Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The Most Compelling Evidence? (Read 19439 times)
DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: The Most Compelling Evidence?
Reply #15 - May 10th, 2016 at 1:58pm

Or, the brain can be like a radio.  If you showed a radio to a caveman, they would assume perhaps that tiny people lived inside the radio and talked or made music.  What other explanation could there be? 

With the brain, we assume it is the center of consciousness.  But what if it is just the receiver of consciousness like a radio is a receiver of radio waves?  If the brain interfaces with our consciousness in a different plane of existence, then it is the organ that allows our spirit to interact with physical matter.  Ah, but you might say, "why do people who have strokes lose the ability to move an arm, a leg, or speak if the brain does not create consciousness?"  Good question.  What if we take the radio as an example?  If I damage a speaker, or break a component, the sound might become distorted.  If I damage the antenna, only certain signals might be received, etc.  So the fact that certain brain injuries result in deficits still does not tell us that the brain is the originator of thought. 

I am biased here, in thinking, like Kathy, that thought originates in a mental plane, and simply interpenetrates the brain.  An interesting experiment was carried out by a neuroscientist named Lashley.  In it, he gruesomely burned out various parts of the brains of mice, in order to find out the one part which carried the information on how to run through a maze to get food (after they were trained to run the maze).  He became frustrated because he could not localize that memory and thought to one area.  Indeed, some mice had over half their brains burned out and still recalled how to run the maze after being taught.   

These findings then led to quantum theories about the brain.  That there may be a kind of holographic memory, or that memory may be present in more than one location at a time.  But to me, these awful experiments were just one more piece of evidence that the brain may be a receiver of consciousness, but not the creator of thought. 

Matthew

IP Logged

Chrisagain

ALK Member

Reply #16 - May 10th, 2016 at 2:04pm

What I find most suggestive and therefore fascinating towards a possible consciousness that is independent of the brain are two things.

First, some NDEs have undisputably taken place where there was no (measurable) brain activity. This is a very unlikely circumstance for clear thoughts to say the least.

Secondly, and even more interesting, it is certain that not only your brain structure influences your thoughts (which it does), but your thoughts can and do influence your physical brain structure. Lucky for psychotherapists, or their treatment would not help much. This, to me, is one of the most compelling facts that suggest that an afterlife is possible. Who is the "me" that actively changes my neurons if there is no "me" except for my physical brain?

If these and other things didn`t exist, I would not be researching into the idea of an afterlife at all  Shocked but they do and so, although I am not yet 100% convinced there is an afterlife or a soul, I am also not 100% convinced there isn`t.

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 11th, 2016 at 7:27pm

Exactly, your thoughts do influence your physical brain structure. Many things influence it. And, the pursuit of that illusive "I" which does the observing creates a noticeably different view of reality.

What happens to someone who has an out of body experience and experiences 360 degree vision? How do you describe that? It is first hand experience.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #18 - May 12th, 2016 at 1:58am

The question of the relationship between brain and mind is a very  interesting which many scientists just assume is a straight forward causal one. But people like Aldous Huxley (of Brave New World fame) thought, through his experiences with hallucinogens, that the brain acted more like a damping valve or filter on consciousness.If you think that the brain causes  consciousness then survival becomes an impossibility.This is where the link between theorising and observations comes in. Because scientists don't currently have a model to explain how the mind and brain interact they reject things like NDEs a priori because in their eyes they can't happen.In my opinion this gets the observation and theorising the wrong way round- it should be observation first, theorising second!.This filters down into the media where the liberal media e.g BBC, The Guardian will almost never report 'paranormal' events without rationalising them in fundamental scientific terms e.g NDEs as just the product of chemical imbalance in the brain for example- any other explanation would reek of a superstitious, irrational age.This also makes it more likely that people will dismiss their own personal experiences.

Things are starting to change however with the old Newtonian materialist paradigm being increasingly challenged by serious scientists.The publication of academic tomes like Irreducible Mind edited by Edward Kelly are a sign of that. One result of this is, I think, that people will stop dismissing their own experiences so readily because they now have a scientific respectability.Organisations such as IONs (Institute of Noetic Sciences) help a lot I think.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2016 at 12:01pm by heisenberg69 »  

IP Logged

Chrisagain

ALK Member

Reply #19 - May 12th, 2016 at 3:43am

heisenberg69, I think you are right in assuming that the opposition against scientists who even think about going against the mainstream materialist view is lessening somewhat. However, it is still very strong, so strong that even nobel prize winners are sometimes ridiculed for "such ideas". I personally agree to the original Heisenberg and all his successors that, in the end, all science ultimately ends in questions or, as the belief may be, with God, and therefore, the so-called "paranormal" observations should be approached with an unbiased mind.

After all, "paranormal" is just what has not been explained YET. And a consciousness that is not limited to the confines of the material world as we see it as of 2016 is a possible explanation of some observations.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #20 - May 12th, 2016 at 11:18am

Following on from your point Chris, don't even think of getting an unbiased view of this subject matter from Wikipedia- there are guerilla sceptics who make it their life's work to sabotage any unbiased entries -  Craig Weller talks about this in his book 'PSI Wars: TED,Wikipedia and the battle for the Internet'. So yes opposition to open-minded thought is still very strong.But I'm hopeful.

IP Logged

Chrisagain

ALK Member

Reply #21 - May 12th, 2016 at 11:29am

Wikipedia is, in my opinion, not a valid source for any scientific discussion. If I want to research something, I`ll go to the studies directly. And read them, of course. And scientists sometimes contribute in magazines like the scientific american or similar, which is admittedly also not really a scientific source, but understandable.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #22 - May 12th, 2016 at 11:53am

Chrisagain wrote on May 12th, 2016 at 11:29am:
Wikipedia is, in my opinion, not a valid source for any scientific discussion. If I want to research something, I`ll go to the studies directly. And read them, of course. And scientists sometimes contribute in magazines like the scientific american or similar, which is admittedly also not really a scientific source, but understandable.

But many people do go to Wikipedia as their first point of call and so it is very influential- people may dismiss something on the basis of what they read there. Scientific papers are by their nature usually very dry and put the layperson off- that's if they even have access.The Journal of Scientific Exploration (which I subscribe to) is not even listed in the Web of Science search engine for example.

IP Logged

Gman

Reply #23 - May 12th, 2016 at 6:58pm

A French Christian's dogmatic view on NDE's. I did not expect otherwise.   https://reflexionsjesus.wordpress.com/2014/10/06/the-near-death-experiences-nde/

IP Logged

Bruce Moen
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #24 - May 12th, 2016 at 9:19pm

For me the only evidence that is truly compelling is my own, direct experience of verified communication with someone known to be deceased.  Second for me is watching participants do this in workshops.  The value of reading what others have written is limited for me.  At best I can see some authors are describing the same place.

Bruce

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #25 - May 13th, 2016 at 1:52am

Hi Bruce,

would you not also agree that a world where science takes the possibility of an afterlife seriously would help people (particularly logical,rational types) to accept their own experiences more easily in a kind of 'rising tide raises all ships' kind of way? I know you have looked at the possibility of some kind of engineered communication device- have you made any progress on this?

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Reply #26 - May 13th, 2016 at 1:53pm

I probably have a different view on how important it is that we prove the existence of the afterlife.

I think the very fact that we exist, in human consciousness, is so amazing that to be overly concerned whether we continue to exist or not tends to diminish this one magnificent fact.  For me, I am grateful to be alive at this time and place and for that, I try to remind myself to give thanks to whoever or whatever made this happen.

It's kind of like winning the lottery and then spending time trying to figure out if or how I can win the next one. 

I don't know if there's an afterlife, I hope so but frankly I don't think there will ever come a time when it can be proven. The main reason is that since it's our own experiences that convince us that it's real, these experiences cannot be replicated and replication is what science demands.

R

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #27 - May 13th, 2016 at 2:13pm

Okay, I'm back, what can I say? Some misunderstandings took place.

Whatever the case, I feel very grateful that I've had a number of experiences that let me know that the after life exists. It is possible to have spiritual experiences that provide a level of certainty that is beyond what typical human intellectual activity can provide. Having such knowledge provides a perspective that helps you deal with the challenges of life. It also enables you to have a perspective with which you can view all of the troubles that exist in this world. I figure that compared to all of the love, light and joy that exists within the totality of God's being, the troubles of this world are like a small temporary itch on one small part of your body.

When it comes to my spiritual growth, I do not believe it would've been possible for me to grow to the extent I have, if I didn't have access to the spirit levels of my being.

Regarding what is the most compelling evidence, I've had experiences where I was able to verify information I received through spiritual means at a later time, and experiences where I was at a level of being where I was connected to universal knowledge and the certainty of such knowledge was quite clear. Both types of verifications have validity, but if I could have only one, I would pick the type where I am connected to universal knowledge. Such knowledge involves the heart level of being.

Albert

I'd like to add then when I read about some NDE accounts I understand why some experiencers feel so certain of what they experienced, because I've experienced such levels of being, and when you do so, you are certain of the reality of what you experience. You understand that that level of being is what your existence is truly about, not this body-based existence in the world. To the extent that is practical,  I prioritize my life.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #28 - May 13th, 2016 at 3:27pm

rondele wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 1:53pm:
I probably have a different view on how important it is that we prove the existence of the afterlife.

I think the very fact that we exist, in human consciousness, is so amazing that to be overly concerned whether we continue to exist or not tends to diminish this one magnificent fact.  For me, I am grateful to be alive at this time and place and for that, I try to remind myself to give thanks to whoever or whatever made this happen.

It's kind of like winning the lottery and then spending time trying to figure out if or how I can win the next one. 

I don't know if there's an afterlife, I hope so but frankly I don't think there will ever come a time when it can be proven. The main reason is that since it's our own experiences that convince us that it's real, these experiences cannot be replicated and replication is what science demands.

R

But that point of view surely only serves us when things are going well- we're happy, healthy, etc. If you're anything like me it only takes an accident to a loved one or an ailing parent to dislodge that mode of thinking. Also I suspect that members of this board are amongst the most privileged people on the planet (including myself), maybe the top few % in terms of income and healthcare, many people in this world lead daily lives of struggle and try to make sense of it.Also I have the knowledge that what we commonly see or touch is only a small part of what there is: its hard to put the genie back in the bottle once he's released!

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Reply #29 - May 13th, 2016 at 3:31pm

Hi Albert-

I'm glad you returned.  I had deleted my account but this board is so important to me that, as I told Bruce, I was going to re-up! 😊  I respect your experiences and realize completely what you're saying. I too had experiences that are unexplainable and point to an afterlife, but all I'm saying is that I doubt science will ever be able to provide conclusive evidence.

I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.

R

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.