Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My objections with reincarnation and karma! (Read 19919 times)
Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: My objections with reincarnation and karma!
Reply #30 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 10:18am

Tom Campbell has a recent Youtube video of an interview with Prof Eric Cunningham that I think brings out some interesting aspects of karma / free choice in relationship to how we interpret our history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wxBmOc6ot8

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:41pm

Lights of Love wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 10:18am:
Tom Campbell has a recent Youtube video of an interview with Prof Eric Cunningham that I think brings out some interesting aspects of karma / free choice in relationship to how we interpret our history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wxBmOc6ot8

That is interesting subject matter, but I think its made dull by both men putting on a scripted over wordy performance. Those who know their subject, when being interviewed, don't need to write down their answers and then read them out. Personally I would rather have observed a freer interview.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #32 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 10:03pm

I agree.  The scripted bit is annoying, though this isn't TC's usual style.  He probably has a couple hundred videos on YouTube and this is the first one I've seen where this was done.  If I'm not mistaken, these were Q & A's taken from a seminar he did.

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 6:27am

I haven't heard of him before except the occasional mention of his name on these threads. If he knows what he's talking about then hopefully that will be the last time he reads his answers. And maybe use a more down to earth interviewer too.

I agree with Mathew, that karma is a type of force.
The law of karma / law of consequence is part of the natural cyclic/spiralic dynamic of creation/existence. It results when freewill (free initiative) is immersed into a universe where every dynamic great and small is cyclic. Throughout existence there are only cyclic streams, so any initiative that is exerted amongst them becomes a cause for a comeback.   

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #34 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 10:28am

Quote:
I haven't heard of him before except the occasional mention of his name on these threads. If he knows what he's talking about then hopefully that will be the last time he reads his answers. And maybe use a more down to earth interviewer too.

lol... I'd think a historian would be "down to earth", however, to me it's about the content, rather than the presentation.  As long as the content gives pause for thought, I'm ok with other people's idiosyncrasies now and then.
Quote:
I agree with Mathew, that karma is a type of force.
The law of karma / law of consequence is part of the natural cyclic/spiralic dynamic of creation/existence. It results when freewill (free initiative) is immersed into a universe where every dynamic great and small is cyclic. Throughout existence there are only cyclic streams, so any initiative that is exerted amongst them becomes a cause for a comeback.

Yes, I'm in agreement, too.  Karma is simply "consequence" of any action, including thoughts where pattern is developed.

K

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 7:16am

But although karma is a force of nature and is definite, it is not absolute - love/forgiveness overrides the law of consequence.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #36 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 8:46am

Not sure that I believe love overrides karma.  More that if we turn toward love and forgiveness, the natural consequence (karma) is to break the cycle of suffering.  So to my way of thinking, karma works the same, whether in ego-related thinking (which leads to action/reaction consequence) or in loving thought (which leads to loving consequence and breaks the cycle of suffering). 

My thoughts, anyway.

M

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 8:30am

I agree with you Matthew. For sure, what you describe occurs. But that is just a change of course, a change of attitude, outlook and thought, with its associated consequence upon the life of the one who makes the change. Love/forgiveness can do more than that; it absorbs and nullifies energies that otherwise would circulate around and bring back consequences to those who sent them forth. It works not just upon oneself but also upon others. 

Here is a gross example:
A man may strike you in the face, and with immediate reflex you strike him back in return. That is his karma; his consequence. In effect he was struck by his own punch returning to him. But if you loved with true love which contains forgiveness, then when he strikes you, you would not strike him back, but absorb his strike and not return his strike to him. Your forgiveness has nullified his karma, the consequences of his actions.

That is a gross and physical example with physical energy, but the same is true for the subtle energies of intention, thought and emotion, which also carry consequence. Forgiveness is like a wall of foam that absorbs all sound and does not send back an echo. What ever energies come up against forgiveness do not return to where they came, they are absorbed and nullified, they never can return to their owner and take back their consequences to him or her.

cb

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #38 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 10:28am

My understanding is a bit different from what you're describing.  Everyone is responsible for their own karma, which is held within one's own consciousness and is an accumulation of past choices, experiences and their understanding / interpretation of those experiences.  Their karma (what is held within their own consciousness) in a sense dictates the most likely probabilities for their thoughts and actions, though freedom of choice is always available. 

In your example, the man that punched someone was driven by his accumulated karma.  His intent, which is the mechanism that propels consciousness, was motivated by what we call fear at the being (karmic) level.  The man that took the punch demonstrated his personal karma in which his intent was motivated by what we call love at the being (karmic) level.  Just because the second man did not punch the first man back does not nullify the first man's karma, though it could perhaps give the first man the experience of seeing love in action or in the sense that it may at least give him pause for thought and this would be consequence in action, but not nullification.

The first man's karma would not be nullified or even changed very much until he, through personal experience, was able to make different choices that would promote a different way of being, thinking, acting that created different patterns than what he had previously created.

In other words, all of our reactions are a reflection of our accumulated karma (patterns developed within personal consciousness) and the only one that can change / nullify negative karma is our self.  We do that by making different choices about how we feel, think, act, and eventually we change our karmic patterns, our consciousness.  No one can do that for us because each of us is responsible for the creation of our own karma/consciousness.  Certainly we can and do learn from our interactions with each other, still, only we can ultimately change ourselves at the being level.

K

IP Logged

seagull

ALK Member

land sea sky
Reply #39 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 3:29pm

Here is another scenario (a true story). A woman is angry with a man and punches him in the stomach in the middle of a crowded dance hall. He is angry back at her and breaks up with her "forever" after making sure she knows exactly how angry he is. Years later the woman reunites with the man. She becomes angry again one day and begins to attempt to punch him in the stomach for precisely the same reason as her earlier action in her life.

An actual energetic force beyond her control or imagination turns her physically around so that her punch lands directly behind her as a loud slap on the wall. It is like something out of The Matrix and beyond her skill level physically. It is as if there is an invisible barrier there and she is forcefully turned around.

The man announces that he has never loved anyone more than her.

I don't know how karma works in this scenario but it sure is a memorable moment. Forgiveness is a two-way street, is all I can say. Smiley

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #40 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 7:26am

My own experiences with karma show it to be much more of a general action/reaction than some may think.  We attract to us that which we put out there.  Love, kindness anger, hate.  I do not see people immediately suffering the exact same fate after they act cruelly.  Rather, their hateful action leads to consequences which bring more misery and hate into their own lives.  I do not believe there is a cosmic justice system at play here or a "judging."  It just is.   We are, I believe, meant to see that thought = action = manifestation in the physical world.  It can be a deeply moving spiritual evolution for those who recognize the process.  Or, it can be an endless cycle of negativity without any understanding of what is going on. 

M

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 10:04am

Karma (consequences) may or may not manifest during one physical lifetime.

However, that is the purpose of the life review.  That is the ultimate karma.  We not only see the hurt we inflicted on others but we actually experience it as well.  If that's not karma, what is?

There was a story recently in local news about a mother who accidentally ran over her infant child as she was backing down the driveway.  If she believed in karma, what a nightmare she is facing.  Did she do something so horrible that she has to face the life long agony of having caused the death of her innocent child?  Or did the child do something in a past life that the consequence was him losing his own life?

To me, a hard and fast belief in karma can lead to untold heartache.  We all will face a life review, and at that time we will experience both the joy we brought to others as well as the hurt.

In the meantime, looking for reasons why something happens to us is really a pointless exercise.

R

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #42 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 11:21am

Hi Roger,

It has been my experience that there are random events and energies we constantly interact with each day.  An accident can be and often is simply be an accident.  To my way of thinking, karma can not be simplified to giving a direct immediate response to every action.  So an accidental killing, etc. does not, in my opinion generate negative karma, nor is it necessarily "payback."  It is the intent combined with the action that seems to change probabilities and generate circumstances in our lives.

A tsunami kills on occasion over 100,000 people within hours in Indonesia.  The idea that each and every person who was killed "deserved" that or "chose" that death is patently absurd.  It was a force of nature.  It was not generated with intent.  In short, it fell outside of the laws of karma. 

I think that with introspection, while we are alive we can all trace our thoughts and actions and see how we got to our current life circumstance.  I don't think all of us require a life review or get one, but I just don't know. 

M

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 12:28pm

<<It is the intent combined with the action that seems to change probabilities and generate circumstances in our lives.>>

I agree Matthew.  My point was that the average person who believes in Karma may not understand that distinction, and therefore may think that every negative thing that happens must be because of something they did in the past. 

It also can have unintended consequences.  We've probably all heard of how, in India, beggars are ignored on the basis that they are just experiencing the consequences of past actions and it's not appropriate to interfere with karma. 

Maybe so, maybe not.  Sometimes I wonder if those who ignore beggars might find themselves in similar circumstances at some future point.  Kind of ironic when you think of it.

R

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.