Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
My Criteria for a True Heaven (Read 28141 times)
Berserk2

My Criteria for a True Heaven
Sep 19th, 2008 at 5:17pm

One can label a given spiritual plane as a heavenly or hellish realm in an arbitrary way.  Bruce Moen once describes a "City of Angels" in a way that seems distinct from Focus 27.  My impression from Bruce's description is that he was unable to explore this realm in depth.  Robert Bruce reports OBE glimpses of a similar glorious realm through a kind of keyhole, but is unable to enter it.  On the basis of all my reading about OBE and NDE exploration, here are my 5-fold criteria for "a true heaven."  These criteria fit the biblical model as well.  

(1) The environment is brighter than the sun, but does not hurt one's
     non-physical eyes.
(2) The percipient sees hundreds of brilliant new colors that are
    unknown on earth.
(3) Heavenly matter such as flowers and water droplets from ponds or
    lakes are literally "alive."
(4) The sounds of heavenly realms are transformed into unearthly
     music and interactive harmonies when prolonged attention is
     focused on them.  For example, NDEers may focus on the roaring
     of a heavenly waterfall.  As they maintain this focus, the roaring
     is transformed into spectacular music.  The NDEer then beocmes
     aware of different melodies emanating from the plants and
     flowers around him.  These different melodies blend together into
     one awesome harmony.  Some NDEers report that the joy of
     experiencing this harmony is even greater than the joy of their
     reunion with their deceased loved ones in the heavenly greeting
     party!
(5) Those entering this realm are overwhelmed by an awareness of
     PUL emanating from Christ.  This claim seems bolstered by the
     best verfications, most notably Swedenborg's many years of
     touring the heavens.  I am open to the possibility of non-
     Christocentric heavens, but so far the verifiable evidence
     known to me does not support this.  In any case, such inferences
      need to be based on oft replicated exploration rather than New
     Age political correctness or Christian bias.

I have now learned from both Ethiopian and Ugandan missionaries that thousands of Muslims are converting to Christianity as a result of experiencing Christ's presence in visions.  What is striking is that these converts do not interpret their visions in terms of the lofty portrait of Christ in the Koran.  Intrinsic to their visions is an awareness that this apparition is the Christian Jesus!  I discovered just how widespread this phonomenon is from  the Ugandan Children's Choir that recently performed in our church.  I am particularly impressed by verifications produced by paranormal experiences that defy preconceptions.  So I am also impressed by the widespread phonomenon of atheists being converted to Christianity through their NDEs.  Conversely, past discussion here has not produced even a single case of a Muslim who experienced the Being of Light as Muhammad.  Atwater does report a case where one of the non-luminous beings encountered by a Muslim is Muhammad.  But only the widespread patterns matter because the line between lucid dreams, hallucinations, and genuine NDEs is elusive.  Obviously, these patterns need to be researched in greater detail.

Don      

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: My Criteria for a True Heaven
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 6:17pm

Don:

As you know, I've had experiences with Christ.  The first time was when I had my night in heaven experience. It began with the understanding that in some way Christ is a reality, the person of Jesus did exist, and he did represent divine truth when he was here.

For a while I wondered if the Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke most accurately represent Christ, or the Gospel of John. Because Christ's being seemed so holy during my night in heaven experience, I tried to elevate his status by considering the gospel of John viewpoint.

I can't say I know what his being is all about, but right now I figure he is a Soul, a child of God like the rest of us. It is just that he reached a state of being while human that many people don't reach while human.

I believe that when any Soul reaches a certain level of development, it understands about its oneness with God. This doesn't mean that a particular Soul's being is the being that created everything. It means that a particular Soul's being has reached the level where it lives according to the same love and wisdom that God's being lives according to. I believe that just about all of us are destined to reach this level. I believe that the spirit of Jesus is very supportive of us doing so.

I don't believe that Jesus needs us to attribute things to him that aren't accurate, in order for him to be a divine being.  To do so is to not understand what divinity is really about. Just as you can't make a human being more divine by electing he or she to be the President of the United States, you can't make a Soul more divine by attributing special titles.

Notice that there are some NDEs where the spirit of Jesus brought a Soul to the presence of God, as happened with Howard Storm's experience.

I believe one of the reasons the spirit World delivers information to people in different ways, is because it understands that different people are open to hearing different information.  Perhaps Emanuel learned about Christ in the manner he did, because many people including Emanuel weren't open to hearing a different viewpoint during Emanuel's time period. I figure that when Jesus thinks of himself he thinks of himself more as the Christ spirit that abides in all of us, rather than a particular person. I figure he doesn't believe that he can be Christ more than we can be Christ, even though his role in the grand scheme of things is in some ways bigger than it is for other Souls.

I figure there are a lot of planets in this universe and other universes that can inhabit life. If as some people believe Jesus is God himself, consider how many times God would have to incarnate and possibly go through some sort of ordeal. I believe it would be quite unfair to expect this of God. In the end you get only one being. On the other hand, if Jesus is a Soul just like the rest of us, then he and many other beings like him get to enjoy their existance along with God, just like the rest of us.

I do not believe it is irreverent to think of Jesus as wonderful elder brother who knows more than me and can help me.

Perhaps more people in this World would be accepting of Christ, if some people didn't contend that you better believe or else.  I really doubt that God and Jesus would put things in such a repressive test framework. If a Soul reaches the point where it wants to live according to love and humility, then it will be open to accepting truth as it is, regardless of what it is. There would be no reason to be concerned about any particular part of truth. Each of us will have many surprises when we find out what divine truth is.

I don't believe it is necessary to minimalize spiritual experiences that dont include Jesus. If a person experienced divine love during an NDE, then he or she experienced what the spirit of Christ is about. I feel confident that Jesus appreciates such experiences.  

IP Logged

george stone

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 7:28pm

Jesus said,I am the way and the truth.nobody come to the father except by me.What does that tell you?George

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 9:20pm

I think your criteria for a true heaven, Don, describes a lovely place which I hope does, indeed, exist. Although my own personal opinion holds little value, my own experiences both in meditation alone and with others here, and my own reading and life experiences, support much of what you list numerically.

To be honest, I feel that whether a person is greeted by a Being/Christ or whether they are simply invited into a unique experience of love like no other they have known....there is no difference.

But I would hope that Christ remains very real to those who need him. I personally have never clung to his person, that I know of, at least, knowing that it was him. I, like many others, only know when I am comforted by the source of all love.

wishing you a lasting peace, blink

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 11:05pm

Hi Don,

While I have experienced all of your criteria on occasion I cannot say that these would indicate a true heaven.  It seems to me that we are always connected to and a part of God and it is through this connection that we are able to have these types of experiences not only as a discarnate, but also while our being is extended as a physical incarnation. In truth there is no separation from these higher realms except in our awareness, which is limited because of the physical body where personal consciousness exists in ignorance. We can however learn to allow more of the fullness or sweetness of our being to flow freely into our earthly existence.

With the exception of seeing a being of light, one is able to experience the first four of your criteria right here on earth though not as vividly as when one has let go of the body. Some time ago I was struck by Mellon Thomas Benedict’s NDE and the statement he made: God is becoming us. My personal understanding of his statement would be the more we are able to let go of our fear and insecurities, the more God is able to flow through us and be of service in the world. Blessed to be a blessing is how I’ve always thought of this because everyone benefits through the fulfillment of conscious evolution. It seems like heaven is more a state of being rather than a place, though I suppose it could be a world in itself within non-physical reality.

Perhaps the realms, heavenly or otherwise reflect the state of our being, the level of ignorance retained within personal consciousness that determines where one is most comfortable. I’m not sure. What I do know is that the times I have been close to the being of light, I can get close enough to feel the radiation of the most incredibly beautiful love that’s truly unimaginable, but I’m not able to go to or be with this light even though everything in me wants to. I cannot say if this being is Christ or a nameless radiance of love, but it’s brilliant splendor sparks incredible awe, reverence, humility and incredible joy.

Hmmm... that's what I want to be when I grow up!  Smiley

Love, Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

harvey

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 5:41am

I agree to a certain extant with all you guy's...True Heaven seems to be the ultimate domain in which we, all souls, will eventually gravitate too..Jesus, that beautiful and wonderful man, from the middle east 2000 years ago, testifies that this statement is truth, among several other great souls that taught us here on Earth, before and after Lord Jesus...I will not add anymore, as I wish to not add to what is and what is non acceptable, in written posts by certain members of this forum, by those who rule and censor this message board...Harvey.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 7:24am

Don,

Your position on heaven is true and beautiful, but only the first stage of an infinite journey

Not all souls go to this wonderful place you describe. Dark minds can not and do not go there

Take care

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

DocM

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 11:40am

Very nice thread.  Some thoughts:

Using the words a "true" heaven, imply the existence of false or hollow heavens.  It also implies one correct or true path for spirit or consciousness - all others being the "wrong" way for spiritual progression.

I believe that hollow heavens are merely realms of consciousness that are centerd on a mental plane that denies or does not fully accept love.  That is what causes them to be "hollow;" there is more out there for the soul/mind to experience.  There is a divinity that we are part of, and it consists of our acknowledgement of the source of PUL being God, and the manifestation of PUL being in ourselves.  Once we recognize this, or the inconsistencies in any hollow heaven/mental plane, we are freed and open to new possibilities.

I am intrigued by Don's reports of christian conversions, but I reject at this time, the notion that a true heaven is only attainable by one who recognizes one path (christianity).  If I, as a loving Jew, believe in the same principles of love of God, God as the foundation of my being, and love of his creation (including my fellow man), would I not qualify for entrance into a "true heaven," although I did not follow the doctrine of christianity?  I believe, that I would - as would others.  I believe that one's spiritual inclinations are more important than earthly identifications with a single religion.

Matthew

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 12:01pm

Greetings,

this is inspiring!  Much appreciation, Don and posters!

Could we just say for point five that a Messianic figure seems to be the focal point?

Bets

Huh This site has no censors or rulers, harvey. Some of us post errors in thinking and some of us post often, so I can see that that pattern might lead to such a conclusion  Cheesy

Harvey--there was a play about Harvey, 'a large transparent hare; you couldn't see him anywhere.' --Is he your avatar?  Smiley

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 12:11pm

It is all about perception is it not

Take care

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 12:23pm

If heaven is only for those converted to Christianity, then it is almost empty and hell is full of good people

Take care

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 12:26pm

Matthew (et. al.)

Your statement Quote:
I believe that hollow heavens are merely realms of consciousness that are centerd on a mental plane that denies or does not fully accept love. 
really struck me.

How can there be anyone who does not fully accept love? What does it mean to fully accept love? This is a profound concept.

Yet that is correct. I certainly have struggled to love myself, not in the narcissistic fashion but in the PUL fashion. I once found a scholarly work having to do with the idea that self-love was a blasphemy at certain historical time periods, and it helped me see what a false idea it is to not love yourself. I think I had the idea that it made me more pure and holy to not love myself, or to love others more than I loved myself. This is a false idea that ws promulgated by religious teachings.

So how many hollow hells are occupied by folks who have the idea that loving does not include loving yourself? Hollow hells aren't necessarily occupied by folks who hate others. Not loving yourself sufficiently would also cause grief.

It is hollow to love your neighbor as yourself if you don't first love yourself.

Heaven isn't a place, it is a state of being.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 3:26pm

I also would like to mention some thoughts on the being of light found in NDEs.  Don rightly mentions that Jesus is often noted, and questions why we don't hear more episodes of Muslims encountering Mohammed or Buddhists encountering Siddarhtha. 

We've gone over this in other threads, but I would raisie the following pertintent points.  The first being that Mohammed was, in no way meant to be thought of as God incarnate by Muslims.  He was, perhaps thought of as leading his life most truly along the laws of Islam, which he laid down.  Neither was Moses, Abraham Isaac or Jacob (to cover other religious figures) thought of as being anything but a good person, chosen by God for a purpose.

Jesus was, to his believers truly God incarnate.  Therefore when one passes over, or has a NDE perhaps an encounter with a light being, is it not natural that one might take this difference into account?  I have read through a series of NDEs from South East Asia which I posted in a thread here.  There were some references to afterlife figures from the local traditions.  There was no mention of any reference to Jesus, Buddha or Mohammed. 

When Howard Storm wrote of his NDE, at one point he asked which religion was the "correct" or true religion.  The answer he was given was "that which brings you closest to God." 

If, after passing on, I was told that Christ represents the source of PUL, and that recognition and understanding of this was needed to spiritually evolve, I would accept that my notions of PUL, about God being its source and the need to express PUL to others was manifest in this way in spirit. I'm not sure, however, that people who live by love, yet don't name Jesus as the source of this love are exempt from heaven; they are merely expressing the same concepts in a different way. 

Matthew

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #13 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 5:30pm

Matthew,

The Being of Light normally does not identify itself to non-Christians, but is the target of projected identifications from the percipient.  What is crucial is not the human identity of the being, but the quality of the love ethic that its radiance implies and the beauty of the relationship with it that its invitation offers.  In Storm's NDE, Jesus insists that the "right" religion is the one that brings you closest to God.  Storm's Jesus also claims that His "atonement" made this relationship with God possible.  But this claim is irrelevant to your point because you would not be expected to violate your current conscience and accept beliefs that you are honestly not ready to embrace.  

Your last paragraph makes the crucial concession: if your postmortem self realizes at some point that you need to rethink the Jesus question, you are more than willing to do so.  I reject the claim that formal belief in Jesus is a decisive factor in who can and cannot ultimately gain access to a "true" heaven.  By the same token, I hope I would be open in my afterlife to being corrected about any of my misconceptions of Jesus' role.  The Bible itself teaches that God communicates under different symbols to peoples of different religous and cultural backgrounds.  But as I said, I still want to learn what more comprehensive cross-cultural NDE research might reveal.  In that respect, scientific afterlife research is still in its infancy.

Don      
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2008 at 8:05pm by Berserk2 »  

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #14 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:05pm

Don

Quote:
Storm's Jesus also claims that His "atonement" made this relationship with God possible.  But this claim is irrelevant to your point because you would not be expected to violate your current conscience and accept beliefs

"Storms Jesus", who the heck is he?

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.