Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Paul Selig (Read 21081 times)
seagull

ALK Member

land sea sky
Re: Paul Selig
Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2014 at 3:51pm

re: Grease lyrics
Love it, Lucy. I was just watching a youtube video from that movie a few weeks ago. My senior year in high school. Brings back good memories.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2014 at 5:07pm by seagull »  

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #16 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 11:03am

Quote:
I briefly lived with a woman (roommate) who had some eyesight and medical problems.  She was towards the New Agey in orientation and beliefs.   One time, i saw her very upset and crying about her problems, and she kept repeating an affirmation over and over again.  Basically it was about already being healed.

It didn't change her reality or her condition(s).  She had same for deeper reasons related to growth towards Christ Consciousness. 

Not sure what I think of this wrt affirmations. Maybe there are better or worse ways to use affirmations. Maybe no one ever showed your friend the better ways.

Like for instance if someone knew how to use EFT techniques, what would that change wrt how well the affirmations work? I'm not saying there is a quick way to develop Christ Conciousness or spiritual maturity, maybe the things that make affirmations work better are on the path to CC.

EFT works to affect my body in a positive way when it responds with anxiety. I won't advocate it for all the uses that have come into play with EFT, but if your friend had known EFT, it might have helped soothe her.

For anyone not familiar with the technique, here is a basic form of it. It has been picked up and used for so many things, and if someone is interested in exploring that, go for it but I won't advocate or criticize all that. But anyone can pick up the basic technique for free. Here is one place:

http://www.eft-alive.com/how-to-do-EFT.html

related link

http://www.eft-alive.com/eft-therapy.html

people report interesting results using this...not achieving CC overnight!....but maybe some smaller steps are made.

Maybe his videos still work...I'm in the library and alot of things are not working here, but I'll give the link anyway

http://www.eft-alive.com/eft-videos.html

I feel bad for your friend that her affirmations did not work then.

IP Logged

a channel
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 9:00pm

Thank you for the links Lucy.  It may be that affirmations can benefit some individuals more than others. Ultimately, it depends on how much total energy one invests into affirmations as they reflect one's ideals.

Quote:
I feel bad for your friend that her affirmations did not work then.

Yes, i felt bad for her too.  At the same time, i realized that there were reasons of growth behind it--suffering often serves the purpose of being a catalyst.

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #18 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 6:03am

I was reading this interview by Bob Olson and I thought it addressed this issue of why affirmations might not work. Danielle MacKinnon works out of a concept of soul contracts but it is explained in the talk. This is a transcript of a video; sometimes I like the leisure of reading the material.

The idea is that affirmations won't work if they contradict a belief held at a deeper level.

So maybe if an affirmation doesn't work it isn't a matter of trying harder but of going deeper to find out what blocks it. In Danielle's system, this is called a seed thought.

The illness thing complicates it more but it seems that on some level it should work the same way.

http://www.afterlifetv.com/2014/01/28/creating-soul-level-changes-lasting-growth...

the material in Selig's work is more concerned with getting right to some seed concepts, to use Danielle's terminology. It works on a deeper level than this.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2014 at 7:10am by Lucy »  

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #19 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 11:58am

Yes, I agree.  Affirmations will only work if we have no resistance to them.  Resistance usually does come from a contrary belief or a need we have, which also stems from a belief.  It's not a matter of will power.  Releasing our old beliefs that limit us or prevent us from living life fully need to be gently and lovingly unwoven, thread by thread, pattern by pattern that we'd developed over time.  If we create resistance to something we want to change, there's likely a fearful belief at the root of it and the resistance we feel to a change is an indicator that our "comfort zone" is being threatened.

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

a channel
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 12:34pm

I think there may be various different reasons of why affirmations may or may not work.  For example, with illness, the Disk/Light Being level of that self, may want to work on certain emotional lessons or growth, want to balance karma, and/or affect others in a certain way for their own lessons or karma.  (with my Mom, it seemed to be all of the above).

If they are not ready to be healed--meaning that process is still going on, then they won't be.  In cases like that, it's not just simply about beliefs, but being level goals.

But yes, beliefs of the human can also be a factor and can act as a block.  But it's not always just about beliefs in that sense.  Also, to really change deep beliefs, to some extent often times requires change at a being level, which often requires a blend or balance of will, effort, focus (yang) and surrender/letting go/seeking to be led, etc (yin).   One without the other, is incomplete and not as effective. 

Just as the right brain is not much effective without the left brain and vice versa.  A balance, an integration, a synthesis is usually best and most effective.  Again, those who tend to the primarily Yin, tend to stress the Yin side of the equation, those who tend to the primarily Yang tend to stress the Yang side of the equation, and those who tend to the more merged/integrated/balanced between the two within tend to stress that.  Like attracts, begets, resonates with, and likes Like. 

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #21 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 1:17pm

Emanuel Swedenborg basically states that what we love determines where we go after we die. Physical restraints aside, I believe the same is true while in this World.

Therefore, if a person affirms something such as I am love, I am a piece of God, I want to be one with God, but at a deep level such a person loves other things more than love/God, how much will an affirmation work?

If a person works hard enough at it he can create a parrot like thought pattern that says "I am a piece of God," but this is just a belief if he isn't willing to let go of what will enable him to experience himself as a piece of God.

Such a belief might prove to be a hindrance for a while because a person will settle for a belief rather than the real deal.

I remember one day back in the 1980s when I was with the spiritual group I used to belong to. A visitor, who just happened to be a spiritual teacher at a smaller level than the guru of the group, said that he likes to teach others even though he isn't enlightened because he enjoys the  love and admiration he receives from the people he teaches (they believed he was enlightened because he told them so).

After this Satsang I ran into this man and spoke to him a little. He seemed happy and was stating that he isn't the body, he is the Self. I could tell that he wasn't speaking from experience, he was being assertive. His happiness probably came from his belief in being enlightened rather than actual enlightenment.

Years later I found an advertisement which showed that he was still a guru. The sense I got was that he still wasn't enlightened. The same is true for the Guru of the above group. Perhaps if these two men gave actual spiritual growth precedence over their ambition to be a guru, they would've given up the assertion game and found true spiritual growth.

It is much better to find love within than to receive admiration from others. Especially if this admiration is based on a big lie.

P.S. The man I speak of above (not the guru of the group) stayed at the house I lived in while he was visiting the group. When my roomates and I arrived home from work one day (the same day this man returned home), we found that things such as stereo equipment and my tools had been stolen. If this man did in fact steal from us, perhaps he asserted "I am not the body, so I can't steal anything. There is only one Self, so there is nobody to steal from."

IP Logged

a channel
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 1:34pm

Ok, realized my earlier post is very theoretical in nature.  Thought a more concrete example would illustrate this better.  Say a person has certain limiting beliefs about food and diet.  They eat what they want according to taste, emotions, etc, not caring about the body's health because they think it doesn't really matter too much what goes into the body, they are only going to be around for so long, why not enjoy oneself, etc.

Releasing or changing these old, limiting beliefs may happen in different ways.  They may be open enough to guidance and get nudged from same to make changes to the diet, or they have some health problems which makes the consequences of not paying attention to same stand out more as wisdom or practical than the old beliefs and habits.  They may also realize that eating healthier allows their Consciousness to more clearly shine through the body and work with same more strongly, and clears the perceptions.

So, they release the old beliefs, replace them with new, and say to self, "i'm gonna change, i'm going to eat better. It's important for reasons i haven't seen previously but see now"  And they endeavor to do same. 

That releasing the old beliefs and being open to a different perception is more the "Yin" side of the process.  You could call it a type of surrendering..

Yet, we find the body is a being and level unto itself, and that of habits, emotions, attachments.  Self may have new beliefs, but the body doesn't always follow exactly suit right away.  It doesn't tend to change as fast as the mind and Consciousness parts of self--it's inherently more "slow moving" in a sense. 

So, self may need to put definite effort, will, and focus in this endeavor.  It's not enough to have the different belief and perception, but one must apply self and create new habits.  For many, this can take some definite time and practice and effort. 

We may be tempted again and again to the old habits of the body even though the basic, limiting belief towards food has changed and we don't want to be in that old pattern anymore.  Self will have to watch/observe itself (yin) being tempted, and consciously correct or direct differently via ones will and thought process (yang) "yes, i really do want to change so i will eat better!"

From this example, we can see how much both the Yin and Yang aspects of consciousness is involved in this process. 

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #23 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 2:57pm

Quote:
Self will have to watch/observe itself (yin) being tempted, and consciously correct or direct differently via ones will and thought process (yang) "yes, i really do want to change so i will eat better!"

And what do you do if you feel resistance when you say, "Yes, I really do want to change so I will eat better!"???

Making an affirmation such as this will only work if you are not resistant to it, otherwise the next time you're faced with eating an unhealthy food you may cave in and eat it anyway because you'll be likely to take a detour by telling yourself it's ok to "cheat" occasionally or make some other excuse of why not.  Roll Eyes

It's the same as having cross purposes.

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #24 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 9:33am

It would be nice to find a way to talk about this material without having to worry about whether it is channeled or not; i.e. take the material on its own merit rather than how it was assembled. As I read I often think "oh that is something I thought about before, or that is something I heard somewhere els" but here it is all assembled and that gives it more meaning, different meaning... Sometimes I have thought, "oh I knew that why did I not try harder to live it?"

The underlying message is (as always) that each of us is part of "god" and therefore Divine  (not saintly...but made of divine stuff. there is a difference!) But culture has taught us to think otherwise. So the point of this is to get us to realize our divine nature and increase what they call our frequency and thereby move closer to realization of Christ Conciousness. "Christ Conciousness" is meant to be a higher frequency level, and does not necessarily invoke Christianity and in fact there are other paths to this goal.

The comparisons and comments at the Nanci Dennison thread are very relevant as there is similar info coming from different sources. The issue is which souce affects me how and hwo can I implement this material. It is so vague to say "love is all that matters" (..reminds me of a line fromt eh Beatles...) but when I am in what is for me a negative situation that doesn't always give me the best thing to do... it doesn't explain what love is and how I balance self-love with loving others.. Or maybe those are meaningless terms. The Selig work imples love is a frequency, not an emotion.  All of this stuff is about love and I'm not sure what love (PUL or otherwise) is although I have experienced profound peace and I think that might be a form of love. But I don't know how to get (back) to that place. Especially when I am frustrated about something I have to do to survive the culture (taxes or otherwise).

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #25 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 12:41pm

Lucy:

I believe it could be valuable to speak about the parts of the teachings that have meaning to you, without getting into where they come from.

The thing is, some people are so inwardly intuned that even if they read a Source that has misleading intentions, they'll wisely only apply those parts that are true.

For the sake of discussion let's assume ACIM is misleading. An inwardly intuned person teaches the course according to what he knows to be true. To some extent this person provides a service because he helps people interpret ACIM in a way that is beneficial rather than not.

That said, if you interpret some of Selig's work in a wise way, you provide a service.  Smiley

Whether love is a frequency rather than an emotion, well first of all, sometimes I try to "not" analyze love too much because I don't want the amount I experience to be limited by my intellectual parameters. That said, love is probably more like a frequency than emotion, but I'm not certain and perhaps it is okay that I'm not certain.

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #26 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 2:51am

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #27 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 5:28am

I put the link there (previous post) and then the computer (at work) was shut down...sorry! now I can't modify.

So this link to Bruce's post about the person from Poland who attended a workshop has a very interesting piece about his workshop experience.

he wrote
Quote:
I discovered the dimension of unconditional love. It is extremely difficult to explain this love in words, as it is a radiation that fills the heart, the body and the surrounding space. You can send it to anyone in need of love, this love unites in the fullest possible understanding of this word; it gives rise to a community in which every person may look at others without feeling any fear, and thus see himself and God he believes in.

such a richer description than saying "frequency."

So what is lost or gained by thinking of love as a frequency as opposed to an emotion?

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #28 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 5:59am

I don't have a modify button...

so you can send this frequency, radiating from the heart, towards someone you may not particularly like emotionally.

If I think of love as an emotion I find it more difficult to consider sending love to someone I dislike.  Or if I try, it warps the good intentions. or it sort of ...damages.. me because I think I SHOULD send love to my enemies so I supress either how I really feel about them, or I open myself to some kind of harm from them. This sounds odd but I am trying to generalize here.

IP Logged

seagull

ALK Member

land sea sky
Reply #29 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 6:46am

I don't think you always have to think of love as being such an active quality. Or, of yourself sharing it in an active way, as if it were something in a gift box you were wrapping up in a pretty ribbon for someone else.

I think it is more of a releasing feeling, a kind of letting go of attachment to others. That attachment can be a negative in both people's lives. It is not so much about feeling positive feelings (which come and go on their own, and have more to do with gratitude than love, in my perspective).

When others are released that leaves room for them to be covered with the natural gifts of God, which they are due, no matter what I or anyone else thinks about it. Angry feelings of mine, or resentments, etc. block me from seeing what is real. A fresh new page is always there to turn.

I think we can send love to others in the form of positive thoughts, well-wishes. But, the love is already there, permeating all things, so we don't have to form an actual mental love laser beam to reach into another's life.

It is more of an intention for the well-being of others, a love of peace which is greater than conflict, a recognition of the fallibility of human nature and the inevitable suffering it brings to us no matter who we are.

So, the understanding is enough, in my mind. The stepping back to take a wider view. That is love, sometimes, taking that step a little further when it is helpful, or just standing your ground and being that person's mirror when it is helpful.

Have a blessed day.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2014 at 1:31pm by seagull »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.