Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My objections with reincarnation and karma! (Read 19875 times)
Alan McDougall

South Africa
My objections with reincarnation and karma!
Apr 29th, 2014 at 4:00am

Hi All

I believe the religious idea of Karma and Reincarnation are illogical and nonsensical and l list my objections this belief below.

1) Karma is a belief that a person has to live many lives and improve in each until they finally become an ascended master and finally lose self-awareness into the mindless soup of the cosmic mind.

2) Alternatively, one chooses ones own next life from the spiritual plane in order to learn something in the next. What the heck did Hitler come to learn?

3) It is claimed by some variants of this illogical belief that one might have to live sometimes millions of lives before becoming perfect to escape the cycle of birth and rebirth and find enlightenment.

4) I insist that we only live once and it is during this life where we learn our lessons or repeat the mistakes until we have overcome them or die it we don't.

5) Karma says that a soul must live many mortal lives to reach perfection. Thus humanity must undergo countless incarnation from an insect or bad human until one finally becomes an enlightened master.

6) One thus, must start out as a lowly life form such as a cockroach or garden Lilly and finally, after countless millions of years progress to become human.

7) For the life of me how does a bad cockroach or garden Lilly become a "good cockroach or garden Lilly"?

8) This belief if it where not so tragic would be very funny indeed.

9) Karma says that if we have a weakness or fault in this life, we must return be reborn, again and again in order overcome our failings in the previous in the next life, or horrors upon horrors if we are very bad, maybe even revert to been a cockroach again. Thus Hitler is most likely now existing as a baffled little cockroach, because he was very bad indeed!

10) Therefore, any suffering we have to endure in this life, be it cancer, aids, all other sicknesses poverty, etc, etc is our own fault due to the evil or bad things we did in our past life. This is a cruel belief as many saintly people suffer and die in the most horrific manner. What soul would choose to be a Jew in the Second World War and see their beloved's torn from them in the holocaust and consumed in the ovens of Hitler's death camps?

10a) The above is one of the excuses fundamentalist Reincarnation and karma believers, will ignore and step over a sick poverty strickened dying person. Thank God for the 10b) Sadly the Mother Teresa's of this world who are so few and far between. After all these sick people in the gutters of filth have only themselves to blame because of their supposed depraved previous lives.

11) The above paragraphs show that Karma is nonsensical. Again I stress why for the life of me can a person be punished over and over again sometimes terribly, for some wrong doing in a previous life of which they have absolutely no memory of?  In my own case I have suffered terribly in this life with various illnesses and physical assaults. If reincarnation and karma are true, then I stand back baffled as to why, surly I deserve an explanation?.

12.) Another view favored by spiritualists and modern day channellers is that between lives we sit in some other dimensions and decide exactly what kind of life we choose be born into be it beggar, thief, rich person or what ever. Therefore, our fate is decided by ourselves, what nonsense.

13) What then about souls like Hitler, Stalin, Nero,Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Darhma and all the other hideously evil and numerous depraved people living on earth  at this very moment? Did they look down from some inter-life zone and deliberately choose a life of depravity and evil and what they could learn by their terrible acts of cruelty? Do they degenerate further and further through each life as they are totally depraved without any redeeming good qualities what so ever, finally becoming a one cell virus?. Surely, this type of person deserves judgment and eternal punishment, not escape into karma?

14) If we look at the statistics of the out of control world population growth, we see a huge increase in the total world population, which is already a frightening 7 billion and growing faster and faster by the day. Where are all these people coming from? If karma were true, surely people should be reaching perfection and escaping the cycle of life and the worlds population decreasing. Not so?

15). Again, if karma where true we should be observing just the reverse. With more and more people becoming better and better and finally everyone reaching enlightenment and escaping the relentless birth and rebirth emptying the world of humanity, which might be a good thing at that.

16) Although people are no more evil now than they were in the past (middle age horrors as an example), they are also no better, if we read our daily newspaper or listen to the news on the electronic media.

17) We just have to read up on the mechanized world wars of the past century and see the awful weapons humanity has developed and continue to develop to kill one another, with more and more sophisticated tools of death. Where is Karma in all of this? How does the atomic bomb fit into all of this

18). Where are all these enlightened masters? There seems to me so few in these latter days. Please could you name just one living exalted, enlightened, master for me?

19) In my opinion a person I would call an enlightened master in present times was the late "Mother Teresa" and she did definitely not believe in the law of Karma but believed and practiced active altruistic love caring and charity nearly all the years of her long life. To those deprived people on the sidewalks of life, that the Karma believers step over in disgust

20) If the law of karma were true, why are we still having more and more conflicts and wars all over the planet, instead of peace?

21)What about the claims of some people that they have memories from past lives? These are implanted false memories placed there by the hypnotist. They could also be leaks into our brains as encoded within the colossal D.N.A. molecule where I believe racial memories could be stored. Perhaps these ghosts of memories could perhaps leak into the conscious mind of some people who then believe they are remembering past lives.

22) Another fact that, has been proven, is forgotten childhood memories that are remembered in the case of trauma or under hypnoses.

23) My personal search for the truth about reincarnation is that there has never been even one proved indisputable past life memory in anyone. All could/were explained rationally.

24.) My own personal view on Karma and past life regression is that I hope this awful concept is not true. Who wants to live earthly mortal repeatedly?

25) Anyway, 99.999999999+++ of people just like me have absolutely zero, absolutely no memories, of any past life, and I believe those that say have memories are either deluded, illusional or lying.

26) In addition, if I lived in the past and have no recollection of that life, the person I was then is truly dead. And if I incarnate into another person, and have no memory of my present existence, then when I die I cease to exist and someone else takes my place.

27) I believe I exist now because years ago my beloved parents decided (Not me) to make love. I am sure I did not choose this life and am positive it is the only life I have ever had. What comes after, if anything remains an enigma to me and to everyone else on earth?

28.) I therefore reject the concept of karma as a potentially cruel false belief and nonsense to any logically rationally thinking person.

Alan McDougall

©Copyright Alan Grant McDougall 2007

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: My objections with reincarnation and karma!
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 7:47am

Hi Alan,

I think of Karma a bit differently than you do.  Karma to me is simply Newton's law of motion; "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction," applied on the spiritual side.  It is not fatalism.  It is not a logical thinking sentence imposed by outside forces. 

So, yes, when you hear "what comes around goes around," or people getting their "just deserts" usually implies that this law is in motion.  Karma is part of the law of Attraction.  It is a beautiful system in some ways, perfectly suited to spiritual evolution, if we are open to examining our motivations and our lives.  We bring into our life our deepest thoughts that our bound to our beliefs (convictions).  When we harm another, or harbor ill will, we allow those thoughts to take root deep in our consciousness.  And the seed that takes root is generally a bad karmic outcome. 

For me, the purpose of karma is to make us all aware of love, and the nature of the process itself.  Choose your thoughts, and be mindful of your actions.  Live by the golden rule, and peace and harmony must follow, as night follows day. 

A man/woman is only bound by karma when he or she lives mindlessly and selfishly.  Once you are aware of the process and the learning mechanism, I believe you can free yourself of the "karmic wheel." 

Matthew

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 11:20am

Going along with what Matthew stated, balancing karma means learning what you have not learned in life experiences of the past that still affect your life in a negative way now.  It does not mean punishment for misdeeds.  Negative karma, at its root, is the result of fearful intent.  Learning to dispel our fears is the way to heal any karmic patterns we've developed.  As we live our lives we will continually create situations in which we are confronted with our past karma, which usually causes us a great deal of pain due to our fears and beliefs.  Each time we face a karmic situation we have the opportunity to clear any fears or misconceptions thereby changing or even freeing ourselves from any karmic pattern.

Karma has to do with cause and effect.  It is simply life circumstances or events coming to us as a result of our past choices.  How these events affect us is completely based on how we experience them through our belief systems.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 11:33am

Hi Matthew,

Of course just because I dislike a concept and do not believe it to be true, will not alter the real truth of the matter, whatever it is. We will have to die maybe to find out?

----------------------------------------------

Below is my response for what it is worth Matthew

To grow or learn anything we must know exactly what we did right and what we did wrong.

To lose your self identity over and over again and being/been punished and expected to learn lessons from a previous existence of which you have absolutely zero memory of, makes no sense whatsoever to me.

It is just another way of dying repeatedly, each time having no recollection of who you were before and expected to learn from the mistakes of another person, who you were in reality in your previous life.

I know who I am in this mortal life and will work off any karma negativity in this life, simply because I am aware of what I did wrong during my present existence. At present my identity is Alan and I know that persons life history, good and bad factors and attributes, simply because I have occupied this body all my life. Thus I can correct my mistakes during this lifetime. I do believe in a form of karma, but think we work it off in our present existence. If we don't we repeat the mistake repeatedly until we have learned our lesson, or we die.

I have this concept of Karma during our present lives I designate it under the C1C2C3 as indicated below.

You are living a bad life Karma comes into play with the first test lesson below in phase C1.

C1 = Your must change your life for the better! Or the second C2 comes into play.

C2= You repeat the lessons or mistakes repeatedly and cycle back and forwards between C2 and C1 until you pass all the trails and lessons of this life.

If you get stuck on one lesson during phase C2 such as an addition to some dangerous drug and totally fail this test of life, you will move into the final phase of C3.

C3 = The casket you die.

Recap

C1 = Change learn for the good/better

C2 = Repeat lessons pass, go back to C1 and pass next lesson and cycle between C1 AND C2.

C2 fail lesson test completely go to C3.

C3 =You die casket.

Reincarnation and karma, to me in like maybe obtaining a university degree in the now and here. But in the next life that degree will mean absolutely nothing because I can not remember what I was taught. So when I get reborn as a baby in a new body and new life with zero memories I must relearn everything I have forgotten in my past life.

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

DocM

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 2:37pm

Hi Alan,

I guess you and I will have to disagree.  My concept of karma is completely different than yours.  So much so, that it is like we are talking about different topics.  I don't see karma as some enforced "life lesson." There is no such thing as getting it right.  It is an equal and opposite reaction to a thought/intenton/action we take, either in a loving way, or in an unloving way.   Karma is a reflex, unthinking, just like gravity. 

But you are welcome to interpret it any way you wish.

Best,

Matthew

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 6:40pm

Then Matthew,

What is the purpose of Karma, if like you say it is an impersonal force like gravity, then why even mention it? "What ever will be will be" (Like the Song).

Thus, we have no control over our destiny, just think right and do the best you can and both your legacy and destiny is automatically worked out by said force. Don't you think that God might have an interest in us after all we are part of his creation?

Best regards

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 6:44pm

Perhaps to some degree it is a matter of responsibility rather than punishment. If we mess something up we feel responsible for cleaning it.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 11:53pm

Alan, Karma has no purpose.  It simply "is."  I think part of the confusion here is the notion that karma is linked to mindless reincarnation.  Or that it occurs as some sort of divine punishment.  From my perspective, this is not true.

Karma is just a spiritual law.  What you put out there comes back at you.  What you deeply believe, thoughts that are bound to conviction, are then tied to manifestations of future events in your life.  There is no punishment here.  It is something we can all see in our own lives with introspection and honesty.  Once appreciated, we can use the laws of Karma to grow in love and spirituality.   Free from egoistic thinking, and fear (as Kathy mentions), we can get off the Karma train entirely. 

Reincarnation, to me is another matter.  It is not at all clear how often it occurs, and what choice is involved.  In general, free will seems to be the rule here, in the earth plane.  I see no reason this would be different without a body.  I believe that those who choose to come back would be tied to the material world, and the ego in some way.  They feel a separation from everything else.  But I'd like to think that if the decision does occur to reincarnate, it is a willing choice.

Matthew

IP Logged

chrwe

ALK Member

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:59am

As far as I've learned, if you look at the understanding of Karma through the religions and history, there is not one concept but many. Same with reincarnation. For example, tibetan buddhist believe karma to be something different from zen buddhist and they believe something different from hindus ...and so on. And even in the groups there will be a wide variation of concepts, the concepts evolve and get added to or dropped.

I think we are free to form our own concept. Mine is similar to Matthews, by the way, because it conforms to what we see in nature and even in quantum physics - what is observed/believed may happen and what happens is influenced by prior actions or inactions plus our thoughts. I find it easy to think the afterlife will be the same. Hopefully, there will be free will involved.

Also, it seems to me it is very logical there should be a spiritual evolution in the same way that there is evolution otherwise. So maybe we get a range of choices depending on what we do with our lives and, more imporantly, with our souls and the souls of the beings around us? This, in my opinion, fits in with what most monotheistic religions seem to think as well, if you look at the core of things without all the embellishments. We are told no one knows what heaven is like, arent we  Wink

All other things, especially just pure curel randomness, are too awful for me to believe in, so I choose not to^^

IP Logged

seagull

ALK Member

land sea sky
Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 10:21am

I caution anyone who might take from these conversations that something they have thought or done has brought a miserable circumstance on themselves. That is not always true. However, a person can always improve their circumstances by focusing on positive and constructive thoughts and actions. That does not mean it is wrong to have sorrowful feelings or to need to move gradually through personal grief or anger. Life is a process.

The only person we truly have any control over is our own self. Therefore, we can choose how we respond. However, it may take time to practice.

This is where I believe affirmations can be helpful -- positive meditations, etc. It is helpful to practice positive and constructive thoughts, which are the purpose of such aids.

There are a multitude of these free resources online on youtube, so you can choose what you like best. They range from 5 minutes in length to longer ones you can listen to while drifting off to sleep or having a rest.

We are saturated with negative thoughts and images and belief systems by media sources, other people, our past, etc., so sometimes all it takes to restore balance is to allow some positive and hopeful thoughts to saturate our minds instead.

This does not have to take a long time, no matter what anyone says about doing something for 30 days or practicing somesuch for your entire life.

I apologize in advance if these thoughts are ridiculously obvious.... Smiley

IP Logged

usetawuz

ALK Member

ne fla
Reply #10 - May 15th, 2014 at 11:36am

To me, karma is like a default balancing device, along the lines of Matthew's cause and effect.  Our actions cause an imbalance and the pendulum swings back the other way to rectify the balance.  I don't see it as retributional or linked to reincarnation, but again, like Matthew, it just "is"...

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #11 - May 16th, 2014 at 10:02am

usetawuz wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 11:36am:
To me, karma is like a default balancing device, along the lines of Matthew's cause and effect.  Our actions cause an imbalance and the pendulum swings back the other way to rectify the balance.  I don't see it as retributional or linked to reincarnation, but again, like Matthew, it just "is"...

During this life yes, but not carried over into the afterlife.

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

DocM

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2014 at 11:45am

Alan,

Why would Karma be any different on any spiritual plane before or after death?  What you put out in spirit is manifest in your world.  Sometimes, more immediately right after death.  If it is an operational law, it likely operates in all planes of existence.  "As above, so below."

IP Logged

usetawuz

ALK Member

ne fla
Reply #13 - May 23rd, 2014 at 1:06pm

I guess my current view of the initial posit is why object?  My working theory of the topics to which you object are not in line with your points from a theoretical or a personal experiential standpoint, but I don't object to your belief in them.  What I find objectionable is a hard and fast decision that something currently and absolutely unverifiable should be the subject of definitive opinions of valid and invalid...though even my level of objection to that abstract idea is minimal at best...and since no one has dropped a line on here for a few weeks, I felt it fitting and proper to do so.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #14 - May 24th, 2014 at 5:21am

usetawuz wrote on May 23rd, 2014 at 1:06pm:
I guess my current view of the initial posit is why object?  My working theory of the topics to which you object are not in line with your points from a theoretical or a personal experiential standpoint, but I don't object to your belief in them.  What I find objectionable is a hard and fast decision that something currently and absolutely unverifiable should be the subject of definitive opinions of valid and invalid...though even my level of objection to that abstract idea is minimal at best...and since no one has dropped a line on here for a few weeks, I felt it fitting and proper to do so.

A bit convoluted at best? Ambiguous, what's your point?

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.