Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spiritual Conditioning (Read 9013 times)
BillB

ALK Member

NorthEast
Re: Spiritual Conditioning
Reply #15 - Jun 14th, 2015 at 5:38pm

1796 wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 3:19am:
Very interesting responses. I like them all.

I expect it is apparent that I consider general conditioning to be more important than developing particular skills. Conditioning can be difficult work though. Personally I think basics like prayer, and practicing love and kindness to all are most important. Charity too, not just in its familiar usage in giving money, but in its wider meaning of all sorts of kindness and helpfulness, material and other. I believe in anonymity too, it protects charity from vanity. Doing good as discretely as possible. Keeping our spiritual efforts as secret as is practical to do. That protects us from phoniness which is so prevalent at the present time. And not being disturbed by things around us, but just persevering with our own efforts and applying our self as best we can to the circumstances around us. Of course, life is a challenge and we must expect to fail here and there, even frequently, but keep on soldiering on towards our best self. Remembering to be thankful every day for all the little good things, and the simple things, to count our blessings and be thankful for them, like fresh air, sunshine, rain, shelter, health, life, learning, friends, family, relationships, pets, wildlife, etc. Even being thankful for our misfortunes, illhealth, unpleasant experiences, pains and troubles, and having faith that their is purpose and growth within them. And laughter, humour, of a healthy sort. Every day we can have a healthy laugh at something. Laughing at our self is good for our health.       

I think this is well said.  I believe it is also an attribute of great faith and spiritual development when one can be thankful during the trial experiences.   Though often there is a focus on the far out cosmic experiences and/or psychic travels, I find that the personal development 1796 describes is key.  Some avoid religious overtones, but religions do teach many key lessons for our development.

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:10am

"I came to understand that there were competing interests in the development of man which the above beings have had conflicts over.  Somehow I saw the differing ideas as complementary, but opposed.  I also understood that somehow these approaches ultimately contribute together concerning man...."

Bill- Are you talking about the development of human souls? 

R

IP Logged

BillB

ALK Member

NorthEast
Reply #17 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:08pm

With respect to the quote, I was referring to mankind as a whole species over time. On the one hand one may think in black and white terms and say good vs evil fought over creation or man - following the thought of some traditions.  I am somewhat inclined to wonder that tho some of that is true, that it is more complicated than that and "the conflict" may be driven by dualities, opposing interests, competing forces that are natural to the system.  Look at nature working out the development of some ecologic niche, or even erosion - Competing natural forces at work.

Then things become more gray about good and evil.  So I guess I was referring in that quoted thought to the course of mankind.  Maybe there was a time when he wasn't a war-monger, or self-centered and greedy, then maybe some part of the formula got out of balance.  I don't know, but I wonder about this development of man-like species over the eons and what interested forces in the Universe have had in all this.

With respect to the 1796's thoughts, I was thinking more in terms of the individual.  Does one call that soul, or spirit, or some other word?  I don't know how one would settle on the correct definition or terminology, but when I think about myself..the part I see as "me", struggling forward, I do find the themes described by 1796 and various religious traditions (or Taoism if one considers that a religion) to well portray the fundamental lessons that I feel are beat into my being over time and I sense it is important at some very deep level.

This is of course my opinion. I don't think I could actually logically defend it; then I'm not sure that I even answered your question.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.