Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Interesting Physical Mediumship Development (Read 3695 times)
heisenberg69

England
Interesting Physical Mediumship Development
Mar 28th, 2014 at 4:59am

One of the attractions of physical mediumship as afterlife evidence for me is that the best of  it is so 'in your face' that objections laid against other evidence such as 'perceptual error' or 'lucky guesses' simply don't apply. This narrows it down to two possibilities : a) genuine paranormality is taking place b) fraud is taking place. This means that if b) can be eliminated then a) applies. As I have mentioned before I have found the Scole events to be genuinely persuasive due to several reasons such as the length of the happenings and the number and seriousness of the sitters attending the séances over the years. However, one criticism of Scole has been that the phenomena weren't produced under watertight laboratory conditions.

Which is why I'm interested to learn of Stephen Braude's three year investigation of Kai Muegge's mediumship from http://felixcircle.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/sse-pre-publishes-first-papers-about..... According to the website : 'Kai underwent a protocol of rigid controls that is usually rejected by todays working Physical Mediums (working in a 'seance room lab' with regular strip searches, permanent observation, no regular sitters, low light and infrared filming, permanent touch resp. holding control during the course of the seance by scientists and m.m.)'After half a year of peer-reviewing the Society for Scientific Exploration has pre-published 2 of 3 papers about their investigation of the Physical Phenomena which include 'knocks rap from walls and ceilings, tables float through the room, strange lights and illuminated mists travel alongside the sitters, 'spirit visitors' footsteps are being heard walking through the room, ectoplasm appears in huge quantities and takes in front of the sitters different forms, like hands, faces, animal or pet-like ...'.

I am not sure if anything will convince a closed-minded skeptic (no control can ever be tight enough) but for the vast majority of people who are open-minded skeptics could this be objective evidence of the afterlife (or maybe superpsi if you prefer)?

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Interesting Physical Mediumship Development
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2014 at 9:50am

The issue I have with conjurers tricks, is that they rely on you to use your sense in the physical world to verify that which is beyond your physical senses.  Terms such as ectoplasm, raps and foot steps were invented during a prolific era of seances, and multiple ingenious ways of faking it have been documented.  Professional magicians can absolutely convince you that they are doing one and the same, and invite their methods to be tested. 

You are using the medium (conjurer) to explore for you - which is really not direct knowledge or knowing.  It is, by nature indirect.  The idea that a physical manifestation is more convincing is merely a manifestation of a belief system in which we validate physical reality as the "real" reality, eventhough it is a subset of what TC calls NPMR  - non physical reality.  LIke in a Venn diagram. 

I for one would be amused my ghostly footsteps, or a levitation, and I would be interested in figuring out the trick.  If my deceased mother was going to communicate with me, I guarantee that it would not be with levitating a table. 

There were several gurus who used to materialize black ash in India out of thin air and trinkets as a sign of their divinity.  Sai Baba was a guru who would go out into the masses and as a sign he was divine, he would make it seem that he materialized ash, watches, etc. to the public.  He was revered and almost worhipped.  In this video, some of the tricks/scams were shown on camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwOecpMkHH0

Yet the public swore it was real.  I am impressed if the tests are being conducted with scientific rigor.  Yet people may be misled, and I think the focus on the physical may be the wrong thing.  How do we break through our limiting belief systems; by reinforcing them with proof of the primacy of the physical world, or shattering them with being open minded about the non-physical world?

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Re: Interesting Physical Mediumship Development
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2014 at 5:54am

Hi Doc,

'How do we break through our limiting belief systems; by reinforcing them with proof of the primacy of the physical world, or shattering them with being open minded about the non-physical world?'

From my perspective I don't see it as either a choice between one approach or the other but one approach complimenting another; in this case apparent physical mediumship may help challenge the physical-based reality deemed to be the only one by mainstream science and thus support non-physical exploration. I get your point that we should be wary of an approach which says unless it moves in the physical world it doesn't count. But I think if physical mediumship really exists (and is not just a conjuring trick) it is important not to ignore it just because it doesn't currently fit in with one's world view.

What raised my interest with this research is that it may appeal to the 'floating voter' as it were i.e. the honest,open-minded skeptic who just doesn't know what to think. A James 'I always have an out' Randi type figure would be unaffected because no protocol could ever be tight enough or on the other side of the coin someone already versed in non-physicality requires no such evidence anyway.

Regarding fraud and mediumship I would recommend Robert McLuhan's Randi’s Prize: 'What sceptics say about the paranormal, why they are wrong and why it matters' as a balanced appraisal. What I like about this book is that McLuhan honestly charts the see-sawing of his beliefs as he works his way through the parapsychologists' work and their skeptics.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.