nature is also much easier than to face this kind of thing and try to find your way to live with the human reality without despairing.

Hm. The more I write the more I think that it`s important to say I don`t mean to be arrogant with this. It is very human to try and find a viable way to deal with your fears without having to go "the whole hog" and integrate and process them fully. But what I gather from the article you originally posted, Matthew, and what I have seen with suffering people, is that if you go the easy way in this, you will fall all the harder once pain that can not be bypassed comes along. For example, the death of a loved one, life-threatening illness or even an unwanted total change in your life.

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2016 at 6:00pm

Emotions may feel real at the moment. They are generally not particularly rational in daily life. But that is okay.

Having spiritual tools to use in order to have some control is valuable. For instance, emotions running wild can completely undo previous work that a person has done to improve their own and others' well-being.

It is good to take the time to feel, and to take the time to know oneself.

Part of knowing and honoring oneself is valuing one's own emotions and choosing how to care for yourself and others.

It is not honoring oneself to insist that certain behaviors or beliefs or emotions must never change.

That would be impossible and inhuman. Even when we are not growing visibly we are growing. A change may not seem probable and may catch us by surprise, but it's coming. And that's okay.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.