Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My objections with reincarnation and karma! (Read 19892 times)

Re: My objections with reincarnation and karma!
Reply #15 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 4:11am

Karma means consequence, that is all.

Consequence is what happens as a result of freewill.

There is physical consequence, emotional consequence, mental consequence; long term and short term consequence; individual, mutual, group, social, national and racial consequence; foreseeable and unforeseeable consequence.

Look around the room, at yourself, at the world, all that we see is either consequence or freewill exerting itself to create further consequence, and doing so either consciously or naively. Freewill and consequence, that is all there is, whether on mental, emotional or physical levels.

Why think and speak in foreign terms and confuse ourselves when we have words and thoughts in our own language with which our brains are wired?
Debating such foreign terms tends to make people look like pseudo-spiritual-intellectuals, stumbling about while missing the obvious.

If we would understand karma then we should not study it, but rather, study the law of consequence. For already and deeply, we understand consequence, for its understanding is already deep and back within our mental wiring. We then need only expand our understanding of it. 

As for learning from consequence - we may forget the occasion that we made that choice and exerted our freewill in that direction and experienced the consequences thereof, but we don't forget the re-arrangement of our values that our experience of consequence produced, and our values dictate our reflexive thinking, emotions and behaviour, so the lesson is fixed, whether we recall it or not.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 3:17am

1796 wrote on Jun 8th, 2014 at 4:11am:
Karma means consequence, that is all.

Consequence is what happens as a result of freewill.

There is physical consequence, emotional consequence, mental consequence; long term and short term consequence; individual, mutual, group, social, national and racial consequence; foreseeable and unforeseeable consequence.

Look around the room, at yourself, at the world, all that we see is either consequence or freewill exerting itself to create further consequence, and doing so either consciously or naively. Freewill and consequence, that is all there is, whether on mental, emotional or physical levels.

Why think and speak in foreign terms and confuse ourselves when we have words and thoughts in our own language with which our brains are wired?
Debating such foreign terms tends to make people look like pseudo-spiritual-intellectuals, stumbling about while missing the obvious.

If we would understand karma then we should not study it, but rather, study the law of consequence. For already and deeply, we understand consequence, for its understanding is already deep and back within our mental wiring. We then need only expand our understanding of it. 

As for learning from consequence - we may forget the occasion that we made that choice and exerted our freewill in that direction and experienced the consequences thereof, but we don't forget the re-arrangement of our values that our experience of consequence produced, and our values dictate our reflexive thinking, emotions and behaviour, so the lesson is fixed, whether we recall it or not.

Hi I agree with you on this, we all face consequences both for our good actions, which can lead to prosperity and bad action or decisions that can lead to disaster.

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 4:12am

Hi Alan,
What do you think about everything being interconnected, and cyclic/spiralic, including our personality with all our thoughts, emotions and behaviour (what we think being what we tend to think again and then again, and emotions and behaviour follow), so that like a whirl pool we are, our freewilled self the initiator in the middle, struggling to control the circulating mental, emotional and behavioural currents of our own surrounding makeup. And with those circulating currents come the consequences of having set them into motion, having to deal with them and the repercussions and entanglements they drag back with them, on all levels of our being, mental, emotional and physical, all teaching us the lessons of the currents that we initiate.

cb

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #18 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 6:51am

1796 wrote on Jun 11th, 2014 at 4:12am:
Hi Alan,
What do you think about everything being interconnected, and cyclic/spiralic, including our personality with all our thoughts, emotions and behaviour (what we think being what we tend to think again and then again, and emotions and behaviour follow), so that like a whirl pool we are, our freewilled self the initiator in the middle, struggling to control the circulating mental, emotional and behavioural currents of our own surrounding makeup. And with those circulating currents come the consequences of having set them into motion, having to deal with them and the repercussions and entanglements they drag back with them, on all levels of our being, mental, emotional and physical, all teaching us the lessons of the currents that we initiate.

cb

The interconnectivity of all conscious sentient entities has been an idea I have likes for a long time. I see us as separate molecules, in the great creative ocean of the divine source and leave it to each of us to give it a title the deem fit. I like almighty God, or the Uncaused Cause.

Thus, by existing within this great ocean we affect it by our actions and it affects us by the action of other molecules within it, like ripples in a great pound.

All the Best Alan   
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2014 at 4:17pm by Alan McDougall »  

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 8:44am

Yes, the ocean is an apt analogy.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #20 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 4:17pm

Alan McDougall wrote on Jun 11th, 2014 at 6:51am:
1796 wrote on Jun 11th, 2014 at 4:12am:
Hi Alan,

cb

The interconnectivity of all conscious sentient entities has been an idea I have liked for a long time. I see us as separate molecules, in the great creative ocean of the divine source and leave it to each of us to give it a title the deem fit. I like almighty God, or the Uncaused Cause.

Thus, by existing within this great ocean we affect it by our actions and it affects us by the action of other molecules within it, like ripples in a great pound.

All the Best Alan   

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #21 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 7:43am

Biker_Chick wrote on Jun 12th, 2014 at 12:57am:
Hey Alan. Nice to see you back, and I'm sure that you'll cope with being in the twilight of your physical life..We all, men and women[99%]pass over into Spirit and the Afterlife, at the age of 70's to 80's in first world countries. I know you're in your 70's, so I wish you ascendance into the higher Afterlife when it's time for your passing. Much Love. Biker_Chick   

Thanks you lady, assuming you are a young lady re you atavar.

Love

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 4:59am

Why has Biker Chick's post been deleted?

crossbow

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jun 27th, 2014 at 8:40am

Biker_Chick wrote on Jun 27th, 2014 at 12:56am:
1796 wrote on Jun 13th, 2014 at 4:59am:
Why has Biker Chick's post been deleted?

crossbow

Hey! Thanks for the concern! It seems like this Alan dude likes to try to get people barred for not acknowledging his insanity, and DID and MPD mental disorders(google it up), as the raves and rants of some undiscovered genius. His last paragraph below in the link, shows he's just a retired 'blue collar' worker(Fitter and Turner)with serious mental and emotional problems. No doubt he'll delete this post of his, just like all the self-incriminating, spaced out blabber, he posted over the years in many forums.  http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2364         

It wasn't concern, it was a prompt to bring forth openness. 

There is a human tendency to hate most in others what we are battling against within our self or have only recently overcome. That is an attitudinal trap though, and our awareness of that trap can help us avoid it.

The DIDs and other PDs need not be life long debilitations; they are manageable and even curable. But there must first be recognition of the existence of the problem by the afflicted individual. Then even with acknowledgement of the problem it can still be difficult to overcome due to the sense of satisfaction the problem provides to the afflicted individual, even though the satisfaction is an unhealthy one. Most PDs are a form of addiction to an outlook that is unreal or out of true perspective, and the subsequent thinking and behaviour becomes maladjusted. 

Therefor, as well as self-honesty, there is required an adjustment of values and perspective. From there, thought, feelings and behaviour can settle into improved patterns.   

Personality disorders can cause much suffering and limitation to the individual, and to those around them as well. As humans, our freewill is not easy to wield, and our mind and personality is not an easy thing to control, even when the mind and personality is healthy and reasonably well adjusted. Anyone can lose perspective and develop mental-emotional illness or a personality disorder. In fact to some degree we are all such afflicted because no one has a continuously perfectly adjusted perspective. Those who's minds and personalities give them great struggle and conflict and even render them ill are not more than a step or two away from where the healthy minded stand. So easily anyone can go off the rails, so to speak, and struggle to find their way back to a healthier outlook and path. The key to a healthy mind is the heart. Like the physical heart nourishes the brain, so the heart centre nourishes the mind, although it is the head that directs the heart - the two work together.         

There are medications that can take the edge off a personality disorder and weaken its energy/impulses so as to make it easier for the individual to control the condition. And counselling/therapy can help - providing the therapist has sufficient understanding which unfortunately is often not the case, so shopping around can be required. And potentially the most helpful therapy is self help peer support programs, which naturally vary from organisation to organisation and from one group to another. The twelve step mental health programs are probably the best I think. They are modelled on the AA model but modified to suit mental disorders, including PDs. Much progress can be made through involvement in such groups.   
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2014 at 12:58am by 1796 »  

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jun 29th, 2014 at 2:56am

Biker_Chick wrote on Jun 29th, 2014 at 12:46am:
http://able2know.org/topic/149302-1
Another one of his mentally stable posts!? 2007 and 2009. There was a 2012 copy of this post, in a scientific post forum, which he deleted when moderators and members questioned his sanity.

That link is an excellent personal and first hand description of true mania, by a person with excellent insight into his condition.

I say true mania because what is normally and popularly termed mania or manic is actually not, it is hypomania meaning low level mania, (hypo means low; hyper means high) and is the high energy swing that alternates with depression in the manic-depressive or bipolar individual. The reason the high energy swing of bipolar is called the hypomanic phase (low manic phase) is due to its comparison with true mania which is a far higher and more dangerous state of mania. True mania, when not treated, often ends in death.   

What the author of that article, Alan McDougall, describes, is a first hand account of true mania, which is a condition that few people are aware exists, unless they have experienced it, observed it in family members, or have worked in extreme areas of the psychiatric fields.   

From his description in the article, he was fortunate to have survived through his life with the condition, and more fortunate to have acquired the insight into the condition that he has. I imagine him to be an extraordinarily resilient and insightful individual. He is a man who's hand I would like to shake, for I admire those who struggle with themselves. They understand where lies the true task in life.

Words evident thought. And sure, he still has episodes of mild low level mania, as is evident in bouts of long and rambling posts. But he recognises that inclination and endeavours to control it.

With polite and friendly reminders from other forum users that he is posting too often and too long or rambling, he always re-assess himself and reins himself in.

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #25 - Jun 29th, 2014 at 9:03pm

I, for one am not the least bit interested in poster's researching someone's personal or psychiatric history.  This is an open public forum, and to get so involved in digging up "dirt," on another poster is disparaging and mean-spirited.  And, well rather boring.  It also has nothing to do with the topic (My objections with reincarnation and Karma).  Let me say that again; it has nothing to with the topic. 

If anyone, including Alan, or others such as Carl/Karmalars/?Bikerchick posts something I find over-the-top, I usually won't respond to the thread.  Others do the same, and it gets buried in the flow.  No reason to get into personal slights or insults.  Having a psychiatric history of an illness does not disqualify anything a person will ever say.  What, am I supposed to nod my head and say "ah yes, a history of mania, well his posts should be ignored?"  Nonsense.  And yet, we have posts like the last few!

Forums like this really pop when everyone is chiming in on what they think about an issue.  You get different perspectives, and most people like that.  Threads end up getting offensive and uninteresting when some mean-spirited person starts attacking another poster's character, intelligence, etc. without addressing the main topic of conversation.  Most of the time, this is done anonymously and has nothing to do with any topic of the afterlife. 

I'm of the "live and let live school," and initially I was against the idea of banning anybody from a website.  I've come around now, thanks to repeated offenders who poison the well here.  If you don't like a particular poster, then leave the thread alone.  If you have a point to make about the topic (reincarnation and karma), please let us know.  If you insult or disparage people directly, I am all for you being banned.  There is enough pollution in cyberspace.  To tolerate it for no good end would be insane.

M

IP Logged

Bruce Moen
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Biker Chick is Gone
Reply #26 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 9:16am

Biker Chick has been banned for violating Posting Guidelines.

The Peer Moderator system is an anonymous system that doesn't let me see the screen names of those who report posts as violating guidelines.  So, I want to thank those of you who used the system to report Biker Chick posts.  On my end looks like another incarnation of Carl (who was banned also)

Thanks again for using the Peer Moderator form to call attention to this problem.

Bruce

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 7:42am

In a sense that's consequence, what some call karma.

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #28 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 11:18am

I agree, 1796.  And I think karma may be more a fundamental law of nature, like gravity.  It simply is.  Reincarnation, if it exists, would by necessity interact with karma.  The real issue of discussion (as I see it) is the notion of fatalism (the pre-destination of things) related to karma, vs. free-will (the idea that we always have the ability to plot a new course). 

To my way of thinking, karma is a knee-jerk reaction of action and consequence.  It is not "thought out," in that it just occurs.  The thinking person can either ignore it, but watch the consequences of their actions reappear again and again.  Then, in my opinion, when the person is ready, they can use their free will to chart a new course of action. 

Fatalistic thinking is a fearful thought process that assumes that we have no control of our fate or destiny, and that a person who commits horrible crimes in this life must be punished by being the receiver of the same acts in another (or burning in hellfire, etc.).  Pre-determined fate doesn't suit me.  Life presents us too many examples where we learn from our mistakes and see things differently and make amends. 

M

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 7:33am

DocM wrote on Jul 2nd, 2014 at 11:18am:

The real issue of discussion (as I see it) is the notion of fatalism (the pre-destination of things) related to karma, vs. free-will (the idea that we always have the ability to plot a new course). 
M

Freewill and the law of consequence do not oppose each other, they work together in perfect harmony.

Every decision has consequences which form a ring of limitation around freewill which corrals freewill. Freewill can venture anywhere within that ring and in any direction within that ring out to its border, for the length of time that the ring lasts. The decisions that freewill makes within that ring dictate the direction of the next ring, and so freewill then crosses the boundary into the confinement of the next ring, and so on, ring after ring. This is the thread of freewill and the chain of consequence. The thread and the chain advance or meander together; the thread advancing with each decision within the rings of limitation forming around it as it advances. Thus each decision is limited by the consequences of previous decisions, but freewill is always free to go in any direction it chooses, but always surrounded by the consequences of its previous decisions.

cb   

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.