Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spiritual Conditioning (Read 8995 times)

Spiritual Conditioning
Mar 28th, 2015 at 4:29am

Professional athletes of all disciplines recognise the importance of both technique and conditioning.

The spiritual disciplines, out-of-body work and research, meditative work of all kinds, and any achievement worthwhile requires disciplined training in both technique and conditioning.

We read and hear many enthusiasts talking about this technique and that technique, as if technique is the crucial factor. But without conditioning, technique seldom achieves much, particularly when put under pressure.

If we are well condition though, and if we operate from a true foundation, and in accordance with a sound understanding of governing principles, then technique will largely look after itself.

When well-conditioned we can adapt to operate through any medium and make use of any technique as required, and even under pressure, against resistance and when operating through unfamiliar mediums. We can achieve much if we are well conditioned.

But being in poor condition, even though we may have the best technique, will not serve us well, except under the most favourable and easy of circumstances. If we are pushing our self hard, the going is likely to be tough and we need to be in good condition. Conditioning is the primary focus of the well disciplined and seasoned achiever in any field.   

In a spiritual sense, in regard to mind, heart, and soul, to render us fit for service on this and any other plane, what sort of condition should we be in? How is that condition acquired? How is good condition identified and recognised? How is poor condition recognised? What sorts of training, exercise, practice, should we work at to improve our condition? What sort of discipline should we maintain? How might we condition our self and make our self fit for service?

What are some of the disciplines that readers keep to or try to keep to, in order to condition their soul, mind, heart, and to develop spiritual fitness?    

Conditioning is sometimes the most daunting part of any training. Perhaps by sharing methods, ideas and experience, we might make the process easier for each other.             
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2015 at 6:34pm by 1796 »  

IP Logged

2bets

ALK Member

SE USA
Re: Spiritual Conditioning
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 10:54am

Hi 1796,

Thomas Merton, a Christian monk, wrote some articles back in the 1950's-'60's that were a big wake-up call at that time. Many of his readers were Roman Catholic or had found his name through his aggressive anti-war activities. That he could be so active and so Catholic and be almost a vegetarian was quite a surprise back then. (He said he really wanted a big steak but his Order had no money for it.)

He was also very contemplative, meditating for several+ hours a day. He left the main 'seminary' (?) and lived alone in order to keep his mind clear.

Because he had written "The Seven Story Mountain" and held fast to the ideal of peace, many people were influenced to move more toward his example. Not extremely by becoming a monk but by moving out of the 'silent generation,' which perhaps had been shocked into silence by lingering effects of WWII.

He shared more details about a contemplative life, such as pushing away mentally any negativity since it is not in harmony with the Love that is the guiding principle of life. He's an interesting read.

To me he lived an exemplary life of spiritual conditioning.

IP Logged

Justin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 1:06am

Nothing better than personal challenge, stress, and hardship as far as spiritual conditioning goes, in so far it's not so intense as to break or fracture the personality self. 

Course meditation and prayer help. 

Healthy diet and lifestyle help to keep a more balanced and acute attunement.  Vegetarianism and the like, tends to have better holistic effects on that, provided the diet is otherwise healthy and nutritious and primarily of the "natural". 

Asking for help/direction/guidance from forces/sources more aware and Love attuned than self helps. They can't do the work for you, but they can steer you in the right directions, etc.

Bruce's remembering the feeling/memory of Love helps if it's also applied universally in relation to creation in a day to day, moment to moment kind of way.

Different folks will find that different methods and techniques will help them more than it may help others and vice versa.  Such is the nature of individuality. 

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 4:22pm

I believe an important part is trying to determine where true fulfillment comes from. If you believe fulfillment can be found by being a body-based person who lives in a World that includes the drama this World includes, this could determine your state of being even after you die.

On the other hand, if you believe that fulfillment is found through a state of being that "isn't" body-based, your beingness is more likely to manifest accordingly.

When I meditate I sometimes make a point of noticing that the divine love and peace I feel is much more fulfilling than any pleasure I can experience while partaking in this World including the limited way in which people sometimes share love. The more I see the difference, the more I become detached from that which is World-based and tune within more completely.

Related to the above, there is the matter of not being afraid to see that you are much more than a body-based person. Being open to see that you are something much more formless yet more real.

Also let go of all other fear.

IP Logged

seagull

ALK Member

land sea sky
Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 7:42pm

For me, I try to remember to be grateful, to realize how blessed I am, to remain open to sources of inspiration. I try to remember to stop pushing for a particular outcome because there is much pleasure in surprises. These days I keep a commitment to nearly daily physical exercise, which clears the mind and sweetens the disposition.

Also, I try to remember to feel safe -- it is a choice. I remind myself that I am safe and I am loved. It is very helpful to have a calm mind.

I might try a new technique, or an old one. Spontaneous inspiration can lead a person toward an unexpected success. For instance, during a troubled time I might picture a soft color around me and invite my spirit guides to assist me. I picture myself protected and do not try to anticipate how I might be helped. I might then awaken from a dream I don't remember fully, but I wake with a feeling of calm, fully rested. I then know that the work is being done as I sleep and there is no reason to strive for my answers. The answers are already there, just waiting for me.

I hug my dog a lot, and I hug other people as often as I can. It is refreshing. Enjoying nature is also a good way to connect with my own appreciation of beauty and reminds me of what is good in this world.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 8:06pm

Seagull:

Yes, I've found it helpful to acknowledge how much I have to be grateful about. I am so fortunate compared to what other people in this World have to go through.  My life turned out quite different than I expected as a kid, it turned out much better, even though I work a mundane and boring job Monday through Friday.

Feeling safe and remembering that you are loved also helps.

IP Logged

BillB

ALK Member

NorthEast
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 9:19am

Practice: Patience - with all things, kindness - with all things. Tolerance, forbearance, and long-suffering - with all things.    Rest with them, Trust in the Source. Learn to wait.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 12:52pm

I could be a bit more patient.

BillB wrote on Apr 18th, 2015 at 9:19am:
Practice: Patience - with all things, kindness - with all things. Tolerance, forbearance, and long-suffering - with all things.    Rest with them, Trust in the Source. Learn to wait.

IP Logged

seagull

ALK Member

land sea sky
Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 4:47pm

What is beautiful springs naturally from a simple heart.

IP Logged

seagull

ALK Member

land sea sky
Reply #9 - May 5th, 2015 at 9:24pm

Each moment that you are living now you will treasure at a later time. It will surprise you. It will be an ordinary moment. But it will be one of the best moments of your life.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 3:19am

Very interesting responses. I like them all.

I expect it is apparent that I consider general conditioning to be more important than developing particular skills. Conditioning can be difficult work though. Personally I think basics like prayer, and practicing love and kindness to all are most important. Charity too, not just in its familiar usage in giving money, but in its wider meaning of all sorts of kindness and helpfulness, material and other. I believe in anonymity too, it protects charity from vanity. Doing good as discretely as possible. Keeping our spiritual efforts as secret as is practical to do. That protects us from phoniness which is so prevalent at the present time. And not being disturbed by things around us, but just persevering with our own efforts and applying our self as best we can to the circumstances around us. Of course, life is a challenge and we must expect to fail here and there, even frequently, but keep on soldiering on towards our best self. Remembering to be thankful every day for all the little good things, and the simple things, to count our blessings and be thankful for them, like fresh air, sunshine, rain, shelter, health, life, learning, friends, family, relationships, pets, wildlife, etc. Even being thankful for our misfortunes, illhealth, unpleasant experiences, pains and troubles, and having faith that their is purpose and growth within them. And laughter, humour, of a healthy sort. Every day we can have a healthy laugh at something. Laughing at our self is good for our health.       

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 12:25pm

1796, I like what you said.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 1:51am

recoverer wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 12:25pm:
1796, I like what you said.
Thank you.

Regarding patience. Someone a little sharper than myself described it this way:

• Patience is not an emotional condition; it is a mental understanding that events occur in sequence.

• Impatience is an emotional condition that results from the lack of a mental understanding that events occur in sequence.

A fuller appreciation of the distinction and relationship between the two conditions may require some gentle repeating and pondering of them. When the concept of what patience is, and how impatience arises, is well grasped, then apply it to life's issues, especially the trying ones. Make understanding of natural sequence a part of your constant awareness. Notice how patience, as a mental understanding that events occur in sequence, is a mental effort, and notice how it effects the mind, how it frees the intelligence and sharpens the intellect, even under trying conditions, and keeps emotions in check. Notice how at trying times when neglecting to understand and appreciate that events occur in sequence, causes the emotion of impatience to stir, and that emotional stirring can be used as a warning to remind us to switch our mental attention to understanding the sequences involved. It helped me; I am more patient nowadays. Perhaps it will help others too.

crossbow   

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 12:52pm

Crossbow, thank you for the advice about patience. I am mainly impatient when computer applications don't work correctly, such as an application I use at work that is very problematic.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 10:04pm

You're welcome Albert.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.