Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
OBE and Phasing Evidence for an Afterlife (Read 36384 times)
Berserk

Afterlife Knowledge Member

OBE and Phasing Evidence for an Afterlife
Feb 17th, 2005 at 2:00pm

In my "Lilac Cologne" post, Roger asked me another question that I've not yet addressed.  He asked me how I'd assess the claim that OBEs prove the existence of an afterlife.  I'd like to address his query in this post, but expand it to  include various types of "phasing". 

I prefer words like "convincing" or "persuasive" to "proven". In philosophical analysis of the soul concept, at least 2 models dominate: the "ghost within a machine" view and the view that the body [brain] is like a transmitter and consciousness
is like radio waves that vibrate with unique frequencies to produce our sense of an individual soul.  If the "ghost within a machine" view is correct, then proof of survival seems more conceivable.  But if the transmitter view is correct, then it must be asked whether the energy of consciousness permanently ceases to funcion as such when the transmitter is destroyed.  Alternatively, it can be asked whether a spiritual body or light form operating in other dimensions can transmit the same vibration that reconstitutes the individual.  Of course, these are just analogies.  But the 2nd one makes me reluctant to imagine  "proof."

Just a word on why I want to expand the scope of inquiry to include all forms of "phasing," including Bruce's method of Focused Imagination.  Obviously, this expansion is warranted as a courtesy to Bruce.  But beyond that, I've recently changed my mind.  A couple of years ago on Robert Bruce's site, someone told me he experienced both OBEs and Bruce's mode of astral exploration.  He added that OBEs are much more convincing and that Bruce's method, though it can promote genuine astral experiences, can more easily be delusory.  I was intially influenced by this claim.  But upon further reflection, I now reaize that the most convincing astral explorer of all, Emanuel Swedenborg, used a method more akin to Bruce's than OBEs.  I'm also now convinced that the early Christian apostles, prophets, and mystics probably explored the heavenly realms through a method similar to Bruce's.  Towards the end Bob Monroe seems to have preferred the term "phasing" to "OBE."

To be sure, I have serious misgivings with several astral claims made by both Bruce and Robert Monroe.  But, after rereading Monroe's books, I now realize that he taxes my credulity far more than Bruce's books do.  Besides, I've not yet read 2 of Bruce's books!  Initially, I am in the process of attempting to explore by OBE, but only because of the resources I currently have on hand.

Here are the 5 questions I propose to explore.  I will gradually offer my answers over time, but, as always, I encourage anyone to jump in with their two cents worth whenever they feel so inclinced.

A. Are Sleep-induced OBEs more than lucid dreams?
B. Can LAB tests prove that the soul can really
    leave the body and be present at a soecified
    identification target in another room?
C.  How should we assess the general superiority
     of  natural OBEs or "phasing" as compared with
     induced OBEs?
D. What are the most evidential OBEs during NDEs?
E.  How should we assess the contradictions
     between OBE (and "phasing") adepts and the
     higly varied credibility of the evidence they
     provide?

IP Logged

Berserk

Re: OBE and Phasing Evidence for an Afterlife
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 3:04pm

A. ARE SLEEP-INDUCED OBES MORE THAN MERE
    LUCID DREAMS?

Keith Harary. a lab-tested OBE adept, alleges that, during an OBE, he floated above his body and noticed a bedroom candle still burning.  He put his "face" close to the candle and blew it out.  Upon awakening, he noticed that the candle had completely burned down.  He concluded that his OBE efforts had blown out a non-physical candle. 

Stephen LaBerge, an expert on lucid dream research, rightly counters that the illusion of blowing out a physical candle shows that Harary was merely having a lucid dream.  LaBerge has had some OBE lucid dreams and dismisses sleep-induced OBEs as misunderstood lucid dreams.

If OBE adepts can be so easily fooled, one wonders how many, if any, sleep-induced OBEs are genuine.  I myself have experienced a few OBE dreams.  During the dreams and shortly after awakening, I was absolutely sure that I had just experienced a genuine OBE.  I had floated near the ceiling and gazed down at my sleeping body.  I had argued with a dream character that I was back in bed and that she was a mere figment of my imagination.  She seemed totally independent of my will and acted horrified by my claim.   Some of these dreams engaged my senses just as vividly as waking life.   But upon later reflection, I realized that these were just dreams.  For some of these dreams, this realization seemed more immediately apparent than for others.  For example, during my argument with a "dream lady" about his illusory status, I was ostensibly in Boston at high noon when in fact I was sleeping in Western New York in the small hours of the morning.

Sleep-induced partnered exploration of the astral can be challenged in the same way.  Keith Harary had previously experienced the well-attested phenomenon of shared dreams.  Harary's co-dreamer later confirmed that the context of their shared dream was the same.  If such shared dreams do not qualify as OBEs, then the overlapping experiences claimed for partnered astral exploration may not demonstrate genuine exploration of astral dimensions. 

Even telepathic hits durng partnered exploration may have no probative value in demonstrating the reality of such dimensions.  Dream telepathy has been demonstrated in research conducted at the Maimonides Hospital in Brooklyn.  When the subjects were in REM sleep, someone in another room focused on an art reproduction and tried telepathically to transmit an image of the painting to the sleeper.  The sleeper was awakened for dream reports after each REM period.  Judges were later able to impressively match dream reports with the pictures projected during those dreams. 

LaBerge expresses 2 misgivings about claims that shared dreams constitute genuine astral travel:
(1) Closer analysis sometimes proves that these co-dreamers share identical dream plots, but differ significantly in their recollection of minor details.  This point intrigues me.  In reading about the partnered explorations in "Curiosity's Father", I was more impressed by the differences than the similarities.  (2) It has never been proven that these shared dreams were experienced at the same time during REM sleep.   If each co-dreamer experienced the "same" dream plot at different times, then the similarities should probably be ascribed to ESP rather than to an OBE.

This dream research might explain away some intriguing claims on the "Astralpulse" website.  One astral explorer claimed to enter the fictional worlds of writers through OBEs.  He even claimed to discover plot lines of works in progress that the author-acquaintance had not yet divulged.  This claim prompted me to ask myself: "If this is possible, then why not assume that all OBEs are just variants of lucid dreams spiced up by the ESP triggered by psi-conducive states?"

On the other hand, Charles Tart tested a Miss Z whose REMs decreased during her alleged OBEs.  Decreased REMs have been reported during the OBEs of other subjects as well.  This pattern suggests that at least some sleep-induced OBEs are not just dreams.  But were the OBEs genuine?  Miss Z correctly identified a 5-digit number that was placed on a high shelf out of her visual range.  Monitoring devices were attached that prevented her from cheating by getting up.  But she might have gleaned the number by reading Tart's mind.  There was also a weak possibility that the target constituted a subliminal stimulus in its reflection from a plsatic clock surface in the room.  In any case, this success has not been replicated.

Of course, Bruce's method applies to waking consciousness and not all OBEs are sleep-induced.  This means that the scientific study of trance states is more appropriate in analyzing his method than sleep.  And of course, as Bruce keeps reminding us, there is no substitute for direct experience.  Hopefully, I just need an upgraded quality of direct experience of the astral realm.

IP Logged

freebird
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 3:27pm

May I interject a brief thought?  I have often wondered whether imagination, meditation, dreaming, lucid dreaming, astral travel, OBEs, and NDEs represent a spectrum of experience going from normal waking consciousness to the consciousness of the spirit world.  Perhaps there is no clear-cut point at which a person is either "in the body" or "out of the body."  In other words, perhaps at all times we are to varying degrees in the body or out of the body, depending on where the primary focus of our consciousness lies.  In waking reality it is the body/senses and rational mind alone.  In imagination and meditation it is a combination of the body and the mind, and maybe some elements of the spirit world in certain cases.  In dreams it is mostly the mind, especially the subconscious, sometimes partially the body, and sometimes partially the spirit world.  In lucid dreams, astral travel, and OBEs it might be more open to the spirit world and have no influence from the body.  In NDEs it may be primarily the spirit world with only some degree of influence from the subconscious mind, and none at all from the body/senses.  In death, of course, it is only the spirit world.

I guess what I'm saying is, consciousness could be more complicated then simply an in-body/out-of-body dichotomy.  Of course that jives with the idea of "Focus Levels" I have read about on Bruce Moen's website.  Just a thought for everyone's consideration.

Freebird

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 12:28am

B. CAN LAB TESTS PROVE THAT SOULS CAN REALLY
    LEAVE THE BODY TO BE PRESENT AT A SPECIFIED
    IDENTIFICATON TARGET?

Not to trivialize Freebird's speculations, but unless the soul in some sense leaves the body during OBEs, it is harder to preclude ESP as the proper explanation for target identifications.  Most OBE lab research focuses on verification of one's departure from the body; so let's assume for the sake of argument that this orientation is correct.

LaBerge's critique of some of Keith Harary's claims has merit, but LaBerge is hard pressed to explain away Harary's OBEs in a Duke University lab under controlled conditions.  Harary reposed in a room a half mile from the room where his 2 kittens were confined.   He tried to project in 8 designated periods and make his OBE presence known to the kittens.  How?  Well, it was determined that the kittens would normally not meeow during his physical presence.  The kittens meeowed 37 times during 8 control periods during Harary's absence,  but not once during 8 OBE visits from him.  To me, it seems more likely that the kittens were detecting his OBE presence than that there was simply ESP communication between kittens and owner. 

In a similar experiment with a hostile snake, the snake rose up and struck the side of its container at precisely the moment Harary claimed to have been in front of the snake in his OBE state.  The snake's timing is striking, but unlike the kittens, the snake then curled up, fell asleep, and refused to cooperate with science.  Sad

Robert Crookall analyzed over 700 OBE reports and found that 81%  of the claimants acquired a firm conviction of postmortem survival directly from their OBEs.  But given Harary's OBE skills, I am haunted by his adamant rejection of the claim that OBEs prove the existence of life after death. 

Karlis Osis and Donna McCormack tried to eliminate telepathy as an explanation for OBEs.  They conducted "perspective tests" in which a box was placed on a shelf in  a room about 40 feet from 2 strapped-down OBE adepts, Alex Tanous and Pat Price.  The box had a viewing window which distorted the image of the object displayed inside.  The researchers made two assumptions: (1) If OBEs are merely hallucinations or lucid dreams accompanied by ESP, then the actual object in the box might be described.  (2) If Tanous or Price was having a genuine OBE, their description of the object should reflect the distortion created by the naked eye's point of view, as if they were actually hovering in front of the viewing window.  To rule out mind-reading, a machine randomly selected the object to be viewed.   Though they often failed in their attempts, Tanous and Price scored many hits--all from the naked eye's point of view.  The researchers concluded that they had actually left their bodies to make their identifications.

Dutch scientists weighed the bodies of adepts before, during, and after the OBEs.  They found a weight loss of 2 1/4 ounces during the OBEs.  This finding would be exciting if it had been replicated.  But so far no one has replicated the finding. 

But the role of weight or force was measured in another experiment involving Tanous and Price.   In their OBEs they tried to "see" a target in another room, a target to which a feather and a strain gauge were attached.   Several correct target identifications were accompanied by the anticipated pschokinetic effects.  This study, of course, assumes that the feather's movement and gauge's registration of force are best explained in terms of the subjects actually being present at the target during their OBEs. 

Sometimes, unanticipated evidence emerges from lab accidents.  For example, in one experiment, the subject floated through the wall to observe the target in the next room and found it pitch black.    He angrily complained, "How do you expect results from me when you can't be bothered to  turn on the light?"   Actually, he had inadvertently produced significant results!   Unknown to everyone, the light bulb in the next room had blown.  His awareness of this cannot be explained as ESP.

IP Logged

freebird
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 1:15am

Quote:
Dutch scientists weighed the bodies of adepts before, during, and after the OBEs.  They found a weight loss of 2 1/4 ounces during the OBEs.  This finding would be exciting if it had been replicated.  But so far no one has replicated the finding.  

But the role of weight or force was measured in another experiment involving Tanous and Price.   In their OBEs they tried to "see" a target in another room, a target to which a feather and a strain gauge were attached.   Several correct target identifications were accompanied by the anticipated pschokinetic effects.  This study, of course, assumes that the feather's movement and gauge's registration of force are best explained in terms of the subjects actually being present at the target during their OBEs.  

There was a study done in 1907 by Duncan MacDougall, M.D.  Using highly sensitive equipment, he found that people suddenly lost a small amount of weight at the exact moment of death, which could not be accounted for by any explanation other than the soul leaving the body.  It was significantly less than 2 1/4 ounces, however.  Maybe the soul of a person at death is weak and burned out, so it weighs less, whereas a healthy person having an OBE would have a soul with more mass and thus more weight loss.

One problem with MacDougall's study is that it only involved six people.  Another strange finding is that a couple of the people lost weight at death and then suddenly lost more weight again a few minutes later.  I suppose this could be explained if the person had an attached entity such as an earthbound human or demon.  Yet another interesting finding -- and unfortunate, if this research can be trusted -- is that when MacDougall tested 15 dogs, none of them showed weight loss at death, implying that dogs have no soul.

Anyone who wants to read the story MacDougall published about his experiment can read it at http://www.ghostweb.com/soul.html

To my knowledge, this 1907 study has not been replicated.  If anyone knows of a more recent study of a similar nature, please let us know.

Freebird

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 6:26pm

C. HOW SHOULD WE ASSESS THE GENERAL
    SUPERIORITY OF NATURAL OBES OR "PHASING"
    AS COMPARED WITH INCUDED OBES?

From his study of over 700 OBEs, Robert Crookall (died: 1981)  concludes that spontaneous or natural OBEs tend to be  more evidentially impressive than willed or induced OBEs.  In my view, this descrepancy needs further scrutiny and should perhaps be factored into our attempts to synthesize often conflicting astral claims into a provisional, coherent view of the afterlife realms.  Crookall's conclusion can be reinforced by modern research on OBEs during NDEs.   In my view, the quality of verifications provided by spontaneous NDE far exceeds that of induced OBEs, so much so that I will devote a special section just to NDEs.

Apart from NDEs, the spontaneous OBEs that most impress me are well-attested cases of bilocation. 
I've previously posted my first example on this site, but not my second example.   

(1) In September, 1774 Alphonse Ligouri, a Catholic monk, went into a cateleptic trance and remained motionless in his cell for 5 days.   When he awoke, he announced that had been at the bedside of Pope Clement XIV and that the pope was now dead.  The startled monks dismissed the story as pure fantasy.  Rome was at least 4 days away by horse and carriage, and there had been no official word of Clement's condition.   But news of Clement's death arrived a few days later.  Was Father Ligouri actually there in spirit or is his alleged OBE explicable in terms of ESP combined with a dissociative experience?  No, unimpeachable witnesses later verified that he was there!   Superiors of the Dominican, Observatine, and Augustinian orders all later confirmed that they were with Father Ligouri as he prayed at the pope's bedside!  This is perhaps the best attested case of bilocation ever recorded.

(2) My late 19th century example demonstrates the folly of dismissing all OBEs as mere lucid dreams:
"Mr. S. R. Wilmot sailed from Liverpool to New York, passing through a severe storm.  During the 8th night of the storm, he had a dream in which he saw his wife come to the door of the stateroom.  She looked about and seeing that her husband was not the only occupant of the room, hesitated a little, then advanced to his side, stooped down and kissed him, and after gently caressing him for a few
moments, quietly withdrew.

Upon awakening from this dream, Mr. Wilmot was surprised to hear his fellow passenger, Mr. William J. Tait, say to him: `Your a pretty fellow to have a lady come and visit you in this way.'  Pressed for an explanation, Mr. Tai related what he had seen while wide awake, lying in his berth.   It exactly corresponded with the dream of Mr. Wilmot! 

When meeting his wife in Watertown, Conn., Mr. Wilmot was almost immediately asked by her: `Did you receive a visit from me a week ago Tuesday?'  Although Mr. Wilmot had been more than a thousand miles at sea on that particular night, his wife asserted: `It seemed to me that I visited you.'
She told her husband that on account of the severity of the weather and the reported loss of another vessel, she had been extremely anxious about him.  On the night of the occurrence she had lain awake for a long time and at about 4 o'clock in the morning it seemed to her that she left her physical self and went out to seek her husband, crossing the stormy sea until she came to his stateroom.   She continued: `A man was in the upper berth, looking right at me, and for a moment, I was afraid to go in; but soon I went up to the side of your berth, bent down and kissed you, and embraced you, and then went away.'" (quoted from Janet Mitchell, "Out-of-Body Experiences," 62f.)

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 10:09pm

D. WHAT ARE THE MOST EVIDENTIAL OBEs DURING
     NDEs?

(1) To me the most exciting survival evidence from NDEs is marshalled in Kenneth Ring's latest book, "Mindsight."   Ring documents the visual NDEs of 30 blind people.  Vicki Umipeg is one of the best examples.  Born blind, she is unable  to experience visual dreams.  Yet during her NDE Vicki "sees" dazzling colors that she of course has trouble distinguishing.  She encounters many people, including her grandma and two formerly retarded and blind ex-schoolmates, all of whom are brightly colored.  But Vicki's most dramatic and significant encounter is with Jesus, "a figure whose radiance is far greater than the illumination of any of the persons that she has so far encountered."

These cases suggest that once the soul detaches from the body it can experience any sense it is unable to experience during physical existence.  But the probative value of these cases is somewhat undermined by the absence of a similar study demonstrating that the deaf can hear voices and sounds never heard before during NDEs.  If that too can be proven, then we will be closer to proving the xxistence of a soul which can exist apart from the body.

(2) Another type of survival evidence derives from NDE cases in which people "hear" conversations both in and far from the operating room and "see" the operation of  medical equipment and objects far from the operating room.   Here are just three impressively verified examples:   

(a) During her NDE, Maria "saw" a distant sneaker with a worn toe and a shoelace underneath it on a 3rd floor ledge of the Seattle hospital in which she was being treated for her serious heart attack.   
A hospital social worker later verified her report. 

(b) W. A. Lafmann saw an old friend, Mr. Blose, during his hospital OBE:  "I tried to greet Mr. Blose by hitting him on the back, but my arm went through him...I saw that he went across the street and looked into a shop window where a miniature `Ferris Wheel' was on display."  Mr. Blose later verified Lafmann's report about the `Ferris Wheel.'

(c) Third, consider Mrs. R.M.s hospital OBE: "I wondered where my daughter was and the next instant I was standing beside her in a gift shop.  She was looking at some `Get Well' cards.  I could `hear' her read the verse.  She decided it would be disrespectful and bought another.  Then I was back in my body.  When my daughter came with the card, I repeated the verse she had read [from the unpurchased card!]."  The OBEs in (b) and (c) were experienced by seriously ill hospitalized patients, but it remains unclear whether their OBEs should be classified as NDEs.   

Skeptics have challenged the value of NDEs in which the patients accurately describe operating room equipment and procedures.   How do we know that these patients lacked prior knowledge of this?  To settle this question, cardiologist Michael Sabom (1982) compared the accuracy of the descriptions by NDE patients of resuscitations with the descriptions by cardiac patients who experienced no NDE, but who were asked to imagine what a resuscitation looked like.  The results showed that near-death experiencers were describing actual OBE observations of their resuscitation rather than imagined events. 

(3) Unique verifications emerge from NDE cases in which two distant experiences of dying are interconnected.   Sometimes a patient sees someone in the NDE tunnel who has died so recently that neither the patient nor his family has yet learned of this death.  Then there is the case of Albert Baldeo, a friend of my Dad [posted previously].   Albert was present at his father's deathbed.  Just before dying at 12 noon, his father gazed in the distance and said, "Hurry up, brother.  Hurry  Up!"   At exactly the same time, the brother of Albert's Dad was dying in a nursing home 10 miles away.  Just before dying, this brother was observed by witnesses to shout, "Wait for me, brother!  Wait for me!"  A perfect fit! 

(4) Less commonly, there are cases where children encounter relatives in the astral tunnel that they have never heard of.  These children later tell their parents something like, "She said she was my Aunt Doris.  Did I have an Aunt Doris who died?"

(5) A patient can occasionally be healed during her NDE.  Consider the [previously posted] case of Phyllis.  A couple of years ago, I met this highly skeptical woman at a wedding reception.  Phyllis had a PhD in medical research.  Being exceptionally cerebral, she retreated from her emotions in times of crisis.  Her mother had recently died and she couldn't deal with this; so she didn't.  Then she experienced her own crisis, a serious car accident that launched her into an NDE.  She found herself ascending to "a mall that wasn't really a mall," complete with a small orchestra playing softly in the background.  It was a mall composed of white light.  Phyllis came to a table at which her deceased mother was seated.  When Phyllis sat down, her mother admonished her intensely, "YOU HAVEN'T COME TO TERMS WITH MY DEATH.  YOUR DETACHED REACTION IS BLOCKING MY PROGRESS HERE!"  This uncomfortable conversation was anything but the expected warm mother-daughter encounter.  Phyllis felt relief when she was able to return to her body.  She fully recovered from her injuries. 

Not long after, she was back in the hospital to have surgery for a life-threatening illness.  As her condition worsened, she had her second NDE.  Back she returned to the mall in Paradise.  Once again, she joined her mother seated at a table.  Phyllis dreaded this contact because she had tried to forget about her mother's last NDE challenge.  The unearthly music played by the mall orchestra provided little comfort.  "YOU STILL HAVEN'T DEALT WITH MY PASSING!  I WANT TO MAKE PROGRESS HERE!"  Then her mother did something very interesting.  She pointed to the table and declared, "YOU HAVE TO MAKE THIS DISAPPEAR!" 

The table was apparently a part of elaborate thought structures that bound Mom to her daughter's problems.  I was shocked by her mother's claim because I had assumed that excessive grief--not detachment--inhibits the progress of our deceased loved ones.  Feeling very ashamed, a sulking Phyllis finally said, "WELL, I GUESS I'LL RETURN TO MY BODY NOW." 

Her mother's startling reply was totally unexpected: "NO, YOU'RE NOT READY TO RETURN YET.  YOU NEED TO GO WITH THESE PEOPLE."  Two men appeared and escorted her to "an elevator that wasn't really an elevator."  It as an elevator of of white light.  They ascended to a Healing Center where Phyllis experienced a procedure that she couldn't understand.  When she returned to her body, she was completely healed and didn't need her surgery!  She wondered, "What did they do to me and what can humanity learn from this?"  Can astral adepts visit this center and receive a healing for conditions that earthly doctors cannot treat?  I'm fascinated by this question.      

IP Logged

Roger B
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 12:19pm

Don-

To add another example, I used to share an office with an older woman who told me about her experience undergoing breast cancer surgery at Bethesda Naval Hospital.

Blanche had the typical experience of having lifted out of her body after she was under anathesia, rising to a  point somewhere above her body and near the ceiling, and watching and hearing everything that was going on.  After she was revived, the doctors told her they had come close to losing her during the operation.

She said she knew that, because she could observe  all of the frantic activity going on to try to revive her.  She later told the doctors about what was said and to whom, and told me they were stunned at the clarity and accuracy of her recollections but didn't seem to want to pursue it, instead just telling her she must have had enough sensory input to have picked up on all of it.  She also described the immense feeling of peace and serenity and how she didn't want to come back to her pain wracked body but she still had younger kids then and knew she had to be there for them.  Otherwise she said she would have gladly slipped away, indicating (altho I don't recall her saying so) that the decision to return was pretty much up to her.

Well, doctors especially in the 1970s probably didn't want to acknowledge the possibility that the body just might be comprised of more than flesh and blood, not to mention the possible existence of an afterlife.

This of course doesn't "prove" anything, there are many examples of this sort of thing happening, but it just adds another case to the growing body of experiences that indicate that something is going on that medical science has yet to be able to clearly identify.

I think as long as the person having the NDE returns to the body and relates what they experienced, it is going to be extremely difficult to say that this conclusively proves the existence of the afterlife. 

But just like the cases of demonic possession and the cases of people who are inexpicably saved from what would have been a certain death, it's one of those grand mysteries that is reluctant to give us much more than a brief peek at what lies beyond.

Roger
ps- I am anxious to hear your reaction to Newton's books if and when you read them.  They give a possible insight into things that, at least for me, I don't recall reading elsewhere.

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 2:15pm

Betty Eadie's book "Embraced by the Light" was a bestseller for two years for good reason.  Betty experienced one of the most in depth NDEs of all time.  She also experienced a spectacular verification of its authenticity.  During her OBE, she encountered the unborn daughter she was ultimately destined to adopt.  On January 13, 2004 she was interviewed by George Noory on "Coast to Coast."  I will quote from the transcript:   

"I went on the learn that each one of us came to earth by choice,...that we actually chose our parents, and our life situations that we would experience.  And we did this so that we would have the spiritual growth that was necessary for each of us as individuals."

The most compelling OBEs are often those that clash with one's preconceptions and are therefore less likely to be the delusory product of wishful thinking.  Note that Betty's NDE forced a belief system crash in which she felt compelled to abandon her former belief in reincarnation: 

"I always believed in reincarnation because that was the only thing that made sense to me before the experience.  But during the experience, I actually asked about reincarnation, and I was told that reincarnation upon this earth--going through life's repeated lives--would not be necessary for the majority of the people, that there are other worlds that God created, and that our continued education would be best served in those places instead of here."

This perspective receives independent confirmation from the biblical and early Jewish teaching about the soul's preexistence, a teaching which neither Betty Eadie nor most Christians seem to be aware of.  For an in depth analysis of the case against reincarnation in the early church and Judaism, see my post "Reincarnation in the Bible and Early Church?" in the "Judaism and Early Church" section of Robert Bruce's "Astralpulse" forums. 

The prexistence of the soul is a standard Jewish belief in late antiquity.  Thus the Essenes believed that "the soul is immortal and imperishable.  Emanating from the finest ether, these souls become entangled, as it were, in the prison house of the body, to which they were dragged down by a sort of natural enticement (Josephus, Jewish Wars 2.8.11)."  And when were souls created in the first place?  2 Enoch, an apocalyptic Jewish work from c. 50 AD offers this answer: "For all the souls are prepared for eternity before the formation of the earth (23:5)."  In the Old Testament, Jeremiah's prophetic calling seems to have been prearranged during his soul's preexistent phase: "The Word of God came to me, saying, `Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you; before you came to birth, I consecrated you, I appointed you as a prophet to the nations (Jeremiah 1:4-5)."  More intriguing is the implication in the Catholic Old Testament that the soul can acquire a good or bad character prior to birth: "I was a boy of happy disposition.  I had received a good soul as my lot, OR RATHER, BEING GOOD, I HAD ENTERED AN UNDEFILED BODY (Wisdom of Solomon 8:19-20)."

Many New Agers mistakenly assume that the disciples' question in John 9:1-2 implies a belief in reincarnation: "As Jesus went along, He saw a man born blind from birth.  His disciples asked Him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?'  `Neither this man nor his parents sinned,' Jesus replied, `but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.'"  Bible commentaries typically contend that the disciples' question reflects a rabbinic belief that a fetus can sin in its mother's womb.  But this rabbinic belief stems from around 300 AD--far too late to serve as the background for John 9:1-2.  Rather, the disciples' question reflects the belief attested in the Wisdom of Solomon that the soul can acquire a good or bad character prior to birth
Jesus does not dispute this belief, but merely asserts that this particular blind man was not born blind because of his own sins committed in his preexistent state.

The Coptic Gospel of Thomas is a collection of sayings of Jesus put together in eastern Syria between the late first and early second centuries.  Two sayiings in this Gospel ascribe a belief in the soul's preexistence to Jesus: "Blessed is he who came into being before he came into being (Gospel of Thomas 19)."  "The man who is old in days will not hesitate to ask  a child seven days old about the place of life, and he will live (Gospel of Thomas 4)."   The latter saying is an example of Semitic hyperbole: it does not seriously assume that babies that young can talk; rather, it implies that if they could talk, they could potentially recount their prior existence in heaven.

Note that Betty Eadie's NDE allows for the possibility that a very few souls actually do reincarnate.  This implication differs from biblical teaching and clashes with the anti-reincarnation stances of astral adept Emanuel Swedenborg and the prolific medium, Susie Smith.  I believe that even the best astral souces inform us about what is generally the case, but not necessarily about what is always the case.

NOTE: This post will initiate a flurry of often controversial posts from me to tie up loose ends from my prior posts.   I apologize for once again being a bit of a board hog.  But I pledge to you that, 2 weeks from today (Mnnday), I will begin a vacation of at least 2 months from this site to renew my efforts to experience a genuine OBE.  True, so far I've learned by direct experience that my OBEs and retrievals are not authentic.  But I am a  great believer in the importance of replication and the need to reassess my current skepticism.  I am now motivated to try a 2-pronged approach: (1) disciplined practice with my complete set of Gateway CDs; (2) practice of the excellent methods described in the new guide by Robert Bruce and Brian Mercer, "Masterying Astral Projection: 90-Day Guide to Out-of-Body Experience."

IP Logged

Roger B
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 12:30pm

Don-

I read her book some time ago.  Thanks for the reminder.  But something tells me there was a controversy about her book?  Maybe to the effect that it wasn't quite legit??  I dunno, I could be wrong.

She is consistent with Seth re choosing to come to earth and choosing our parents and our life experiences ahead of time.  Consistent also with Michael Newton.

Re preexistence of the soul, ACIM says that also.  But it also says at one time we and God were One, and then for some inexplicable reason we chose to separate from God.  We, not God, created this world and our bodies.  After all, ACIM's logic goes, God is incapable of creating anything less than Perfect and less than Eternal.  And since our bodies age and decay, and since nothing on the earth lasts forever (including the earth itself), they could not have been created by Him.  I find that logic pretty compelling.

There are, however, several big problems with ACIM.  First, it never explains why we chose to separate from God apart from a reference to a "mad" idea to do so.  Second, if at some point we and God were One, it would seem impossible for such a mad (or insane as sometimes it's called) idea to even arise.  Third, it never explains what happens in the interim between our lives in physical bodies and the time when we re-join God.  It sidesteps the issue of reincarnation and never explains what happens when we die.  Do we assume a sort of intermediate existence as a spirit? 

Finally it is 100% different from Seth in that the latter describes earth as a school.  We are here to learn.  Newton's hypnotized clients agree with this view.  But ACIM disparages the earth....in fact pretty much trashes it.  It is a place full of illusions, delusions, and a snare and a trap.  It is nothing more than an empty facade which we ourselves created. 

We might think the earth is a place of beauty, but that's because we've forgotten the ecstacy of full union with God.  The only way back to God is when we are able to view all people as our brother, totally without sin or guilt.  We need to look upon a serial killer with love and forgiveness.  But ACIM says sin doesn't exist, so how can we forgive something that was never a sin in the first place?  Seems to me we have to first see something to forgive it, but in the very act of seeing what we think of as a sin, we are only experiencing an illusion.  Cute huh?  A catch-22 if I ever heard it.

Since even a full lifetime won't enable 99.9% of us to be able to do what ACIM says we must do, what happens when we die?  ACIM never says.  At least Seth and Newton and others say we continue to evolve either here on earth or someplace else. 

And this brings up yet another dilemma- if our souls were created Perfect to begin with, what exactly is it that needs learning or improving?? 

Best of luck in achieving a genuine OBE.  I presume you've read  Wm Buhlman, he also gives specific steps in accomplishing this.

IP Logged

Justin2710
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 12:39pm

Hi Roger,

There is a beautiful sentiment that i read in a great little fictional book called "Illusions" written by Richard Bach.   There is a part where Donald, the narraters friend who happens to be a fully "enlightened Master" type talks about how everything is an illusion.   So, Richard says something along the lines of whats the point....so that beautiful sunset is not real and means nothing....etc.    Donald replies something to the effect that the form of all he described is an illusion, but the beauty of it or within it is very real and that there is a very important difference.   

Well, its a great little read and even my super skeptical friend loved it. 

Take care and all the best

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 2:11pm

Roger,

No, Roger, Betty Eadie's NDE has been no more discredited than any other NDE.  Because hers is the most famous NDE, she has been targeted as a New Age heretic by conservative Christian groups.  For example, her claim to discover that the soul preexists prior to birth is dismissed as non-biblical.  Precisely for that reason, my post about her defends her claim as very biblical.  Like many NDErs, Betty blends her NDE account with her own theological perspectives, but it is usually easy to separate the two. 

Atheist types try to discredit her NDE by alluding to her affinities with New Agers and Mormonism.  But Mormonism does not teach reincarnation and Betty was an avowed reincarnationist prior to her NDE.  With its impressive verification, her NDE is a powerful example of how an OBE gains veracity by inducing a belief system crash.  In Betty's case, she learns  that her pro-reincarnation stance is incorrect.

Like Betty, I myself am impaled on the horns of a dilemma.  On the one hand, My anti-reincarnation stance makes my posts threatening to many of this site's New Agers.  On the other hand, my respect for OBEs, NDEs, and astral exploration makes me appear as a dangerous New Ager to some of my Christian brethren.  I can only respond: "To thine own self be true."

IP Logged

Roger B
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 9:57am

Well Don, I wish you well in your quest but are you prepared for what might happen assuming you don't succeed? 

I presume your own belief in the afterlife will be unchanged, but maybe not. 

I continue to be baffled as to why these OBE adepts simply do not arrange for a conclusive demonstration of their abilities.  Per their books, they can do them almost at will and they presume to tell us how we can do them also.

And certainly the media these days would love to follow such a story.  In the old days with just the 3 networks, forget it.  But today with the highly competitive atmosphere of cable TV not to mention online journalists and bloggers, this story would easily pop up on any number of outlets, not just in obscure books or journals.

I can accept the probability that scientists would not pursue it at least initially, but the media these days pursues virtually anything and everything. 

The fact that this doesn't happen makes me wonder what's going on.  Either there is a lot of exaggeration in what the adepts say, or the world they enter while OB is so different from our waking world that verification is at best a dicey proposition.

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 12:40am

Well said, Roger!

In my response to you, I want to make it clear that I am not presuming to pass judgment on Bruce.  I am just curious why Bruce or other astral adepts on this site haven't established the astral priorities that I would establish.  To explain my wannabe priorities, I will comment on 2 of Bruce's claims about Focus 27 in the FAQ section of this site.

(1) "Want to meet Jesus Christ, Buddha, Mohammed or any other religious figure?  Just express the desire and they'll appear before you to answer any question you can think to ask."

COMMENT: During his astral projections, Bruce learns of visits by Jesus to various dimensions.  Yet despite his Lutheran background, Bruce offers no report of his conversations with Jesus.  Whether one is a Christian or not, one must recognize that Jesus is a very high being in the astral realm.  During NDEs, Jesus is commonly identified as the Being of Light.  Surely, He's worth contacting to see what light He can shed on the astral realm.   For that matter, so are Buddha and Mohammed.

Perhaps Jesus would decline a visit with Bruce or any of the rest of us.  If so, that too would be most instructive and would contradict Bruce's FAQ assertion.  But Bruce doesn't even report making the effort or why he chose not to make the effort to contact Jesus.  I just wonder why.

(2) "Would you like to know every detail about any event in human history?  Go to the Education Center and Helpers there will show you how to access the information." 

COMMENT: Occasionally, posters recount their alleged visits to the Education Center.  When they do, they usually just find confirmation of their New Age orthodoxy.  [Please advise if any of you know of exceptions.]  If asked why they didn't ask for something decisively verifiable, they typically answer: "That's your agenda, not mine."  I find this brush-off hard to accept.  Suppose their research in the Center uncovered the cure for Cancer or even the location of Jimmy Hoffa's remains.   Suppose further that they could replicate similar impressive discoveries.  Then their astral visits could potentially change human destiny and spark a worldwide interest in astral travel and retrievals.  Why wouldn't every astral explorer want that?

Roger, your last post implicitly raises the issue of why well-published astral adepts don't regularly join in partnered astral exploration and attend conventions where they read papers and critique each other's work from their own experience and insights.  Though I am currently an astral inept (sigh!), I will soon compose a post that illustrates how such a comparative approach might bear fruit.  IMHO, The lack of such an ongoing dialogue among the experts is a major reason why astral exploration seems more like a cult phenomenon than a respectable academic discipline.

Don 

IP Logged

Touching Souls

LOVE IS ALL, SHINE YOUR
LIGHT THAT OTHERS MAY
SEE

Metaline Falls, WA
Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 11:26am

Don, just for the record, anyone can talk to Yeshua. I do regularly. Wink

Love and Light,
Mairlyn  Wink

I AM THAT I AM -- WE ARE ALL ONE -- TOUCHING SOULS
Wink
WWW minniecricket2000  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.