Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Slipping from the astral to lucid dreams (Read 36433 times)
Berserk2

Slipping from the astral to lucid dreams
Sep 5th, 2008 at 4:42pm

Whether astral travel, OBEs, and NDEs are experienced by Christians, New Agers, secularists, and others, one fact stands out as a serious problem of credibility: as a whole, these experiences are riddled with inconsistencies demonstrating that many of them are bogus or that the spiritual being contacted are deceptive or mistaken in their claims. Some Christian NDEs feature a Jseus (Being of Light) who suspiciously restricts communations to commentary with copious biblica prooftexts.  I attribute such NDEs to projections from the believer's imagination.   By contrast, atheist howard Storm's NDE conversation with Jesus is permeated by novel insights and claims, some of which can be intriguingly verified.  As a whole, Storm's Jesus would be deemed an imposter by cnnventional Christians.  Similarly, the glib way many New Age explorers claim to contact their Disk or Higher Self smacks of unwitting concoction by the imagination.  

From my research, Emanuel Swedenborg [ES] generally seems to have the most impressive verifications.  But even he seems subject to bogus contacts such as his visits to other planets in our solar system and his conversations with the inhabitants of those planets.  True, in ES's day, even the great German philosopher, Emanuel Kant, believed that other planets in our solar system are inhabited by intelligent life that cen breath in a satisfactory atmosphere.  Similarly, astral adepts like Robert Bruce and Gordon Phinn claim to have "seen" a hidden alien base on the dark side of the moon.  Are these adepts deluded by deceptive spirits?  Or is something else going on?

When one encounters spirits (real or imagined) during astral projection, one's preconceptions and interpretations are unavoidably activated.  The spirit or light often declines to identify itself, and so, becomes the target of our projected identities.  That spirit typically allows the astral explorer to take the inititiative and how the explorer does this may determine whether or not he slips into a lucid dream type of consciousness without realizing it.  In the lucid dream state, experience and communications can be shaped to reinforce preconceptions.

I theorize that this interpretive bias can amount to an unintentional transformation of a genuine astral experience into an analogous lucid dream in which the unconscious need to be in charge can play out.  The shift from genuine astral realms to sheer imagination can be subtle enough to escape the explorer's notice and lead to purely imaginative conversations that reflect the percipient's expectations.  Perhaps this is the explanation of why even the most gifted astral adpets can at times be so deceived.  If I am right, then criteria would need to be identified to help one detect this transition.  What do you think?

Don
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2008 at 6:55pm by Berserk2 »  

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Re: Slipping from the astral to lucid dreams
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 6:56pm

Hi Don. This is an issue I think about from time to time too.

The following may conflict with your view, but depending on what the nature of the presumed framework of the underlying reality is the possibilities are almost endless.

Specifically: some traditions hold that relative dualistic realities (such as the cosmos we perceive ourselves to exist within, and the associated afterlife realms which seem also to be experienced as dualistic) are essentially illusory, and in essence are dreamed into existence by a collective ego intent on compensating for the suppressed fear it feels as a result of its separation from God or source.

It's said we're not normally conscious of this, that ego shields us from this awareness, and instead predisposes us to believe in the reality of the illusory reality.

God or source, or the non-dual absolute is meanwhile the only true reality - albeit that most of us are not experientially conscious of this.

Mind meanwhile creates all, so the reality we perceive is always going to be the reality specified by our belief systems.

This latter is the key point. As well as holding individual beliefs, we (mostly unconsciously or at the ego level) share many about the nature of the afterlife and this physical reality too - giving rise to the perception  of the existence of objectively existing afterlife realms and other realities. (all of this by the way leading to our cycling from life to life via the afterlife until such time as we drop our belief in the reality of these relative realities thus enabling our return to God/source)

The rub lies in the fact that if they are mind/ego created these relative realities need not objectively exist at all - they may simply be the manifestation of these shared belief systems, with individual variations accounting for perceived differences.

Despite the appearance of objective reality all may actually be delivered up by a cosmic ordering service responding via the creativity of mind to the previously mentioned beliefs.

In this framework Jesus for example may well manifest as an apparently physically or otherwise embodied self or person. (e.g. a light being) But in the above framework this is perhaps just the Holy Spirit/source drawing on our library of concepts, language and so on to find a way to communicate truth to us in a format which we (given our buy-in to relative reality) can accept. The same can equally be said of the Buddha, or of a number of other realised teachers.

This is only one view (albeit a fairly widely held one), and the point is not to argue for one or another. But it certainly adds more than a little complexity to any debate as to the nature of afterlife realities...

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 7:22pm

Don:

I believe there are explanations other than a person's imagination playing tricks on he or she or a person being deceived by a deceptive being.

Beings who represent the light surely know that this World has many belief systems, none of which is completely true. They also know that our life in this World is very temporary compared to eternity, and not what our existence is truly about. Therefore, I believe they provide information according to need, without having to feel that they can "only" share what is absolutely true on every single occasion. If they could only share what is absolutely true, many people wouldn't understand, and the needs of many people wouldn't be accounted for.

Consider near death experiences. Some are more fundamentalist than others.  The usual explanation is that it is a matter of what a person's beliefs will allow a person to experience. I believe there is more to it than this. It is also a matter of what a person will be able to integrate into his or her life after his or her experience is over, and how other people will benefit from what this person shares about about his or her experience.

Not all people are open to the same message. Some will believe that an NDE is created by Satan if it contradicts the Bible in any way. NDEs that are fundamentalist in nature are created so that to some degree a love message is included, with the hope that the people who read this experience will be inspired by the love portion. If they are inspired by the love message enough, perhaps they will be open to a more middle ground experience such as Howard Storm's experience.  If they are inspired by the love portion of a middle ground experience, perhaps they will open up to considering near death experiences and other sources of information that are more love oriented than fear oriented.

Eventually a person will get to the point where the love in his or heart stirs so strongly, there is no way such a person is going to allow his or her self to accept explanations that involve many Souls ending up in hell for all of eternity, simply because they didn't come around to believing in a certain way, or because they did something such as fall in love with a person who has the same gender. They'll also realize that it isn't okay to look at others as if they are being misled by satan and/or one of his supposed demons.

I believe that people like Howard Storm and Betty Eddie provide a bridge for people who are trying to move from a fundamentalist way of seeing things to a more moderate way of seeing things, when they state things such as it doesn't matter what religion you follow. It is more about what kind of person you are. Perhaps a fundamentalist person will realize that many people follow the religion they follow not because they are evil, but because this is the religion they learned about when they were children. Perhaps they will realize that true admiration for that which is divine doesn't come through fear, but through love.

When it comes to OBEs and lucid dreams I've had a lot, and I've found that they always serve an instructive purpose. I can tell that they are created by my higher self/spirit guidance. I've learned more through these experiences than I could by reading a book.

Robert Monroe and Bruce Moen aren't the only people who have found out about the existence of their I-there/disk/Oversoul/higher self/total self/whatever you want to call it.  People have found out about such a level of being without knowing that others have done so.  Why do you have a problem with this way of viewing things? Because this viewpoint isn't spoken about in the Bible? Such a way of thinking hardly fits in with some of the things the Bible speaks about. My guess is that Jesus knew about disks quite well, however, he didn't speak about such things to the masses, because most people from the time period wouldn't know how to make use of such information. Higher selves aren't evil demons that stand between people and God and try to replace God. They are our link to God and an extension of God at the same time.

If there is one thing I've found, fear will prevent you from experiencing the World of spirit to a significant degree. I believe it is important for people to use their discrimination, but it is more important for them to understand that if they have pure intentions, the light beings who are close to them will be there for them when they reach out to them.  Even if a person does get fooled, at least ways this person had the courage and faith to try to make contact. I've found that there are great rewards in doing so.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 5:18am

Don,

From the Bible

"In the last days said God I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh and your young men shall see visions and your old men dream dreams, and upon my servants and handmaidens I will pour out of my Spirit and they shall prophecy"

Paul said "he knew a man if in the body or out of the body who was taken into the third heaven and there saw unspeakable things "(or unexplainable things)

All direct from memory without reading the Bible so the wording might not be exact. Paul was believed to have been stoned for some reason, and I sure given your Biblical knowledge of Jewish punishment in those days is that the Jews would not stop the stoning, until they were sure the person was dead, absolutely dead, if dead can be absolute.

Paul was relating this near death experience to his follows of course he gave ino details apparently due to the strange realm of other reality he saw while clinically dead.

Regards

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Rog_B

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 10:04am

Don-

Seems to me that it would be better to establish criteria to identify a genuine astral experience as opposed to criteria to identify if a transition was made to a lucid dream.

Also, criteria need to be used for retrievals.  Personally I think the vast majority of retrievals are simply the results of a person's wanting to believe he/she has really contacted a deceased person.  There are simple ways to establish evidence of a genuine retrieval but for whatever reason, such evidence is never obtained.  For example, SS #s, street addresses, etc etc.

As to alien bases on the far side of the moon, this has been the object of speculation and science fiction writers for many years.  We now know what the far side looks like, just like the side facing the earth.  If an astral adept "travels" to the far side, with a preconception that alien bases may be there, chances are very good he will report that he "saw" them.  Now, considering that aliens would have to have the technology to get here in the first place without being detected, it is somewhat silly to think they would need to hide or even need bases.

ES warned about the high amount of deception in the afterlife.  Therefore, it's entirely plausible to suppose that his contacts with alien life forms were the result of such deceptions.

Bottom line for me is simply this- why should any of this concern us?  We're all going to die some day, and we will either survive death or not.  In the meantime, isn't it far more important to devote our lives by helping others?

It's all going to sort itself out in God's own time-line anyway.

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 11:02am

Greetings Rog B,

I enjoy and learn from your posts!
However, I have to comment on your suggestion of obtaining addresses, SS#s, etc from retrievees.

I've tried to get such information, and the energy just goes blank, until I ask or comment on something else.  It's as if they check all that at the pearly gates when they drop off the physical. Haven't we been told that 'all knowledge shall pass away', or some such Biblical phrase?

It's attitudes we're supposed to be building down here, haven't we established that?
Attitudes result from infusing emotions or rawer energies with thoughtful and hopefully kind consciousness. That understanding was developed on  a previous and excellent discussion here, as I recall.

So when I ask for 'verification' now I ask for some information about the deceased family member that is unknown to outsiders. Their comments usually deal with relationships--events that caused attitudes that the family member usually recalls.

Of course that may not work if they are still stunned by the death trama and are in a healing place or a lower BST. They don't remember Earth very clearly there.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if you've done any retrievals yet?  You would know all this if you had.

Any 'test' will have to be devised by people who have a range of experience doing retrievals so they know what the experience is they are attempting to measure.

My verification is the difference it makes to me and those involved. Doing retrievals helps improve the attitudes of those involved.  Smiley

Compared to lucid dreams, retrievals pack a whallop of attitude improvement! Shocked  Lucid dreams that successfully resolve a situation may de-stress or lighten my load abit, but not nearly so strongly as a retrieval does.

Sorry I went on so long but you are usually on the right track and I was sorry to see you get off it.

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 11:58am

Don,

I’m not sure that criteria could be developed because all experience including that of the astral realms is subjective and relative to an individual’s conscious experiences and beliefs about those experiences. As you mention, we humans seem to have a tendency to interpret and rationalize what we don’t understand. This always seems to be based on the things we do understand or at the very least have heard or read about so it seems entirely possible that we project what we know and believe onto whatever we come across regardless of whether or not we consider it to be physical or non-physical.

I don’t consider myself an adept astral explorer, but what I have experienced during meditation and higher states of consciousness (not sleeping or dreaming) I see, feel, and know certain information as an observer. In altered states of consciousness that seems to be all I really am… an observer, and I’m not inclined to interact with what I see, only observe it. From this standpoint of observation if I’m given instruction to take an action, I can do so, but it seems strange in that I am watching or observing me doing what I was instructed to do so in that regard it does seem like a projection or a “movie” where I’m an observer, watching me do whatever I was instructed to do.

One example is when I was living outside of LA in 1971. Just before the earthquake hit during meditation I observed myself flying over the fault line where I could see the earth movement deep inside the earth. Minutes later the ground I was sitting on literally began to rock and roll.

To me the difference from that of a lucid dream is that in the dream I’m not an observer, I’m right in the middle of the action. In a lucid dream I’m completely in control and if the dream is going in a direction I don’t like I can simply change it to something I do like.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Rog_B

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 1:10pm

Hi Bets-

Thanks for your perspective.  Many years ago, I was about 8 or 9, something happened to me that had a profound affect on my belief system re. the afterlife.  So I guess for that reason I don't attempt retrievals nor do I try to contact the afterlife.  I have my own verification.

However, I do have a question that perhaps you can answer.  You say

"I've tried to get such information, and the energy just goes blank, until I ask or comment on something else.  It's as if they check all that at the pearly gates when they drop off the physical."

Yet when mediums such as John Edward or George Anderson contact deceased folks, they report all sorts of very specific information, supposedly provided by the deceased.  Maybe not SS #s, but certainly other very detailed info.

So, the question arises- why do you suppose that occurs in some cases, but not others?  Is it because these mediums are extremely proficient in what they do, or is it because of some other reason(s)?

Interesting huh.

R

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 4:15pm

Greetings Rog,

Cheesy  I can tell from my retrieval assignments that I'm not considered very 'skilled!' So yes, I think there are levels of proficiency. 'Skilled' to me includes not only openness to the reality and energies of spirit, but also the ability to concentrate, vitality, degree of caring concern, etc. My experiences begin to fade while I'm with the subject, so I assume I lack concentration and vitality to question further.

Those people you mentionned aren't familiar to me, so I wouldn't know where to put them on a proficiency scale.
Once people get in the public eye and have to charge money for their work, alot of concerns could affect the results.

Nothing bests personal experience!  I'm so glad you've had such an encounter !  Smiley

Bets

Shakespeare

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 8:34pm

Roger,

Most "verifications" adduced from astral travel nicely fit the profile of occasional ESP that need have nothing to do with spirit dimensions.  What makes this area of study smack of occult fundamentalism is the widespread failure to acknowledge the deafening silence of plausible but unmet expectations.  Astral explorers, it seems, would rather bask in the cliche, "There's no substitute for direct experience," than relentlessly focus on an honest and open inquiry into the Achilles' heels of this discipline.  The claim that obvious verifiable details are unattainable is refuted by adepts like Swedenborg, and yet, it is precisely this adept who is self-deluded in his alleged contacts with aliens on our solar system's planets.  No one--certainly not myself--has anything close to a satisfying explanation of such self-delusion victimizing even the most gifted.    

Given this standard premature dogmatism, it is refreshing to note the honest perspective of one of the most gifted adepts at OBEs and remote viewing--Ingo Swan.  With all his "verifications," Ingo was asked in a radio interview why he thinks this sort of astral gift proves the existence of an afterlife.  He bluntly replies that so far these gifts prove nothing about the question of postmortem survival.

If astral travel were genuine, what should we expect?  At least 4 areas bristling with annual breakthroughs: (1) Our knowledge of the number, structure, and governing principles of astral realms would dramatically increase annually.  (2) Research partnerships with concerned discarnate spirits would be cultivated and refined to the point that awesome research strategies would be developed.  These strategies would provide unequivocal verifications to authenticate retrievals and to establish the identities and lifestyles of dicarnate loved ones.  (3) The unlimited knowledge stored in the House of Knowledge in Focus 27 would be verifiably mined to expand human knowledge and evolution.  (4) New "highway systems" between astral worlds and our own would be prepared and introduced.  

I can't help but wonder: How will New Agers rationalize the inevitable coming failure of December 21, 2012 to mark any turning point in the development of human consciousness?  

Don
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2008 at 11:32pm by Berserk2 »  

IP Logged

Rog_B

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 8:59pm

<<I can't help but wonder: How will New Agers rationalize the inevitable coming failure of December 21, 2012 to mark any turning point in the development of human consciousness?  >>

Don-

The same way the Jehovah Witnesses rationalized why the world did not end in 1975 as their magazines repeatedly warned.  They claim now that 1975 was simply the first "step" in reaching Armageddon.

R

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 10:17am

Greetings Don,

Perhaps the spiritual intent of a dream, or a lucid dream, or an OB experience etc is fulfilled simply by its happening!

Perhaps for some souls, a dream they can recall even just for awhile is the full importance it was meant to have?
Perhaps a (lucid?) dream carries enough impact for the soul to which it was given; any more impact would be dangerous to that soul's development.

Any of these experiences can cause a "Call to Conscience."
Therefore any are validly spiritual !
The category they fall within is between a soul and its Guidance.
We can and do rejoice when they are effective, regardless of their category !   Smiley

Bets

Shakespeare

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 1:13pm

It seems likely Don that as Kathy and others of us have said above that it's probably unwise to seek to apply rigid objective scientific logic to the astral.

As before it in a sense seems to be programmed to deliver to our beliefs/expectations, but to mix this with manifesting in cause/consequence space/time like (but not quite) terms - which reinforces the likelihood that while it's in some ways a bit like the physical, it can also be whatever we (at a probably unconscious level) want it to be.

We're already seeing here in the physical many observer determined effects which mean that a purist application of scientific observation is not universally applicable.

That's not to rubbish scientific method, nor for that matter when it's clear that most experience is highly subjective and open to all sorts of interpretation to place it all on a pedestal. Especially not when so much of our interpretation is driven by needs and belief systems.

Prophecy/prediction is equally unreliable. I'd for example not want to bet on what exactly if anything is going to happen in 2012 - notwithstanding that my gut feeling suggests that the world is heading for a critical point in respect of many issues like population, the financial system, spirituality, climate, resources and so on.

But perhaps as Bets suggests it's unnecessary for this crazy (and allegedly illusory reality and afterlife) to be anything more than subjective.

Perhaps it's no more than a teaching environment in which events and outcomes have no reality or importance whatsoever - that it's only their result in terms of loosening our belief in separation, individuality and the dog eat dog rules of this reality, and the development of our ability to connect again with and see in terms of spirit and love that matters....

So perhaps it's another case of needing to head for the middle ground - of avoiding the extremes of flap-happy anything goes gullibility and fundamentalist dogma regarding spiritual matters in favour of a more nuanced and open stance.

That's not to dismiss the need to live right in this reality - subjective or not conditions of excessive suffering are not amenable to spiritual progress.

The problem is perhaps that we are so driven to rush to judgement/interpretation of events, and consequently into beliefs, that we struggle so much to simply observe and remain open enough to learn - we end up at one or other polarity.  

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 9:47pm

According to views reported from Bruce, TMI, and other modern sources, consciousness in spirit, needs to be "compressed" (for want of a better word) in order to interact in the physical world.  The psychic "noise" called M Band by Bruce, would make it difficult for one human being to interact with another in the physical world.  As such, we voluntarily shut off our ability to perceive other minds, emotions, thoughts and planes.

An astral explorer must therefore relax, and reverse this process of compression of mind or consciousness.  During this process, it makes sense that we are exposed to noise and problems with our interpretation of things based on personal biases.  Mapping out precise, reproducible astral levels or realms, that are always perceived to be the same seems unlikely based on this paradigm.  Noise, interference, and personal interpretation will change much of the landscape. 

From my own point of view, there is little difference between astral exploration and lucid dreaming  - but there are differences.  Both are explorations of the mind in a nonphysical realm.  Much of the substance of a lucid dream seems to be of our own creation, and yet we are interacting in an environment that appears real with characters and personalities.  In a lucid dream, there may be more symbolic dialogue with other entities - pehaps we enter into a lucid dream when our relaxed mind wants to be in control of an exploration.  I would not trivialize the meaning of lucid dreaming though by calling it pure fantasy; I believe that often there are subtle messages we are meant to understand in conversations or images seen during these dreams.

I've had a bit of an "issue" with the idea of astral exploration simply because I think it artificially moves Mind from the physical body to an astral one.  Our pure thought/spirit is, at its core not bound by a form, and so I sometimes feel that the notion of creating this vehicle, interesting as it is, is still missing the point.  The person shifts their identification into an astral "body," when our real nature is one of mind/energy.

I like Don's question about the interpretor getting fooled and people mixing imagination with true contact with a deceased entity (the slipping of a spiritual direct contact into a lucid dream).  I believe that Ingo Swann developed a manul for remote viewing (available for free on the web) in which he developed simple exercises for "turning off" the interpretor during remote viewing.  Some were more successful at it than others.  His techniques would likely be invaluable to afterlfe explorers (even if Swann does not believe in an afterlife!).

Matthew

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 4:05am

Don

“You make valid points that we cannot simply brush over” They must be addressed with similar logic to yours.

None of us, me included, seem to come back with absolutely irrefutable true unique facts and knowledge previously unknown to humanity.

But some credence should be given to my successful experiments on the forum involving both remote viiewing and telepathy.

An analogy to your viewpoint could be similar to that of the skeptics of the UFO phenomenon, in that if thes were truly beings from an advanced civilization, why the heck do they not land on the White house lawn.?

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.