Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Love is (Read 25684 times)
seagull
Ex Member

Love is
Apr 14th, 2016 at 7:18am

all that matters.

IP Logged

Baroness

ALK Member

Re: Love is
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 9:36am

I agree.  It sure can change a life if allowed into it. Smiley

IP Logged

chrwe

ALK Member

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 9:44am

Love your neighbour as yourself. Easy to say, surprisingly complex to do.

Loving yourself is hard for some, how then can you love others. Loving others is hard for some, how then can you leave the world a little better than when you entered it. Knowing what love really is in some situations can be very hard, for example if two opposite obligations tug at you.

Yes, certainly easy to say, hard to do  Smiley - but in the end, indeed, all that counts.

IP Logged

Baroness

ALK Member

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 2:32pm

I wrote this several years ago to my family and friends and thought it might fit in here.

I've been musing about love lately. Not just romantic love but all the different kinds of love.

We should all know what love feels like either coming to us from another or giving it to others. It starts with our mothers before we are born. The first few years of our lives we usually are surrounded by love. In that way, we learn to love in return. We are given love, and we return it in order to get more. As we grow we start to learn how to give love without expecting anything in return...unconditional love. An example is giving that first Valentine to mom or dad. Then maybe along comes a kitten or puppy, it is our chance to give love to something without getting much in return besides a lick on the nose.
As we grow, we find love grows...even our love of life.
Then there is that wonderful first love. You remember the one you couldn't stop thinking about. Was it mostly glands? Of course, but that didn't make it any less love. It was enough love that it could break our hearts and usually did. Again we learned about love.
As the years go by we love our parents (even more than we knew we did),friends, mates, children (some of the purest love), pets, and even some strangers. Our love continues to grow.
Hey, wait a minute, did I just say strangers. Yes, I did. Ever make a contribution to a charity? How about a homeless person? Maybe you gave to the food bank or a hospital. There you have it...love of strangers. It is another form of pure love...giving from the heart or pocket without expecting a return.
If I ever wonder what God is like, I think of all of these loves especially that pure unconditional love. By loving unconditionally, we all are more like God. What a goal to aim for!

T'ressa

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 5:25pm

At the same time we have to be aware of those who hate, and who are determined to do us great harm.  It does no good whatsoever to love the butchers of ISIS who delight in beheading children and burning men alive in cages and other atrocities too brutal to mention.

Until we live in a perfect world, we need to demonstrate our love for innocent victims of terrorism by eliminating those who would slaughter them for the crime of existing.

R

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 6:14pm

Just a reminder:

"You have heard the law that says, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you  will be acting as true children of your father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. But you are to be perfect, even as you Father in heaven is perfect."

Matthew 6:43-48.

rondele wrote on Apr 14th, 2016 at 5:25pm:
At the same time we have to be aware of those who hate, and who are determined to do us great harm.  It does no good whatsoever to love the butchers of ISIS who delight in beheading children and burning men alive in cages and other atrocities too brutal to mention.

Until we live in a perfect world, we need to demonstrate our love for innocent victims of terrorism by eliminating those who would slaughter them for the crime of existing.

R

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 6:31pm

Also, there are some sources that say that the Iraq war created ISIS. Perhaps if a more love-based approach was taken after 911 rather than an angry, fear-based, and to some extent power hungry approach, ISIS would not have been created. If a man in Iraq sees his brother get killed he might become angry (just as Americans became angry after 911) and then join a group like ISIS. People do all kinds of foolish things when they are motivated by anger and fear, just as when they listened to the Bush administration's desire to start a war in Iraq. Here is an article where an Army general states that the Iraq war was a mistake and that it created ISIS. My guess is that he isn't a woo woo minded liberal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/iraq-war-isis-michael-flynn_us_565c83a9e4b07...

Below are some of the General's words.

"Retired Lt. General Michael Flynn, the former head of the Defense Intelligence Agency who came up through intelligence positions in Iraq and Afghanistan, says that the George W. Bush administration’s Iraq war was a tremendous blunder that helped to create the self-proclaimed Islamic State, or ISIS.

“It was a huge error,” Flynn said about the Iraq war in a detailed interview with German newspaper Der Spiegel published Sunday.

“As brutal as Saddam Hussein was, it was a mistake to just eliminate him,” Flynn went on to say. “The same is true for Moammar Gadhafi and for Libya, which is now a failed state. The historic lesson is that it was a strategic failure to go into Iraq. History will not be and should not be kind with that decision.”

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 11:06pm

Thank you.

For your presence.

IP Logged

chrwe

ALK Member

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 7:50am

I Love my children. Yet I discipline them. True Love does not equal submission.

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 9:25am

Thank you.

Each of you.

For your presence.

IP Logged

Ambivalent
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 10:30am

Quote:
Alan
PUL RUBBISH MAKES ME WANT TO VOMIT!

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 12:03pm

Not an impossibility, if we seek to love others unconditionally. Why would Jesus say be ye perfect as your father in heaven is perfect if it isn't possible to do so?

Alan McDougall wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 11:49am:
recoverer wrote on Apr 14th, 2016 at 6:14pm:
Just a reminder:

"You have heard the law that says, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you  will be acting as true children of your father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. But you are to be perfect, even as you Father in heaven is perfect."

Matthew 6:43-48.

rondele wrote on Apr 14th, 2016 at 5:25pm:

R

The shorter version is, "It is easy to love those that love you, but I tell you to love those who hate you" (almost an impossibility)

IP Logged

Ambivalent
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 12:31pm

Quote:
The shorter version is, "It is easy to love those that love you, but I tell you to love those who hate you" (almost an impossibility)

Alan, when you speak of Hitler, I think I get what you are saying. There are people in this world that do evil, brutal and ruthless acts, there is no question about this.

It has been inspiring to read when 1796/Crossbow has written about love, like, dislike and hatred. Not his words verbatim, but my interpretation: love is not about liking. Disliking is not about hatred. Having both love and dislike for somebody is possible. I can dislike something and somebody and strongly so, but once I wish somebody else harm and suffering, I am one to hate.

Straightforward, but so easily confused, misunderstood and misrepresented.

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 9:06pm

Thank you.

For your presence.

It is simple.

Love is all that matters.

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 8:00am

Thank you.

For your presence.

Love is.

All that matters.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.