Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I'm writing a book..question for those experienced (Read 12723 times)
I Am Dude

I'm writing a book..question for those experienced
Jul 1st, 2010 at 12:04am

I have decided to write a book about my experiences in nonphysical realms, what I have learned from them regarding the nature of reality, and how to go about having such experiences.  The book will cover topics including ETs, Jesus, guides, higher dimensions, the Higher Self, God/Source, the relationship between dreams, lucid dreams, and the various types of OBEs, and techniques to explore nonphysical realms, among other things.  All sections of the book will include passages from my Experience Journals here on this board, as well as others not logged here. 

I am unsure how to go about publishing the book, however.

Do I self publish?

Do I try to find a publisher?

I know Recoverer and several other members have written books.  What do you suggest I do?

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: I'm writing a book..question for those experienced
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2010 at 1:06pm

Hello Dude:

First of all I'm not an expert in the sense that I have a lot of experience, so I'll speak of what I do know, or think I know.

One time I wrote William Buhlman and asked him about this, and he said that if you don't have an agent, publishers won't even consider you. I read an article by Buhlman's agent (I can't remember his name), and he said the so called slush piles are even less reliable than some people claim. Or in other words, if you don't have an agent, good luck in getting a publisher to look at your book.

I don't know if Vicky's experience contradicts what I just wrote.

Hampton Roads publishing, the company Bruce Moen published through, seems to be an exception. If you look at their site, it explains how to submit a proposal. There might be other publishers who operate in a similar way.

When it comes to non-fiction, the usual way to do things is to submit a proposal of the book you want to write, find a publisher that is interested, and then write the book.

This approach didn't work for me because I wanted to write what I wrote regardless of what publishers want. I doubt that what I wrote is what publishers are interested in, they consider factors such as what they believe will sell. Going by what I read, the publishing industry is having a tough time financially, so they are more likely than ever to consider monetary factors before anything else.

Quite obviously self publishing doesn't require a publisher's approval, is much quicker, you have control, you get a bigger cut; but on the other hand, it is hard to get a book into a book store if you self publish. Some people find a way, such as David Icke.

It is important to add that I checked on the internet to see what people say about companies that print to order for self published books, and some people found that some companies don't tell the authors about all of the books that are sold. The companies keep all of the money for themselves.

I decided to not try Hampton Roads publishing because going by the messages I received something big is going to happen this October, and even if Hampton Roads were interested in my book, they probably wouldn't be able to publish until after October, and my book might become a mute point by then.

The October factor combined with how self published books usually don't sell too well, led me to decide to offer my book for free on an internet site. Not that having the site seems to help, when I did key word searches pages and pages of sites appeared before my site.

Type in "self publishing" on youtube. There's a guy from Ireland who gives a pretty good talk about it. I'd provide the link except that I can't do so while at work.

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 7:29pm

Write it, Dude. Maybe someone is interested to publish it, maybe not, and if not I look forward to find it for free in the web Wink !

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

BobK1952

Chicago, IL
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 12:53pm

Hi Dude,
I've sent you a PM with a few tips for you that I've run across.
Bob

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 10:03pm

Dude:

If you decide to do the print on demand option, check out these articles.

http://www.selfpublishingcommunity.com/features/self-publishing-with-lightning-s...

http://www.fonerbooks.com/2005/08/printing-offset-vs-print-on-demand.html

http://www.fonerbooks.com/paper.htm

By the way, I went to Borders the other day, and the  new age section was reduced by about 50%. I asked a man who works there why, and he said they reduced all book sections so they can sell more game videos. He also said that because of digital downloads, books on a shelf are going to become less available in the future.

It has already been difficult to get a book on a major bookstore shelf.  It seems as if it might become even more difficult. This being the case, I wonder if there is much of advantage of working with a publisher, unless you write in a genre that sells well.

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 9:17am

Interesting publishing info, Recoverer.

Thanks for sharing it.

Where do you suppose electronic books fit into that games plan?

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 2:27pm

Thanks for the info buddy.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:41pm

You're welcome Dude and Betson.

I haven't considered and researched the electronic dowload factor enough to know anything definite.

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #8 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 10:38am

Hi Dude,

I'm sorry but I just now noticed this thread....otherwise I would have responded sooner!

First of all, I'm glad you want to write and publish your experiences.  I know that with my book, who I am, and the way I talk/write, etc, it's not for everybody.  There are those who really like me and I imagine some who don't care for me.  My point is this...I wouldn't know what I know if it weren't for all the people out there who wrote and shared their own experiences.  There will always be something you have that's what someone needs.  I know in my own small way I can help someone else because of what I have to offer.

Not that you needed a pep talk or anything...I just felt like putting those 2 cents in.   Smiley   I wish you luck on your project!

Ok, about publishing.  I always assumed that it would be a piece of cake to get picked up by Hampton Roads, Bruce's publisher, simply because of my connection to him and because obviously my book was largely based on his work.  Did I ever get put in my place!  They weren't interested in my book at all and said it wasn't what they are looking for.  My ego took a blow but I got over it quickly.

I then chose a completely different type of publishing house, one that seemed to take on "new" types of stuff, and at least they gave me good feedback.  They said my writing was very good but unfortunately my type of book had too small of a market. 

So I chose to self publish because I really wanted to get it out there quickly, I wanted it to be done exactly how I'd written and arranged it, and I didn't want someone trying to change anything about it to make it more marketable.

I'd suggest that if you really want a publisher to be interested, don't hesitate to approach them.  But if you want other options or you get turned down, don't feel bad about it.  Put your book out there any way you can!!

I went to www.createspace.com and it was very easy to do, great people willing to help, and it costs very little out of pocket. 

Congrats and good luck!

Vicky

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 12:47pm

I believe Vicky's book would be a good book for a skeptic to read, because it is clear that she isn't a fraud who made up stories for the sake of money, fame, whatever; and that she experienced more than a bunch of hallucinations. A skeptic would have to really spin to deny that Vicky provides experience based examples as to how there is more to this world than the physical.

Change of subject...I've seen one of Bruce's books in a chain bookstore only one time (his Afterlife knowledge handbook). This demonstrates that publishers can't guarantee that a book will end up in a bookstore. Therefore, if you have a small niche market, it might be better to self publish. This is especially so because your book might end up in limbo if a publisher can't get it in a store. You can do Amazon.com without the help of a publisher, and give them a smaller percentage. To me it doesn't make sense to give them 55% as some people do.

When it comes to getting your book in a new age bookstore, that might be another matter. I've seen a few copies of Bruce's books in new age book stores.

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #10 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 1:07pm

recoverer wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 12:47pm:
I believe Vicky's book would be a good book for a skeptic to read, because it is clear that she isn't a fraud who made up stories for the sake of money, fame, whatever; and that she experienced more than a bunch of hallucinations. A skeptic would have to really spin to deny that Vicky provides experience based examples as to how there is more to this world than the physical.

Thanks for the good comments. 
Smiley

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #11 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 1:54pm

Vicky

Thank you soo much for that link!  I can't believe how cheap it is to self publish through them!  What I like most is I can order ten books and it will cost just as cheap per book as ordering 200.  Good stuff.  Recoverer, have you checked it out yet?

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #12 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 3:42pm

Awesome!  Glad you checked it out.  Let me know if I can help answer any questions.  My user name on the community there is PJ2009.

Vicky

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #13 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 8:13pm

Dude:

I've been really busy lately and haven't had time to check it out in detail.  It seems as if the company is owned by Amazon.

I Am Dude wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 1:54pm:
Vicky

Thank you soo much for that link!  I can't believe how cheap it is to self publish through them!  What I like most is I can order ten books and it will cost just as cheap per book as ordering 200.  Good stuff.  Recoverer, have you checked it out yet?

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #14 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 2:20pm

I was hoping for some input regarding the title of my book.

I know I want to call it:  Chronicles of a Soul

But the subtitle I'm still not sure of.

Perhaps:

Chronicles of a Soul: Experiences and Revelations of an Out Of Body Explorer

I know I want this much:

Chronicles of a Soul:  Experiences and Revelations of...

Not 100% sold on it yet though. 

Any suggestions?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.