Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
The Most Compelling Evidence? (Read 19446 times)
heisenberg69

England
The Most Compelling Evidence?
May 7th, 2016 at 5:17am

Aside from personal verifications, what do people on this board consider to be the most compelling objective evidence for our continued existence after physical death? Is it NDEs, apparitions, ITC, mediumship studies, reincarnation or something else completely?

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: The Most Compelling Evidence?
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2016 at 11:49am

For me, it can only be my own experience, though most of the things you mention can help with understanding your own experiences. 

I try to be open minded, yet skeptical.

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2016 at 3:01pm

The fact that so many people now and throughout history have believed in an afterlife, and have had numerous reasons which are perfectly rational for believing it, causes me to feel fairly confident in a positive view. Taken together, it seems foolish to believe against all of the evidence.

However, a personal approach is most convincing. The recent experiences I had in dreams with my deceased mother were quite reassuring.

It seems only a matter of time before we find ways to have regular, irrefutable contact with the deceased. This would transform the world.

As it is, it is surprising how peaceful and loving most people are in this world. One would think more people would fight tooth and nail for their lives in certain circumstances, rather than be helpful and to put others first, as they typically do. What I mean is, without a belief in the afterlife, things seem rather futile. There is, of course, the argument that a nonbeliever can have highly ethical reasons for their conduct in life. But, somehow, that doesn't feel like enough for me.

I am highly encouraged by all the evidence which is right out there in plain view from multiple sources for those who look for it.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #3 - May 8th, 2016 at 3:20am

That's the thing 'the truth is out there' as they say. I find it frustrating that some people are suffering because they essentially think that the world is a meaningless accident: I don't think its any accident that a number of prominent athiests suffer from clinical depression: I think of depression (at least that not directly caused by chemical imbalance) as a disconnect from Source. On the other hand blind faith does'nt do it either; after all its blind faith which allows religious zealots to kill unbelievers with alacrity.

Some people think that an interest in the afterlife is morbid- after all why not just concentrate on the life  now? But our attitudes towards death affects greatly how we live our lives now.For instance actions might have no consequences beyond physical life so treat people how you like or the way which we react to a diagnosis of terminal illness (although of course all physical life is terminal!).

I guess the evidence which people find most compelling depends on their backgrounds and characters. For an intuitive-type person personal symbols and meaningful coincidences are powerful validations while hard-headed scientists types might find their own senses untrustworthy but find a highly statistically significant controlled study much more persuasive.

IP Logged

Gman

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2016 at 8:03am

NDE's

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #5 - May 8th, 2016 at 5:14pm

Gman wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 8:03am:
NDE's

NDEs such as the Pam Reynolds case and Eben Alexander are pretty compelling.

IP Logged

Gman

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2016 at 7:48pm

heisenberg69 wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 5:14pm:
Gman wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 8:03am:
NDE's

NDEs such as the Pam Reynolds case and Eben Alexander are pretty compelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNvCJSOBTeA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83aB1GLC3To

So true H69. Above are two videos about a startling NDE of a jewish secular teenager who had little or no knowledge about his religion. I've only come across this a few days ago. Watch the two video links above first.

If you want to see the original of Natan's NDE, you'll find it on youtube. He is seated in some type of synagogue in Israel surrounded by Rabbi's and their students. It is in hebrew, but there are english sub-titles. It goes for nearly two hours and gets somewhat boring. There are also shorter videos by others about his NDE.

Here's the full version with english sub-titles: http://palmtreeofdeborah.blogspot.com.au/2016/01/natans-nde-full-version-in-engl...

IP Logged

Chrisagain

ALK Member

Reply #7 - May 9th, 2016 at 9:22am

To me, none of the suggested were really compelling evidence when I researched every aspect of them and found believable causes to doubt for any of them.

It would have been compelling for me if the Aware study had come forth with verifiable recognitions of the pictograms they had in emergency rooms, however it did not. This is not evidence that there is no afterlife, but also no evidence to the contrary.

Soooo - as things are now, I think personal experience is the only thing that can really be convincing.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #8 - May 9th, 2016 at 11:10am

Chrisagain wrote on May 9th, 2016 at 9:22am:
To me, none of the suggested were really compelling evidence when I researched every aspect of them and found believable causes to doubt for any of them.

It would have been compelling for me if the Aware study had come forth with verifiable recognitions of the pictograms they had in emergency rooms, however it did not. This is not evidence that there is no afterlife, but also no evidence to the contrary.

Soooo - as things are now, I think personal experience is the only thing that can really be convincing.

Hi Chrisagain,

what is the basis of your reservations of the Pam Reynolds and Eben Alexander cases?

IP Logged

Chrisagain

ALK Member

Reply #9 - May 9th, 2016 at 11:37am

Hello Heisenberg69,

I have to admit I don`t remember what it was with the Eben Alexander case, but with Pam Reynolds, I read a detailed account of the procedure and the moments when she was possibly aware and when she was not. This account showed that it is at least possible that Mrs. Reynolds was only aware during those parts of the procedure when there was still substantial brain activity. I could search for the link, but I don`t like to post links. It was a medical site of some sort.

What casts some doubt on the whole thing as well as gives credit to this version of events is that of all the many hypothermic procedures that take place, only this account has become known. One would think that at least one or two more would have surfaced if those were true OBEs.

However: This, for me, does not mean that Mrs. Reynolds did not have a true OBE and that her account was not very astounding and may have been a true case of leaving the body. However, for me to accept something as compelling evidence, I must be free of all reasonable doubt. In this case, some doubt that it was "just" an amazing case of awareness during anaesthesia (which does happen) remained.

If I remember correctly (but I`m not sure), my problem with Eben Alexander`s account and similar is that they were very interesting, but there was no objective evidence that it was not all in his head, so to say. During the time when I researched NDE`s, I read dozens of accounts. Some are a  lot less known. They are not all structured and many suggest a dreamlike state or some sort of hallucination. Clear, more or less lucid experiences do not seem to be the norm. When they happen, however, I agree that they are very fascinating and possibly could point to the existence of an afterlife. But nothing has convinced me 100%.

On the contrary, I struggle how to believe in an afterlife when the personality and memory of a human being with, say, severe dementia or substantial brain damage changes so drastically. I personally know of some cases where a brain tumor changed a person quite substantially. Operating it, the old personality resurfaced. How can this be if the "us" doesn`t sit in the brain?

This is why, for me, only personal experience and verifiable personal experience at that would change things. Regrettably.

Chris

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2016 at 8:06pm

heisenberg69 wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 3:20am:
That's the thing 'the truth is out there' as they say. I find it frustrating that some people are suffering because they essentially think that the world is a meaningless accident: I don't think its any accident that a number of prominent athiests suffer from clinical depression: I think of depression (at least that not directly caused by chemical imbalance) as a disconnect from Source. On the other hand blind faith does'nt do it either; after all its blind faith which allows religious zealots to kill unbelievers with alacrity.

Some people think that an interest in the afterlife is morbid- after all why not just concentrate on the life  now? But our attitudes towards death affects greatly how we live our lives now.For instance actions might have no consequences beyond physical life so treat people how you like or the way which we react to a diagnosis of terminal illness (although of course all physical life is terminal!).

I guess the evidence which people find most compelling depends on their backgrounds and characters. For an intuitive-type person personal symbols and meaningful coincidences are powerful validations while hard-headed scientists types might find their own senses untrustworthy but find a highly statistically significant controlled study much more persuasive.

Yes, it is very hurtful to think that all of life is a meaningless accident. If you look at a variety of NDEs it is apparent that life is not at all meaningless, and we are very much loved, despite and even because we are put in these very confining circumstances as human beings. We are under great pressure, as many who come back from an nde report. The experience of returning is often stifling.

The afterlife, apparently, is a very very very different place.

We sometimes judge ourselves very harshly, and that is really not helpful or necessary.

We are here for a reason -- even if we outlast the stay we planned, it is all good. We seem to get brownie points for staying. I like that.

In any case, even if things seem dire, when viewed from the perspective of someone having a near death experience (who can view the future) -- from a particular perspective there -- there exists a light at the end of the tunnel.

The light at the end of the tunnel is here.

So, there is a reason to keep calm and carry on.

They come back and tell us that. So, I tend to believe it.

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2016 at 9:32pm

Especially, regarding the brownie points, who wouldn't want those...you know?  I feel that I could especially use some brownie points.

And more brownies.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #12 - May 10th, 2016 at 1:33am

Seagull-
yes, that seems to be the powerful overriding message of the true NDE i.e. a powerful sense of purpose/meaning which comes to the experiencer. It is also something which sceptical explanations e.g. anoxia, carboxia, endorphins etc. seem to ignore (they also ignore many other aspects ).Some people do have problems adjusting coming back as well.

Chrisagain-
I think its important to realise that just as no experiment is 100% perfect no NDE can be completely without alternative explanations- so it comes down to probabilities and likelihoods and how well alternative explanations fit.There are some really interesting NDE accounts out there of which Pam Reynolds is a particularly marked one.

IP Logged

Chrisagain

ALK Member

Reply #13 - May 10th, 2016 at 3:15am

Heisenberg69,

I agree. However, your question was "what is the most compelling evidence for youSmiley

Among all these, the NDEs are the most compelling for me, but not sufficient (yet) for conviction, that is what I meant.

Chris

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #14 - May 10th, 2016 at 9:43am

Quote:
I struggle how to believe in an afterlife when the personality and memory of a human being with, say, severe dementia or substantial brain damage changes so drastically. I personally know of some cases where a brain tumor changed a person quite substantially. Operating it, the old personality resurfaced. How can this be if the "us" doesn`t sit in the brain?

Hi Chris,

It makes sense to me that we are individualized consciousness that exists outside of the brain, in the non-physical. 

Simply stated, the brain acts as a constraint for consciousness.  The tumor of the person constrained his/her brain even more than it had been previously and when the tumor was removed that constraint was also removed.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.